**GUNNAR EYEWEAR IN STOCK NOW!! - PROTECT YOUR EYES!!**

OcUK Staff
I think the aviators (Maverick's) are really good, they have reduced my eye strain massively since wearing them and at first I thought it must be a gimmick but it really isnt!

They were well worth getting, I use them almost every day now as the blue light reduction is incredible and on a plus side they look cool too :)

If you have ordered a pair of any of the Gunnars let us know how you get on, its great to hear other peoples feedback too.

Bailey

Associate
My order of the GUNNAR interceptor came. This is an actual customer review.

They were well wrapped in bubble wrap. The interceptors are a large frame, which is what I wanted as I didn't want to see the frame enclosing the display. Other GUNNARS can have smaller frames, which I now think will be OK as I have tried a similar (but less expensive pair of computer glasses from a generic Chinese manufacturer) pair on and can see the monitor fine but you do feel more enclosed. The GUNNARS do feel slightly better quality. The lens are plastic and therefore makes the glasses quite light weight which is good when wearing for hours. As mentioned before there is a slight prescription to them +0.25 (which GUNNAR doesnt tell you about) and this is why they probably help when looking at a screen a short distance away - this prescription is so slight it is hardly noticeable - the only way I knew was to hold some small print next to the screen that I would normally have trouble reading and the GUNNARS helped so that I could read it. Also as mentioned before from the youtube video there is meant to be a slight prismatic effect (dipupilar distance of 50mm rather than 65mm in our eyes) - this causes the eye sight to converge and focus on monitors etc a short distance away and has the effect of reducing the need for the muscles in our eyes to constantly cross your eyes (thus apparently further reducing eye strain). However as the lens are plastic the quality of the view is not as good as if it were made of glass. Overall I think that the glasses are actually slightly spoiling the view as compared to my naked eyes (however you should be getting the benefit of reducing eye strain due to the slight magnification/prescription and the prismatic effect).

Note that my eyes are now 50yrs old and although I do have a couple of prescription specs I don't wear them as my sight isn't too bad and distances of 0.5 to 3m should be OK for me.

Also regarding spoiling your vision - I did find that under all lighting conditions (lights on, lights off) that there was glare/reflections on the lenses. The glare seemed to glance across the front, penetrate through the lens, and some of the glare seems to have come in from behind (which should not really be possible).

The lens have a yellow tint. This is noticeable for the first 30 seconds - after that I rapidly got used to the colours and accepted it is normal. Note also that the yellow tint also seems to improve and make it easier to read text and differentiate between similar colours - up till now I liked my moniotr to be bright and white however I have heard that some people reduce the contrast and whitness on their monitors to reduce eye strain and improve the picture. These glasses do a similar thing and perhaps I should try adjusting my monitor without using the glasses. One major benefit of the glasses is to reduce the blue light that: can be harmful to your retina due to the high energy; and aparently it reduces chemicals in the brain that helps you sleep. As yayztwo cents said in his youtube review - we need to wit for 20 years before we will be able to tell if these glasses have protected the retina. As to the sleep thing, I havent really noticed anything major over the past 2 nights.

I have used them with a pair of Logitech and a pair of hyper x cloud II headphones and they are comfortable at first (for several hours) - with my logitech headphones one of my ears did start to get a little sore.

GUNNARS claims:
1 reduce eye strain
2 block blue light
3 sleep better
4 prevent dry eyes
5 reduce glare

After 2 days so far my initial feeling regarding the claims are:

