Guide for HTPC

Soldato
Yeah just gonna have a look for that one now!!
Just as a question - when scrolling through your movies, do you simply hit enter when in the list on the left to play the movie or do you have to hit enter (then the list goes away) then hit enter again to play the movie?
(that probably makes no sense :p)

Soldato
OP
Oxy:

No luck mate :(
I can control MP just fine but the only function that works in MPC is "Stop". Cant try KMP because it crashes inside MP.

Tried both of them in explorer and i get no response from KMP and only "Stop" works in MPC.

I tried StreamMP skin but although it was gorgeous it just wasn't for me.
I like to have my Movies split by extension. So All DivX, XviD and AVI in one folder. All MKV's in another folder. Monochrome Lists the folders and i choose which one i want to browse. Some of you might think that's weird but i have this because i also use my PS3's to stream DivX/Xvid and sometimes i might have the same movie in two different formats (divx to stream to PS3 and mkv to play on HTPC). Plus i have over 200 movies so monochrome shows me more on the list view where moving pictures shows me less.

Its much better looking that Monochrome thats for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm I might be being a noob here but does Moving Pictures support TV Series? Oxy mentioned it but I can't seem to find it anywhere??
I have the 'My Tv Series' plugin working which in itself is awesome - but was wondering whether the Moving Pictures has one.

Soldato
Oxy:

No luck mate :(
I can control MP just fine but the only function that works in MPC is "Stop". Cant try KMP because it crashes inside MP.

Here is a link ot my guide to get kmplayer/MPC working with the mce remote

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ti...08/#post357677

It is based off of Vista x64, when I was reading around you may have to use the MCE replacement driver for XP, I'm not sure. Might be worth googling. I would try that guide one more time though.

Im runniong out of ideas for you :s

Soldato
Oxy how do you change the views in moving pictures when viewing movies?
I.e. from the screenprints it looks like you can go from filmstrip to list or thumbs etc
http://code.google.com/p/moving-pictures/wiki/ScreenShots#Large_Thumbnail_View

In Monochrome skin you simply changed it to what view you wanted, but can't seem to figure that one out with this skin :(

EDIT** :D haha oops you just have to right click on the actual film name and change it that way! Well that was easy! This plugin really is sexual!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well i had another play with EventGhost today for a few hours and didn't manage to set it up.

What i've done is adjuct the levels in MediaPortal so that the DivX/XviD and MKV's do not have a light over lay on them. Edited the settings in ffdshow and coreavc so now movies look much better.

But that has knocked off the levels in KMP and MPC. Its proper strange!
Leaving ffdshow and coreavc to default levels means movies look like they should in KMP/MPC but not in MP. Adjusting the levels so that they look good in MP means they look rubbish in KMP/MPC. Its doing my head in but for the time being they are looking how they should in MP.

What i've realized is that the brightness needs to be around -13 in coreavc and -15 in ffdshow for movies in MP.
They should be on 0, default or Off for KMP/MPC.

Its just a shame that i cant set "presets" in ffdshow and coreavc so that they apply one set of levels for MP and another for KMP/MPC.

Found this excellent guide for ffdshow settings for xvid/divx files which many should find herlpful: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=922773&page=2

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Could someone tell me if they have successfully got moving pictures set up on a 1080p screen because on mine it looked out of place and text was over lapping. From what i can gather its not 16:9

Last edited:
Soldato
Remote

Got the MS Media Centre Remote Controller.

Managed to set it up so that i would not need to use my wireless keyboard/mouse at all.
Now i can turn it On and then go relax on the sofa and control everything from the comfort of my sofa via the remote controller.

I can launch MediaPortal and play movies and use all the controls and have an "On Screen Display" and shut down the HTPC all by using the MS remote.

All done via this software: http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp

Could you post a guide on how to do this please?

Soldato
OP
Graph Edit

GraphEdit is a visual tool for building and testing filter graphs. It is provided as an executable with the DirectX SDK. With GraphEdit, you can quickly build and test filter graphs to see if they function as you expect. You can even view a filter graph created by an application running in another process.
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_graphedit_141.html

Just a note:

You can see what codecs MediaPortal is using by launching GraphEdit and then clicking File -> Remote Graph . You will get a window pop up with some text in the box. Select the text and click "OK".

Alternatively, Launch MP Configuration. In "General" un-tick "Launch MP in full screen". Then go to your "Movies" Menu and select "Player" sub menu. Make a note of the codecs you have chosen.

Then Launch MP. You will see that it launch in a window. Play a file. Then load up the codecs that you have selected for that file extension and tick the option "Show in System Tray" in all of them. You will note that when you have MP running and you launch the codec from the programs menu in explorer that it will not show any information and will look as if its not being used! Now play another file in MP. You will see the codecs load up in the system tray that are being used by MP.

If you need to make any adjustments then double click on the codec from the system tray and you will be able to see how the adjustments look in MP. Once you have everything the way you want it. Close MP and open up MP Configuration again. In General tick "launch in fullscreen" and sit back and enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have ticked "show in system tray" the options for FFDshow, AC3 and CoreAVC. These are the only codecs i use and have got installed and i have disabled all other internal codecs that other plays such as KMPlayer and Media Play Classic use.

Now when i play a file in MPC or KMP or MPortal, i can see ffdshow and/or ac3 and/or coreavc load in the system tray so i know they are the only ones being used.

Alternatively you can click inside the window of KMP and MPC and scroll to the "Filters" menu and it will show you what is being used. You can select one and it will launch and you can make any adjustments if necessary.

Soldato
OP
My HTPC is an old P4 Northwood 3GHz with ATi 9800PRO and Audigy 2. It feeds a 720p TV through VGA. Will it play Bluray if I just stick a Sony DDU-X10S Blu-Ray Reader in fine or not?

Probably not. You would need a Core2Duo E2xxx or a descent AMD at least. There are some HTPC build threads that i've seen where a Q6600 struggles to play disc based bluray material. Many report stuttering and jerky playback. You probably need a at least a E2200/E5200 and a ATi 34xx card i would say to get HD picture and 5.1/7.1 out via spdif.

Back
Top Bottom