• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
Has anyone seen a review comparison of the 970 vs the 670? I've got a 670 currently but I don't want to get the 980 as I'm hoping the 980 ti/Titan 2 come out soonish but wouldn't mind getting a 970 in the mean time if it's a noticeable upgrade. I game on 4k at the moment.

Caporegime
Has anyone seen a review comparison of the 970 vs the 670? I've got a 670 currently but I don't want to get the 980 as I'm hoping the 980 ti/Titan 2 come out soonish but wouldn't mind getting a 970 in the mean time if it's a noticeable upgrade. I game on 4k at the moment.

You'll see around a 35 - 40% performance boost.

Associate
So come October when the custom designs arrive ive nailed it down too,

Gigabyte GTX980 G1
Galax SOC
Zotac AmP Extreme.

Hard choices Stulid Gigabyte for the brand name maybe Galax Soc for the better power phase Zotac Amp well they use to have rep for using poor quality components but things may have changed. Which ever one you go for they all seem to perform much the same.

Permabanned
Hard choices Stulid Gigabyte for the brand name maybe Galax Soc for the better power phase Zotac Amp well they use to have rep for using poor quality components but things may have changed. Which ever one you go for they all seem to perform much the same.

Indeed i think by the time i get my funds in order it will be 1st Oct and if EVGA say mid Oct for Classy then i guess the 15th seems like a good bet for the rest too. Maybe even 8GB?

Personally im waiting but adding Classy to that list of Stulids. But the key is going to be temps and case arrangement alongside whatever card has the best cooling, The best phase, And uses 2x8 pin power. Although the Classy and Gigabyte G1 could be binned also complicating matters.

The way my Air 540 case is with H100i i think a rear venting card is going to suck. A triple slot beast that can hit 1650mhz is my goal so i can vent all that hot air out quick and fast out the top of the Air 540. And if need be ill stick two 80mm's on the bottom of the case too. Im going full out this time. :D

Soldato
You going to get aftermarket cooler and use the fan at the top for the h100? So the fan got cook the CPU and get rid if the heat from the GPU too your mad :p

Fans going to have spin fairly fast specially sli

Associate
Hi there

Great news!

800pc of MSI 970 Gaming has arrived!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RAwG3

Coming from a 7870DD. To the dark side!

Soldato
Given what we (read: you guys :p) now know about the 980 and 970, anyone like to hazard a guess how powerful the 960 will be?

Say, compared to a 280X?

From the way the 970 beats the 290 as standard and out clocks the 290X I would guess the 960 will be faster than a 280X as standard and out clock the 290 non-X, if they slot it in behind the 980/970 ofc, there's no telling where they will position it.

Associate
290 to 970 is really not worth it in any shape or form. Performance is + and - depending on scenario and application. Heat (noise) will be far better with the 970 though.

290 to 980 I don't think is worth it either, there is a performance jump but not enough to justify the price imo.

Soldato
That was the main draw for me, the heat on my card is starting to annoy me. it's always at 90c on all my games and as my room is quite small it gets very hot!

Associate
90c 0_O which one do you have? Reference or what?

I mean if the heat/noise or what ever is annoying you, go for it. It is your money, but dont expect any noticeable Performance gains at least.

Associate
Most I have seen the MSI 970 go up to is 75c but that was stressing it quite hard with the valley benchmark on a loop. In games it seems to settle around 60c mark on the few games I have tried. These are not really demanding games though, just like fifa 15.

Back
Top Bottom