1. yes it does reduce eye strain. After being at work I have come home and been on the computer for say 5 hours and normally my eyes would be getting tired but using these GUNNARS they were noticeably less tired. Also strangely when waking in the morning they also felt less tired and more moist/less dry.
2. block blue light - I cannot comment with any measurements but it does make things more yellow - which can help with reading bright text and sometimes to differentiate between colours etc
3. sleep better - I haven't noticed anything.
4. prevent dry eyes - yes surprisingly it does. Reading GUNNARS blurb wearing glasses basically stops wind blowing into the eyes and helps form a more humid atmosphere between in the air between the glasses and the eyes. You could wear any glasses to get this effect but it does seem to work.
5. reduce glare - it actually makes glare worse as compared to not wearing the glasses

other comments: wearing the glasses and headphones make you feel more cocooned and focussed on the screen and sounds - this was good. as mentioned in other posts you can now reduce blue light by buying a modern good quality monitor. Also modern good quality monitors also claim to reduce eye strain by reducing flicker form the back lighting (this is different from the refresh rate and response time). Instead of buying the GUNNARS you could save the money and put it towards a new/better monitor - however if you do then you may miss out on the reduced eye strain from the lens/prismatic effect, less dry eyes and being cocooned and will benefit from avoiding the glare that the glasses seemed to give me.

The youtube reviewers also seemed to like them in general but they do have their drawbacks. Overall however I will continue to wear them for the near term as I do seem to prefer them. If you do need prescription specs then I suspect that your own glasses could be superior as they: will help prevent dry eyes, and that your lenses made of glass is superior to these, and that you can get your lens coated to reduce blue light etc.

I will give it a couple of weeks and will post my findings again.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your review Alan!
I'm glad that you find the GUNNAR's useful to you, although I must admit, i've not had an issue with glare, atleast, I haven't noticed any glare.
However, this is why reviews from consumers are incredibly useful.

Associate
I have been wearing the Gunnars for about three weeks and they have reduced eye tiredness and dryness. Also the yellow tint to reduce the high intensity blue light becomes in-noticeable after 30 seconds and helps see things due to the constraint.

Associate
OP
I have been wearing the Gunnars for about three weeks and they have reduced eye tiredness and dryness. Also the yellow tint to reduce the high intensity blue light becomes in-noticeable after 30 seconds and helps see things due to the constraint.

I am glad they are useful for you Alan!

On a side note - If anyone is going to Insomnia I65 Gaming Festival, we will have Gunnar on our stand so you can try the Glasses there :D

Soldato
Ok, since I am an open minded guy, I decided to give the Gunnar Glasses a try.

Have just ordered a pair of Intercepts about 2 minutes ago. Will post up my thoughts after I get them and use them for a few days.

I hope @Alan1969 is right :)

Soldato
Got the glasses yesterday. Haven't had much of chance to try them out yet.

Just posting my first impressions.

Like Alan I got the Intercepts. The photos do not do them justice. They look a lot better in reality. The build quality is superb. They look and feel like a premium bit of kit.

Just two things bothering me a that moment with them is that they are very tight on my head. I hope they will loosen up after a few days, but, at the moment they put an almost painful pressure just above my ears. This gets worse when I wear my headphones. The second thing is that the nose bridge is very small or something. It's the same measurement as my prescription glasses so I am not sure what the issue is. They don't fit just right. Again, I am hoping it's just a period of adjustment and me getting used to them.

Can't comment on anything else really at this stage. Apart from the fact that they do make things clearer on screen because of the slight prescription adjustment on them. And the yellow tint on the lens is easy to get used to.

Will keep trying them over the next few days and report back again.

Associate
Got the glasses yesterday. Haven't had much of chance to try them out yet.

Just posting my first impressions.

Like Alan I got the Intercepts. The photos do not do them justice. They look a lot better in reality. The build quality is superb. They look and feel like a premium bit of kit.

Just two things bothering me a that moment with them is that they are very tight on my head. I hope they will loosen up after a few days, but, at the moment they put an almost painful pressure just above my ears. This gets worse when I wear my headphones. The second thing is that the nose bridge is very small or something. It's the same measurement as my prescription glasses so I am not sure what the issue is. They don't fit just right. Again, I am hoping it's just a period of adjustment and me getting used to them.

