• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
970s should be good enough for max settings at 1440p cept for a a couple of games (like crysis 3) but if you can afford the 980s then why not? :p

Check out the techpowerup SLI 970 review for benches at 1600p and decide if those frames are high enough for you ?

Soldato
Unfortunately them Msi Z97 Gaming 5 only supports 2-way Sli but 3-way crossfire :rolleyes:

So it's between 2x 970's or 2x 980's.
Well it's only the 980s surely if the 970s look to lose out on higher resolutions and you are going to move to higher resolutions?

4 days until amds announcements as well, so I would sleep on it tbh.

Associate
4 days until amds announcements as well, so I would sleep on it tbh.

Unfortunately because i'm running an Asus Swift, it pretty much needs to be using an Nvidia card. Which i'm running an AMD R295x2 atm which is causing havoc on the monitor, so I'm returning one of them and most likely the card.

But I think I will go 980's not only does it perform better at higher resolutions, it also has the extra power so when newer games arise in the future it will handle them better.

Appreciate your assistance fella's.

Soldato
Glad that AMD aren't sitting idle as well, announcement on the 25th is good shows they want a fight. Hopefully they target the 970 performance / price and beat it, and if they can beat the 980 on performance as well even if power consumption is relatively high in comparison it will still be a worthy card. AMD/ATI have never really disappointed me in GPU's, 25th should be interesting..

It may just be some pretty savage price cuts tbh. Or a relaunch of their top card with a lower TDP and higher clocks?

AMD like to pull that sort of stuff all the time. Mind you, who could say no to a 290 at around £200? everyone's a winner :)

Soldato
Going for 970SLI, Is it best to go for reference or non-reference when SLI'ing?

Yeah as already said you want reference.

I went from a pair of 670s (Palit Jetstreams) and they were a nightmare in SLI to a pair of Titan Blacks which have the reference cooler on and so long as you feed them well with a 120mm fan or something you'll be fine.

Far less fluctuations in heat between the two cards if you stick to blower coolers. Open air cards tend to show fantastic temps on the bottom card (67c on my Palits) to massive increases on the top card (98c on a GTX 670 playing Metro : Last Light on full tilt).

I ended up having to hack my case around and fit two 120mm side fans, but even then the top card was in the low 80s which was very high for a 670 and even more so for one with a good cooler on.

Back
Top Bottom