• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070/1080 cost the same as 680/670 (after FX & inflation)

At the end of the day, I suspect a small but vocal set of people here just really don't like finding out things they don't already know, particularly when it's not to their advantage. Using maths and considering what causes changes isn't being arrogant. If you want to complain about Nvidia's pricing being unheard of, or me pointing out that it's not what it seems, I can't fundamentally stop you. None of that changes the fact that it's incorrect to do so.

Last edited:

If you can't handle the truth, don't post in forums. You have been rude, arrogant and condescending in most of your posts and now you are telling me to STFU.

If you post wrong information, don't be surprised if you get pulled up on it.

Oh, yeah, I will put you out of your misery, there was no 3 chip strategy for the 700 series. The 760 and 770 were both made from the GK104 chip, the 780, titan and 780ti made from the GK110. Two chips, So you were wrong about this too.

To sum this up

You were wrong about the 200 series not having a large chip,
Wrong about the GK110 been the biggest chip ever,
Wrong about Nivida's unified Architecture.
Wrong about when they began their large die sizes.

And you accused me of been wrong about the 960 been a mainstream card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series

Read it, you might learn something.

Of course you are going to tell me to shut up and deflect away from the discussion because you have no answers.

Of course you are going to tell me to shut up and deflect away from the discussion because you have no answers.

You woefully misrepresent what people say. That's pretty much the sum of what I'm saying to you. So go back OT, the 600 series costed about the same as the 10 series.

Last edited:
Some of it's true, some of it's a fabrication. He's been wrong about several things but there's no point actually trying to engage on facts as it just ends up being misrepresent. And none of it relates to the topic. But hey brilliant job on the bitchiness vietboy.

Also, I hear the 10 series doesnt cost any more than the 600 series.

Last edited:
If your bank manager told you that your mortgage would rise from £1000 per month to £1480 in the space of eighteen months, well.... :rolleyes:

That's exactly the type of scenario that has happened in the past, e.g. late 80s rates increased by 7.5% in 18 months which on a typical 25 year term would have that sort of impact.

Lol at how he just ignored the rest of your post melmac.

I think we have a troll here.

My problem with all this is that I genuinely don't understand what he means by three tier strategy, nor what he means by the 200, 400 and 500 series muddying the water. And when I said about the 560ti and 560 becoming the 680 and 670 he said it wasn't that simple and then refuses to expand on that. I just don't get. Maybe I missed something, but if you can point out where he explained this things I really would appreciate it.

He also claims that I don't acknowledge when I am wrong. But He hasn't pointed out anything that I said was wrong yet. Apart from the 960 been mainstream. But I am not backing down about that, it's definitely a mainstream card.

I don't know what he is. It's just really confusing!!

You woefully misrepresent what people say. So go back OT, the 600 series costed about the same as the 10 series.

I haven't misrepresented anything you have tried to say. I know it, you know it and the people reading this thread know it. I will genuinely apologise if you can show me where I have misrepresented what you said. I have pointed out where you were flat out wrong, is that what you call misrepresenting?

So go back OT, the 600 series costed about the same as the 10 series.

Nope because the Top tier 10 series isn't out yet, so you can't make that sort of statement. Second you are comparing Top tier 600 series cards with second tier 10 series cards and reaching a conclusion that you like.

You made it quite plain in our 960 discussions that whatever Nvidia claim the cards to be is what they are. So chip size etc does not matter, it's only where Nvidia has placed them in it's lineup.

680/670 were the top cards of their generation according to Nvidia. The 1080 and 1070 aren't.

Your comparison is interesting in a sort of maths based kind of way. But that's all it is. But sure hey, if you believe prices haven't risen, then good for you.

Small point, but the top tier 600 card was the GTX 690.

Going by the how Nvidia labelled the cards at the time, 670 and 680 were high end, 690 extreme/enthusiast.

In the end this argument about what is high end or not is all rather pointless.

The 1080 is the fastest card you can buy at the moment and the 680 (at least single gpu, IIRC, certainly from Nvida anyway) back in the day so comparing them is fair.

Nivida could have called the 770 a 680ti and probably should have, but it was a bit late, so choose to release a new series name instead even though half the cards weren't much more than a rebrand.

If that would have been the case the 780 would have been the 770 and the 780ti would have been the 780. The naming system changes all the time.

Chances are we were overcharged back then and overcharged now compared to the US.

Non-historical factor here as well that seems to be affecting price. The founders edition. Couple that with A.M.D's decision to launch it's stack from the bottom up.

Two new factors. No rival top tier cards, weird pricing structure where a reference card seems placed much higher up the pricing ladder, effectively pushing price of some non-reference cards beyond the point of acceptability in terms of price.

Theoretically the 960 is an enthusiast grade card (being called a GTX and not GT), but we all know that is not true, and Nvidia knows that as well which is why they mention "mainstream enthusiast" on their website, I mean what the hell is "mainstream enthusiast" ?

The 670 and 680 were not the same tier of cards as the 1070 and 1080 well not in today's market anyways, because Nvidia added to extra cards in their range, which are their top tier. There was the 690 I guess but multi gpu cards are in a different tier of their own IMO. Like I don't consider the 295x2 or pro duo being AMDs top tier cards, it's their top tier cards (ish) x2 at more than 2 cards.

Back
Top Bottom