Can't comment on anything else really at this stage. Apart from the fact that they do make things clearer on screen because of the slight prescription adjustment on them. And the yellow tint on the lens is easy to get used to.

Will keep trying them over the next few days and report back again.

My GUNNARS fit well on my head. Occasionally when wearing over ear headphones one of my ears feels a little cramped after many hours. I wear mine now every night and my eyes still feel less tired and not as dry as without them. Yes they are premium feel and quality- and therefore I do not think that they will soften any - it is perhaps as you say a period of adjustment as you get used to them and how to wear them with your particular headphones.

The thing that I find annoying with them is the reflections on the glasses even in a darkened room with the lights switched off - do you find this?

On the other hand I like the yellowness of them and the effect they have on the contrast of the monitor and it does appear to make things stand out more on the screen.

Soldato
My GUNNARS fit well on my head. Occasionally when wearing over ear headphones one of my ears feels a little cramped after many hours. I wear mine now every night and my eyes still feel less tired and not as dry as without them. Yes they are premium feel and quality- and therefore I do not think that they will soften any - it is perhaps as you say a period of adjustment as you get used to them and how to wear them with your particular headphones.

The thing that I find annoying with them is the reflections on the glasses even in a darkened room with the lights switched off - do you find this?

On the other hand I like the yellowness of them and the effect they have on the contrast of the monitor and it does appear to make things stand out more on the screen.

Well, I am close to returning mine. They are still very uncomfortable. They press so tightly against my head that they leave marks and they hurt after a while even if I am not wearing headphones. What I am most annoyed about is the nose bridge. It's the same size as my prescription glasses, which is why I bought the Intercepts, but, doesn't fit the same at all and it starts to hurt after a while too. It's a hard, edgy plastic that's used and it has no give at all.

I haven't noticed much difference between them and wearing my normal glasses for every day use. My eyes don't feel less tired or drier when wearing them. The slight prescription seems to make things clearer, but, it's like when I am at the optician and they are asking me which lens makes things clearer? And I am not sure which actually does. So I am giving the nod slightly to the Intercepts there.

Helping you sleep better at night is pure marketing fluff and should be ignored entirely.

The one place that they have actually helped is while using my Oculus Rift S. For whatever reason, things look better in VR while wearing the Intercepts over my normal glasses. Maybe the slight prescription of the Intercepts just happens to be perfectly aligned with the focal point of the Rift S Lens. I don't know, I am only guessing. But no matter what the explanation is, it's the only reason I am thinking of keeping them.

On Thursday night I will check out the glare in a darkened room and see what I think and report back. It's not something I have noticed in normal use as I don't play in a completely dark room.

Associate
Well, I am close to returning mine. They are still very uncomfortable. They press so tightly against my head that they leave marks and they hurt after a while even if I am not wearing headphones. What I am most annoyed about is the nose bridge. It's the same size as my prescription glasses, which is why I bought the Intercepts, but, doesn't fit the same at all and it starts to hurt after a while too. It's a hard, edgy plastic that's used and it has no give at all.

I haven't noticed much difference between them and wearing my normal glasses for every day use. My eyes don't feel less tired or drier when wearing them. The slight prescription seems to make things clearer, but, it's like when I am at the optician and they are asking me which lens makes things clearer? And I am not sure which actually does. So I am giving the nod slightly to the Intercepts there.

Helping you sleep better at night is pure marketing fluff and should be ignored entirely.

The one place that they have actually helped is while using my Oculus Rift S. For whatever reason, things look better in VR while wearing the Intercepts over my normal glasses. Maybe the slight prescription of the Intercepts just happens to be perfectly aligned with the focal point of the Rift S Lens. I don't know, I am only guessing. But no matter what the explanation is, it's the only reason I am thinking of keeping them.

On Thursday night I will check out the glare in a darkened room and see what I think and report back. It's not something I have noticed in normal use as I don't play in a completely dark room.
I get a bit of glare in a lighted room too that I was not expecting.

Back
Top Bottom