• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Soldato
Why are people getting so excited? i see a 7fps boost in crysis at most over last years cards, you still aint getting 60fps it seems quite measly imo..

if anybody even plays that game :p

the only big noticable difference is with SLi which will cost a bomb and will quickly decrease in value as all graphics cards do. only games i can see the card excel at is farcry 2 and ut3 but who would have expected that? :rolleyes:

good cards for bench testing and world record breakers, just not what i expected

Caporegime
I am a bit underwhelmed. Moving from a 295gtx to this 580gtx for only a few fps in some cases at 2560x1600 and Crysis is still not playable at this res :/

Im not hopping on the dx11 bandwagon myself either anytrime soon. I really don't see much point with the exception of games with some tacked on dx11 effects you can barely even notice. When some games come out built from the ground up though it should be more enticing. :)

Caporegime

Just to bring this back down to earth a bit and I know the gtx580 are at stock at 772Mhz(?) but here's me gtx470's running at 800Mhz in SLI with AvP.

avp4xaa.jpg

71.1 vs 76.5 so a 7.7% gainf for £798 vs £323. Your having a laugh aren't you?

Caporegime
:rolleyes:

Yeah im sure everyone is going to take your word for it. Especially as you only seem to crop up to spout some propoganda then slither away again..

Lol :p, so true.

He is an nvidia fan boy......don't take any word he says about GPUs.

Enough said.

If that is in fact the driver that broke crossfire scaling then the 5970 would be pulling even further ahead. Though im not sure as ive not had an ati card for over a year.

Another reason as to why I think that review isn't too reliable, in other words nvidia telling them want to do or else they don't get a card to review or probably that site favouring nvidia over ATI.

All I know is that people who have that card or some crossfire set up are still on 10.4a or the very latest ones, as 10.6 and I think 10.7 messed something up, not too sure though.

Caporegime
But no comparisons to gtx480 in SLI? As I have just shown above, gtx470 adn gtx480 in SLI are stunning and your looking at 8%. You seriously calling that the gtx580 result as stunning compared to the previous cards?

What does your 470 setup get in the stalker benchmark dx10 ultra settings with no fsaa?

Soldato
Can someone explain that one to me. W1zzard complained of not getting a sample card/invitation to presentations etc. a few days ago and yet he manages to release a review before NDA is lifted? Doesn't sound right to me unless I wasn't paying enough attention to the news.

Anyway, the card looks great at $499/£369, sorts out most of the problems of its older brother. I won't be bitching about naming scheme because it doesn't matter and the card has improvements wherever it should have. Calling it GTX485 would be right IMO but there might be more cards released in which case it's the only right choice to release it as another refresh.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580_SLI/27.html

This is NOT a conclusion to GTX580 SLI :p SLI scaling isn't that impressive tbf but I would imagine people using higher resolutions with dual cards.

Overall it seems like a superior card to HD5970 in every aspect and only time will tell if HD6970 takes the performance crown back.

I trollin cause they let me

Last edited:
Associate
Nope actually I can max every game out on my rig, thank you very much ;) and there all above 40 or 50 FPS depending on the game, so for BFBC 2, everything max, 4xAA and 8xAAA, HBO off, my lowest FPS is around 40 I think and that's when there is a lot going on in the sense of explosions, smoke etc.

Personally for me anything over 40FPS seems very smooth to me and that is in the heavy action scenes etc.

Apart from metro 2033, but heard that there have been fixes and updates etc. which fix/increase the performance, so could probably turn the settings up a bit more, but wouldn't upgrade for just one game, when every other game runs perfectly on my rig, especially for just one game, which I wasn't that keen on and that I wouldn't play again.

My rig, i5 750, 4GB G.skill RAM, HIS 4850 HD Turbo ICEQ4, everything at stock, no overclocking at all, although I only play at 1280x1024 (soon be upgrading to 1920x1080 and then I will need a 6950, 6970 or one of the 5xx cards).

No point of me buying a 480 or 580 etc. now for my res, as personally it would be overkill.

Everyone has there preferences on what they consider smooth/playable, i game at 1680x1050 aswell and have a 470, which is not to disimilar to a 480/580 though clearly a bit slower

I game with V Sync on as i really dont like all the tearing/shearing & glitching that goes on if you turn it off, i like games like BC2 and i want the framerate consistant and high, even with lots of action, i dont want the FPS jumping about between 60 and 40 or 30 etc as although it's still smooth, it does jitter about a bit when the frames fluctuate like that, and on some games this is noticable, can be distracting.

So if like me, and i'm sure i'm not alone in this, you want V Sync on and a stable 60 FPS, with minimal drops out of this sweet zone even in heavy action, then a good quality single GPU like a 580 is not overkill at all

Peoples idea of overkill varies, to me overkill would be replacing a card that can for the most part run all games at my res at 60FPS or above even during heavy action bit's with high settings and V Sync on with a faster one, as i would see very little benefit, this is why i have not gone SLI, a good fast single card does what i need at the res i play, if it didn't i would get SLI, although this would be a last resort as i really do not like the idea of having to setup profiles?? etc for dual cards and it seems like a lot of extra hassel

Associate
lol 580 gets a good review now enter the haters, the guy has all the top demanding games benched, AvP, BC2, metro2033, SCS and farcry 2.

# Substantial performance improvement over GTX 480
# Large reduction in power consumption vs. GTX 480
# Quieter than other cards in this performance class

Music to my ears.^

So in the past you have stated that...

# You do not care about the power consumpion of a card, just the performance. If you needed to save some wattage, you would do it in other ways.
# Current Nvidia cards are not loud at any rate.

There are some interesting news on this card. The review is not an astonishing piece of technology journalism, but being first to market makes for many site hits and much traffic. The better reviews will come.

To be honest, Nvidia has done a very good job at providing for the enthusiast market in the current generation. They were of course very, very late to market but if they can continue with great cards at reasonable prices, at least competition is looking like more of an actual race again. I really hope that both companies will provide on the promise for the new iterations of their cards.

Soldato
hm i dont like the way the review kinda omits the gtx 460 and overclocked gtx 460 performance. it uses the gtx 465 in a lot of the benchies...:/

I don't like the way the reviewer has done several things tbh, it's an all round fail in my eyes.

• Outdated benchmarks
  • Wrong drivers for the 5970
  • 465 instead of the 460
  • Stupidly low resolutions
  • The GTX 480 on an older driver
  • Dirt 2 in DX9
I'm sure there's a few other things I've missed too......

I don't like the way the reviewer has done several things tbh, it's an all round fail in my eyes.

• Outdated benchmarks
  • Wrong drivers for the 5970
  • 465 instead of the 460
  • Stupidly low resolutions
  • The GTX 480 on an older driver

I'm sure there's a few other things I've missed too......

I have no idea why the tester was using 3dmark2003, or 2006 for that matter. A poor effort on his part tbh!

There should be some better reviews around in a day or two.

Caporegime
Overall it seems like a superior card to HD5970 in every aspect and only time will tell if HD6970 takes the performance crown back.

:confused:

In a lot of benchmarks the 5970 was still a good bit ahead. i think the "performance" crown is still in dispute especially considering this is one review and using old 5970 drivers. Should have a better indication when more reviews come online.

Back
Top Bottom