• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
My main issue with the "0db" stuff is that it's only silent when it's idle and doesn't matter.
As soon as you start gaming and put load on it the temperatures will rise fairly sharp-ish and then you're back to the same problem with air cooling (although admittedly the Strix cooler is supposed to be very quiet at load, for an air cooler).

I am ridiculously picky for fan noises, I hate hearing my PC at all and I made my fan profile on my HIS 7950 as slow as possible, I would rather have gamed at 90+ degrees than put up with the fan on 50-60% (and this was suppose to be one of the quieter cards!) when browsing/idling the loudest part of my pc by Far was when the HDD would spin up after falling asleep and without that you needed to really focus/move closer to tell it was even on.

I can't say how loud this MSI 970 gets as I've not bothered to ramp the fan up manually but its nothing like other/older so called quiet cards, I've been monitoring afterburner in Grid Autosport (alright not the most demanding game in the world but..) The fastest the fans gone is 44% and with the speakers off, still couldn't hear a thing, this was bringing the temps down to mid 50's and the fans was switching off again (not that I could tell without looking)

Soldato
Those Zotac 970 AMP Omega Edition / 970 AMP Extreme editions are 3 slot coolers, maybe an issue if choosing for SLI.

Bet they clock like mad though, both use 2x 8-pin connectors. :D

Soldato
A thought's just occurred to me, 970 reference is the same design as 760/670 reference right. So how much work would ASUS have to do to turn their dual 760 card into a dual 970 card? /drool.

Soldato
Maxwell power reg is a whole different ball game I think. Don't think they could just drop 970s in the sockets. But I'm not an electrical engineer so no idea really.

Back
Top Bottom