Guy wins $450 million on lottery.

Soldato
Must be a record. I think there are pretty high taxes involved though, maybe up to 40%. So what would you do with all this money. The obvious I suppose, a mansion, few cars, few holidays, money to friends and family, or would you give a lot to charity?

I would do tons or research and hire analyst and invest in bonds/hedge funds/stocks etc, buy a few properties also. Maybe some cheap ones, clean them up and sell at a profit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-450m-lottery-jackpot-hope-do-good-humanity/

Caporegime
he didn't actually win $450million (even before taxes) - it's a misleading figure used for promotion of US lotteries based someone taking the prize over multiple years

he's won more like $280 million as a lump sum and after federal taxes he'll be left with $170 million... so less than half of the amount the press are quoting (not sure if there would be local taxes too)

Caporegime
How can anything ever be too much? Just give away part of it until it gets down to a level that you deem enough.

exactly, it is quite a bizarre idea... "ooh I'd not want that much, it's *too* much!"

well you've got an awesome opportunity to donate a huge sum of money to some causes you really care about... people act like it is a burden despite it being pretty trivial to get rid of any excess

Caporegime
300 SL
Veer Towers one bedroom apartment on the Vegas Strip.
Nice sized house hidden away somewhere in the Hollywood Hills. Nothing too extravagant because I hate having too much space.

This would probably put me ~£20-30 million down. Maybe a lot less actually.

The rest would be invested into science and tech companies, with a bit going to decent charities.

Caporegime
yeah but once your name is out there it won't stop people targeting you.

well you stay anonymous and don't get your picture taken in the Daily Fail with an oversized cheque/popping Champagne etc..

even in US states where they're forced to reveal winner's details people can work around it by setting a trust and having their lawyers collect the winnings etc..

Soldato
well you stay anonymous and don't get your picture taken in the Daily Fail with an oversized cheque/popping Champagne etc..

even in US states where they're forced to reveal winner's details people can work around it by setting a trust and having their lawyers collect the winnings etc..

ok fine, give me the money and i'll see how its goes :)

Soldato
I'd always try to stay Anonymous. