**GUNNAR EYEWEAR IN STOCK NOW!! - PROTECT YOUR EYES!!**

Permabanned
Sorry you linked the wrong monitor Alan 60hz is just an eye killer, unusable for me this 240hz panel is on pre order due to 0.5ms displays being a new thing. This further helps over the older 1ms 240hz displays like the AW2518H and AW2518HF which are 1ms i tested those by the way. You want to look the Gigabyte site also most monitors have a blue light filter but you do not need it while gaming you need higher refresh rates. Blue filtering is a work thing where having the image look a bit odd is ok in my opinion.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitors/KD25F#kf

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-001-gi.html

Associate
thanks Rofflay for getting me to think about a monitor. it appears that the monitors claim that the high refresh rates reduce eye strain but reduce flicker. The blue light filter should help the same way as the glasses - as the blue light stops a chemical in the brain from giving you a good nights sleep. Perhaps the glasses can reduce headaches and eye tiredness by giving you better sleep? After following this thread I might end up buying both the glasses (even though I would feel stupid wearing them just to play on the computer at night, in a dark room) and a new monitor say 1440 (my favourite resolution) with a 144hz or higher refresh.

Also apparently playing games on the computer can give you dry eyes due to not blinking as often. I wonder why the GUNNARS also claim to reduce dry eyes?

Associate
The Aviators look cool! Just ask Bailey! :D

I think that I will give the GUNNARS a go - looking at the selection the aviators are joint cheapest and have a positive review. As my eyesight is getting worse a small magnification [this is correct is it?] may come in handy? Also I think with the aviators you would have a larger field of vision and be less obstrusive in the frame?

Associate
I currently run an Acer Predator 4K G-Sync Monitor. Had it a few years but it is only 60Hz because 4K G-Sync. But i came from an old 1080p "HD Ready" TV (God help me) so anything was an improvement :D

Might be worth a monitor upgrade for myself too eh?

I wouldn't use a 1080 any more. I much prefer the large screen 1440 or 4k. Personally I like 1440 (currently I have a 27" - do they do larger 1440 screens?) and it has the boost of not reducing your FPS too much. However I play strategy and RPG games (and world of warships) and not fast shooters where you need to high FPS from 1080 gaming.

Permabanned
thanks Rofflay for getting me to think about a monitor. it appears that the monitors claim that the high refresh rates reduce eye strain but reduce flicker. The blue light filter should help the same way as the glasses - as the blue light stops a chemical in the brain from giving you a good nights sleep. Perhaps the glasses can reduce headaches and eye tiredness by giving you better sleep? After following this thread I might end up buying both the glasses (even though I would feel stupid wearing them just to play on the computer at night, in a dark room) and a new monitor say 1440 (my favourite resolution) with a 144hz or higher refresh.

Also apparently playing games on the computer can give you dry eyes due to not blinking as often. I wonder why the GUNNARS also claim to reduce dry eyes?

You would require 144hz at either 1440p then or 4k but for me even 144hz depends on the content shooters need more to not make me feel sick. But i can play Wargaming games like Ships and Tanks ok at 120hz but the display must be very fast with no blur i only found one single usable monitor the FG2421 but you can not buy that anymore. 144hz still has quite a bit of blur for me i could not use one 240hz just barely scraped by my personal test.

I think 4k 144hz is also maybe out of your budget i would warn you that 27 inch screens have the same pixel density as 1080p 24 inch screens but made larger. Once again this makes me feel sick just like a low FOV shooters i feel better when i have a smaller screen in focus that has a sharper image. This is why i never use 1080p i exclusivly use Nvidia DSR which only does 4k properly from 1080p so i personally dislike 1440p as a resolution. It only has one single advantage screen size.

For people with sore eyes having a low pixel density is a really bad thing it also made games look really bad. So that is why i reccomended you a 1080p 24 inch 240hz for the supreme flexibility and eye soothing nature of it. But i am also then going to say look into 144hz. If you can afford 4k 144hz go for it but they will still have some blur which put me off them. For me monitors are a minefield if you gave me a million pound budget i would still buy that Gigabyte 1080p 240hz monitor.

Associate
I am seriously thinking about a new monitor now. I see OcUK now have a promotion on some MSI monitors.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...rved-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-00a-ms.html

I could afford <£400 for a 1440 144hz that has reduced blue light and flicker free. The flicker free is actually different to the refresh rate - according to MSI website for the monitors:

"Generic monitor displays normally have a flicker-rate of about 200-times per second, which is unnoticeable to the naked eye, but can cause fatigue over time. MSI Anti-Flicker technology provides a very comfortable viewing experience by reducing the amount of flicker."

Permabanned
All i can say is being VA i bet the panel is not fast enough to not smear, And the smearing really annoyed my eyes alongside the blur and squinting at the low pixels per inch. Second is 1440p is exactly the same as 1080p 1440p 27inch is basically 1080p 24inch but just a larger screen.

144hz 1ms is the only good spec i can see on that monitor? But is 1ms true? How does it compare to 0.5ms? And does it have Freesync and Gsync support? Good luck Alan monitors are a minefield and this might be a poor monitor compared to others. I cannot say as i never tried one but having tried 1ms 240hz on TN i dread the smearing of 144hz VA the blur must be awful by the standards of a 240hz panel.

I personally just about scraped by with the ultrafast 1ms 240hz my eyes like the small pixels with DSR, They see basically no blur anymore and 240hz is a really high flicker rate. So i warn you if you have eyes that really hurt like me only 240hz might bring relief from feeling sick.

Associate
Yes monitors are a minefield. I am not too impressed by my current 4K. The only monitors that I constantly hear good things about is the dell ultrasharps. I will look further before buying anything. Thanks for the advice Rofflay.

Where can I sell my current monitors to be able to buy a new one? Is there anywhere on this forum where people can sell things or find buy

Associate
OP

The Gunnars say they reduce Dry Eyes because the lens covers the whole eye and prevents the air currents that usually pass the side of the eye from drying the eyes. As for blinking, that is down to you :D

Associate
thanks PREDATOR. I am looking into this blue light thing and getting the glasses and a new monitor now. If I am suffering from blue light and not having a deep sleep that I should do it would explain why my eyes and vision is feeling tired (despite not really needing prescription specs for PC use). I have just found the night time mode on my ipad that I think reduces blue light.

Associate
OP
thanks PREDATOR. I am looking into this blue light thing and getting the glasses and a new monitor now. If I am suffering from blue light and not having a deep sleep that I should do it would explain why my eyes and vision is feeling tired (despite not really needing prescription specs for PC use). I have just found the night time mode on my ipad that I think reduces blue light.
I have Night Shift mode on my iPad too. Such a useful feature.

Associate
OP
what does the night shift do? I used it last night and the picture looked the same. Can I keep it on permantly now?
Its meant to reduce blue light slightly, basically makes the colour temperature of the screen warmer. You can also adjust the colour temp a bit more in the settings. Best used at night but there is no reason you cant use it all the time.

Associate
Its meant to reduce blue light slightly, basically makes the colour temperature of the screen warmer. You can also adjust the colour temp a bit more in the settings. Best used at night but there is no reason you cant use it all the time.
thanks PREDATOR - I was using night mode rather than night shift. I have got used to night shift already and will be using it every time I use the ipad now. However you need to keep turning it on in settings.

Associate
I have watched a few youtube vids on the GUNNARS and they seem very good. They appear to be good quality and robust. Some people use a fan in the office and that protects the eyes from wind. The GUMMARS have a +0/25 prescription to magnifiy slightly which apparently helps when at the computer at say 15" away from the screen. Also they have a dipolar distance of 50mm causing our eyes to converge (from 65mm in our head) and this relaxes our eye muscle that would be doing that job when looking at things close up (like phones, monitors etc but perhaps not a tv that is say 2 or 3m away).

I borrowed a colleagues cheap blue light blocking specs for 10 mins and |I quickly got used to the yellow tint. In fact I think that it actually helped make the screen sharper (somehow as the whites weren't as bright I could se the contrast easier between the colours). However that pair had glare - presumably these GUNNARS do have glare?

I will definitely get a pair of these from you when I put an order in (mid/late July probably).

The blue light filter is good in 2 ways: to protect the brain chemical needed for good sleep (reviewers weren't convinced about his after wearing for a whole week); and the high energy blue light may damage your retina after say 20yrs. Well who is going to wait 20yrs to do a review? However as I use monitors at work for hours and then I come home and spend another 4 hrs a night then I think it prudent to try and protect my eyes particularly as I am starting to have trouble in middle age. We mentioned before that new monitors tend to be flicker free and have low blue light emissions - althought I want a new main monitor - I currently have several and perhaps I should wear these glasses as well? or certainly if I do get a main monitor then for the secondary old fashioned blue light monitors.

Associate
OP
I have watched a few youtube vids on the GUNNARS and they seem very good. They appear to be good quality and robust. Some people use a fan in the office and that protects the eyes from wind. The GUMMARS have a +0/25 prescription to magnifiy slightly which apparently helps when at the computer at say 15" away from the screen. Also they have a dipolar distance of 50mm causing our eyes to converge (from 65mm in our head) and this relaxes our eye muscle that would be doing that job when looking at things close up (like phones, monitors etc but perhaps not a tv that is say 2 or 3m away).

I borrowed a colleagues cheap blue light blocking specs for 10 mins and |I quickly got used to the yellow tint. In fact I think that it actually helped make the screen sharper (somehow as the whites weren't as bright I could se the contrast easier between the colours). However that pair had glare - presumably these GUNNARS do have glare?

I will definitely get a pair of these from you when I put an order in (mid/late July probably).

The blue light filter is good in 2 ways: to protect the brain chemical needed for good sleep (reviewers weren't convinced about his after wearing for a whole week); and the high energy blue light may damage your retina after say 20yrs. Well who is going to wait 20yrs to do a review? However as I use monitors at work for hours and then I come home and spend another 4 hrs a night then I think it prudent to try and protect my eyes particularly as I am starting to have trouble in middle age. We mentioned before that new monitors tend to be flicker free and have low blue light emissions - althought I want a new main monitor - I currently have several and perhaps I should wear these glasses as well? or certainly if I do get a main monitor then for the secondary old fashioned blue light monitors.

Perfect example of why doing research pays off! As for glare, I haven't noticed any with the pair I own. May depend on lighting conditions in the room?

Associate
Sorry you linked the wrong monitor Alan 60hz is just an eye killer, unusable for me this 240hz panel is on pre order due to 0.5ms displays being a new thing. This further helps over the older 1ms 240hz displays like the AW2518H and AW2518HF which are 1ms i tested those by the way. You want to look the Gigabyte site also most monitors have a blue light filter but you do not need it while gaming you need higher refresh rates. Blue filtering is a work thing where having the image look a bit odd is ok in my opinion.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitors/KD25F#kf

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-001-gi.html
Once you have a 144hz monitor you can’t go back
https://youtu.be/fKkzq39rXxg

Associate
I've recently bought some of these glasses just over a week ago before Overclockers started selling them, they definitely do reduce the eye strain that I was suffering with. I first heard about these glasses years ago but only just gave them ago.

This video convinced me to try them. Very good explanation about the difference between Blue light filter glasses and Computer glasses:

I too have seen that video and now have just ordered a pair from OcUK. I will tell you have I get on.

Back
Top Bottom