• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate

Very interesting:)

wish it was longer than 10 mins I was enjoying it:cool:

I keep wondering how The Witcher 3 is going to look on PC with all the final tweaks, bells and whistles:eek::cool:

Have you had any samples to do a review Stulid?

I'm still trying to decide:

A: Asus Gsync, 970 Sli...
B: Asus Gsync, 980 (Sli at a later date)
C: 980 Sli (Gsync later, but would be overkill at current 1920x1200)
D:....
I know first world problems:o:p

Now if Gibbo (Hint Hint) happened to find an unused 'WatchDogs' Token or perhaps bump the free next day delivery to before 1pm (Hint Hint) option A would be the easy choice when ordering tomorrow;):D... ooooh I feel dirty:o:D

Seriously though I can't wait to order and finally upgrade from my 480's which are destined for my soon to be over powered backup system:D

Soldato
'Says bitter AMD user'

:p

Really though, a £260+ card that can beat the 290 / 780 and trade blows with the 290X and 780 Ti when clocked, and uses far far far less power than both, has all of the latest Nvidia features..

There is very little to moan about here, it still won't stop certain people trying though :p

AMD will release something soon and the cycle will continue as normal, as someone who buys on the best card they can afford and enjoys hardware regardless of brand it's all a bit comical reading some of he comments on the net.

The 970 is probably Nvidia's best performance VS price card ever. This is a good thing as AMD will have to respond in kind.
You clearly missed my previous post praising the 970 on#1232.

All I am saying is some people exaggerated the 970's performance more than it actually is.

Overclocked 970 on par with/beating stock 290x/780Ti is not much different from overclocked 290/780 doing the same. Problem is that it seem when some people talk about the 970's performance, they are thinking 980 performance. Overclocked 290x, or overclocked 780Ti at the very least is still ahead of overclocked 970 in performance (overclocked 980 on the other hand should be faster than overclocked 290x/780Ti without a doubt).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Overclocked 290x, or overclocked 780Ti at the very least is still ahead of overclocked 970 in performance.

Around the same tbh when both overclocked. My 970 is 26th in the list on firestrike, some of those above are watercooled or running 5ghz CPU clocks and they also have been lucky with 780ti's or 290x's that clock that well when most of them don't whereas with the 970 it seems most will do. I expect drivers will add a few hundred points in the coming months for 9 series cards as well.

The 970 isn't a world beater but when you compare launch prices it's better than any of those cards.

Associate
Can confirm the MSI is the quietest card I've ever heard at 100% fan speed.

This card is ridiculous

I just ran Heaven and it only just made the fans start up at 61 degrees (and settled for the benchmark at 61-63) and my case is awful for cooling :eek:

Worth every penny to swap out my 7950, noisy fans has been my main reason to change out cards, now I can't even tell when they switch on :D

Associate
Not at all, been running water cooling for noise reduction and I'm in 2 minds not bothering with the water with the 980, letting the gigabyte oc do the work and I'll be interested in the extra speed it may offer on water. I may wait off on the block and maybe put that towards something else.

Associate
Hmm, got 980 and in Bioshock 2 getting odd crashes. Suspecting new drivers that were released on Friday, anybody else had sudden problems after installing them and using new card?

Associate
My main issue with the "0db" stuff is that it's only silent when it's idle and doesn't matter.
As soon as you start gaming and put load on it the temperatures will rise fairly sharp-ish and then you're back to the same problem with air cooling (although admittedly the Strix cooler is supposed to be very quiet at load, for an air cooler).

Soldato
My main issue with the "0db" stuff is that it's only silent when it's idle and doesn't matter.
As soon as you start gaming and put load on it the temperatures will rise fairly sharp-ish and then you're back to the same problem with air cooling (although admittedly the Strix cooler is supposed to be very quiet at load, for an air cooler).

strix only goes on at 65c so if your playing say LoL or Dota or old games no noise, :p

Back
Top Bottom