Guild Wars 2

Associate
not sure why it gets a lot of hate, i paid like £23 and played it for almost a year, amazing value.

that said, it falls victum to the "I DONT WANNA GRIND" / "THERES NOTHING TO DO" squad, i just didnt care about the living world, if it all got burnt to the ground i didnt care, i do play to progress my personal character though, and at a certain point with daily laurels etc it got repetative and easy and became "just a matter of time" before i was walking around with purple gear.

wvw kept it going, but overall the 2013 casual gamer killed it for me, everything got nerfed, everything becomes easier and "friendly", everyone wants to play 1 hour and be the same as someone who played 300 hours. legandary weapons were just fancy looking sticks.

Soldato
not sure why it gets a lot of hate, i paid like £23 and played it for almost a year, amazing value.

that said, it falls victum to the "I DONT WANNA GRIND" / "THERES NOTHING TO DO" squad, i just didnt care about the living world, if it all got burnt to the ground i didnt care, i do play to progress my personal character though, and at a certain point with daily laurels etc it got repetative and easy and became "just a matter of time" before i was walking around with purple gear.

I'm in the "Theres nothing to do" 'squad' but I don't hate this game, I think it's great. But only when I view it almost on the same terms as a single player RPG (with perhaps a touch of coop ;))... I thought the levelling was the best I'd experienced in any MMO and whilst levelling there was plenty to see and do with much freedom to wander around as I saw fit. The story quests were pretty nice to, I'd agree with the criticisms over it feeling more like a story about Trahearne than yourself (atleast after the first 20-30 levels) but I still enjoyed it.

But for me to come at this game as an MMO I have to feel like there is a challenge and some vested interest in me plugging away at my character, to both improve the character further and conquer the challenges. Once the game was released it took me one week to get to 80 on my thief. It took me another week after that to be head to toe in the exact exotic gear I wanted, which was the best at the time (I know the ascended has been added since). Within another couple of weeks of that I had done all the dungeons in explorable mode, spent countless hours in WvW, won a few sPvP games and seen the four corners of the world. I then found myself stood outside a bank twiddling my thumbs... achievements have never been my thing, I didn't want any items for cosmetic purposes (I didn't find any of the medium sets appealing) so I had no reason to repeat dungeons more than a couple of times and finishing off the last few quests didn't seem like it was either a challenge or something that would improve my character.

So? I knocked it on the head, tried it a couple of times since to see what changes have been made and how WvW is, but there is still nothing there to hook me back in. They have announced I believe that proper raid content would be coming but that is most likely quite a ways off, so I'm not putting any hope in me being hooked in again years down the line either, I'll probably be playing Everquest Next.

There are criticisms I would throw in sure. I don't think the skill system or the talent system were indepth enough... I do think a tiered gear progression would have kept me playing longer and whilst I still think there is still merit to the abolishment of the holy trinity in MMOs I don't think their implementation was all that great. But I would still hold it as worthy purchase for someone; but I'd definitely give them reservations about any prolonged playing.

I don't know. Perhaps trying to find the next WoW, in terms of a game you're willing to sink years upon years of your gaming time to is a tall order and once you've done that with a game there is no doing it with another... but perhaps I'm just waiting for the right MMO.

Associate
I don't know. Perhaps trying to find the next WoW, in terms of a game you're willing to sink years upon years of your gaming time to is a tall order and once you've done that with a game there is no doing it with another... but perhaps I'm just waiting for the right MMO.
I dunno why there are so many MMO players yearning for this. Why would you actively seek something to sink as much of your next 5-10 years into as you have in the past 5-10 years with WoW?

I love WoW: I have so many positive memories connected with it and it's just a stunningly brilliant game. But I regret how much of my life I have lost to it, and I think anybody who has spent as much time or more as me should have that same feeling. I don't think I'll ever completely ditch my gaming habits, but there surely comes a time with everyone when they think they'd be much better off if they played less.

I'll be happy if a game like Guild Wars 2 comes along every year. Not addictive, not a timesink, but brilliant fun and completely satisfying for the time you've spent on it. I don't think "not being addictive" is that disparaging for a computer game, even MMOs.

Soldato
I dunno why there are so many MMO players yearning for this. Why would you actively seek something to sink as much of your next 5-10 years into as you have in the past 5-10 years with WoW?

It's not so much sinking years... but so far of all the MMOs I've played (and I can't think of many I haven't) it is either a case of play for the 5+ years I played WoW or play for the first month of launch as I did in Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Aion, Rift, Star Wars Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 - the others I tried post launch I maybe played for 1-2 weeks.

I'd like some kind of middle ground... something I could sink 6-12 months into and get enjoyment out of that would be nice.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Only bothered grinding for 1 piece of ascended gear and couldn't be bothered anymore. God knows how long it will take to get the ascended armour and weapons when they are released.

Associate
I love WoW: I have so many positive memories connected with it and it's just a stunningly brilliant game. But I regret how much of my life I have lost to it, and I think anybody who has spent as much time or more as me should have that same feeling. I don't think I'll ever completely ditch my gaming habits, but there surely comes a time with everyone when they think they'd be much better off if they played less.

Well said! I am in the same boat.

Soldato
I bought this on launch and played it a lot for the first few weeks and now I just drop in casually about once a week, maybe people get burned out? I dunno, but I really love the game.

Associate
I still think the big issue for any MMO is wow. People won't accept anything else I don't think in this category. Which is a shame. I played gw2 beta enjoyed it but everyone I played with said nah not wow. :/ shame.

Associate
I loved the old Guild Wars games, played MMOs all my time. Struggling enjoying anything at the moment, is this worth a shot? Are there any free-play weekends or anything coming up?

Soldato
I too only played for a few weeks at launch then left. Have recently come back and this time am treating it like a single player game with people in/coop. I think that's the key to it, I'm loving it atm!!

Soldato
I'm waiting for an expansion or update that makes significant changes and additions to class skills (maybe new classes) as well as pvp/wvw (new gamemodes), and maybe an update to enemy AI in pve before I play again.

As it is I got bored of the game:
- Once you've got map completion in pve having seen and done everything (all the puzzles and scenery) there's basically no reason to return to pve unless you like staring at the landscape (which is a work of art and I used to leave my character in the Grove for that purpose). Pve combat is incredibly stale in the endgame - maybe that's just because I find the typical MMO "aggro" system to be outdated and dull to play against. I couldn't care less for "raiding" or whatever people moan about wanting included - being my first mmo I have no idea what that is... but the point is it's all useless with the fact that every hostile npc has exactly the same predictable and repetitive behaviour - they just attack in different ways.

- then you've got pvp which is extremely addictive... but my god the gear/rank grind is ridiculous, and you often run into a lot of unsavoury folk.

- and wvw is to me pvp plus a huge waste of time running about from place to place (it's not like you're able to pilot vehicles or anything...). Sadly could never get into it despite trying - always preferred small scale pvp because I played solo and you can jump straight into the action.

Love the lore (surprisingly), love the characters (asura ftw), love the mesmer class and concept, and love the art direction. But I cannot see where they want this game to go with the whole Living Story thing - it just feels completely meaningless...

Back
Top Bottom