• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070 Upgrade?

Associate
Hi all,

Some advice on this - I'm currently using a GTX 1070 on a 4k monitor @ 3840x2160 and it definitely feels like it's beginning to struggle.

I'm looking to upgrade but unsure what to. I have my eye on a Gigabyte 2080 SUPER. But contemplating whether or not this is a big enough upgrade to justify the cost?

Any advice appreciated.

Associate
I've had a 1070 for nearly 4 years now but no point upgrading since new gen cards are round the corner from amd and nvidia.
Sit tight as new nvidia gen is reportedly 50 percent faster at least! (new architecture and 7nm new chip)

Associate
I had a 1070 and went to a 2080 (non-super) at around launch. That was a noticeable upgrade at 1440p - but as above, I wouldn't purchase a 2000 series card right now. The next gen is around the corner and if you can lower some settings for the time being that would absolutely be the sensible choice.

Associate
I currently have a 1070 and im itching to upgrade as the card is struggling in a lot of titles now. Im hanging fire for 3000 series hopefully due this year

Soldato
I currently have a 1070 and im itching to upgrade as the card is struggling in a lot of titles now. Im hanging fire for 3000 series hopefully due this year

Even if they are due this year supply is going to be so short it will probably be next year before you can purchase one. Every Nvidia release has had shortages and delays and I expect this time with the virus it will be long into 2021 before decent stock comes along. Mark my words. Just look at things like the Quest as soon as they are in stock they get snapped up.

Soldato
Also in the same boat. It looks like we only have to wait another 3-4 months for new cards from AMD & Nvidia so I'm going to resist the urge to upgrade until then and buy the card with the best performance in my price range.

Associate
Even if they are due this year supply is going to be so short it will probably be next year before you can purchase one. Every Nvidia release has had shortages and delays and I expect this time with the virus it will be long into 2021 before decent stock comes along. Mark my words. Just look at things like the Quest as soon as they are in stock they get snapped up.

Yea i can see shortages happening which is a shame but hopefully theres enough to go around on release or shortly after

Associate
OP
I guess waiting makes sense but as some of you have said, there's going to be huge shortages and it may be a struggle to get hold of a new 3000 series card.

Would it make sense to buy a 2080 super now and sell it on early next year when it's easier to get hold of a 3000 series card?

Associate
I run a 1080, at the moment it fly's through everything, I paid around £500.00 for it. With the cost of new top end cards going up to what £8-900.00 I'm starting to think it might be time to buy the new playstation or Xbox instead. We are on the merry go round, upgrade the GPU then you need to upgrade the motherboard , CPU and so on and it does get expensive.

Associate
you guys are very optimistic, even thought nvidia would reveal the 3000 series in august, you won't see the card on the market before September and the stock will be very limited especially due to covid19. I think at the very best you could expect to purchase a RTX 3080 around December. When it comes to technology you should never wait, there's always something new coming around the corner and you'd be waiting forever. If in the next 5 months you plan to play titles that would struggle with the 1070 then upgrade now, however i would go for the 2070, £300 more for 9fps +/- difference is a lot, then you can always sell it and buy a new card later

Soldato
you guys are very optimistic, even thought nvidia would reveal the 3000 series in august, you won't see the card on the market before September and the stock will be very limited especially due to covid19. I think at the very best you could expect to purchase a RTX 3080 around December. When it comes to technology you should never wait, there's always something new coming around the corner and you'd be waiting forever. If in the next 5 months you plan to play titles that would struggle with the 1070 then upgrade now, however i would go for the 2070, £300 more for 9fps +/- difference is a lot, then you can always sell it and buy a new card later

New cards usually means price drops for the older generation hardware. Even if you don't buy bleeding edge 3080~, you could still wait 3 months or so and get good savings on the 2080~ line. Nothing wrong with staying 1 generation behind, and it's definitely worth waiting since the 3080's will be around in September. Regardless of their availability, the 2080 series is very likely to drop price to accommodate the 3080 release at that time. Also, if people are still hanging onto their 1070/1080 cards and are only just now finding they are starting to struggle, then a 2080/2080S/2080Ti in 3.5 months will keep them going for another 2 to 4 years (depending on other hardware upgrades like monitors for resolution/hz).

Soldato
Thinking of just going for it then. Besides that.. will I see a huge jump in performance with a 2080S? With my i5 build below?

It seems kind of nuts to me to spend that sort of money on a card that will be significantly outperformed for the same money in around 4 or 5 months time.

Soldato
It seems kind of nuts to me to spend that sort of money on a card that will be significantly outperformed for the same money in around 4 or 5 months time.

If you can buy one though thats the point.

The 1080 and 1080ti didnt drop much in price too when the 2xxx series was released I have a feeling the RTX 3080 will be released, supplies limited, everyone moaning about not being able to buy them and picking up 2xxx series at slightly lower prices then the 2xxx release dries up and the RTX 3080 starts to rise in price. Supply and demand.

Soldato
I've been waiting over a year to upgrade my 1070ti and will continue waiting till the new cards are out since the current 2000 series cards are poor performance for the price and the ray tracing isn't good either and tanks performance even more.

I had to stop myself buying the 2070 super around xmas when they were £435 now they are going for £500 so definetly not worth it now.

Soldato
If you can buy one though thats the point.

The 1080 and 1080ti didnt drop much in price too when the 2xxx series was released I have a feeling the RTX 3080 will be released, supplies limited, everyone moaning about not being able to buy them and picking up 2xxx series at slightly lower prices then the 2xxx release dries up and the RTX 3080 starts to rise in price. Supply and demand.

We’ll have to see about that. I do think at the least 2000 series cards will drop in price.

Soldato
Even if they dropped £100 it's worth waiting unless the card someone currently has is ruining their gaming experience, if it's just "beginning to struggle" like in the OP's case then I'd agree with Stu999 and would just wait; if you've waited 4 years then what's another 3.5 months to wait for another card you'll likely keep for another 3-4 years.

Back
Top Bottom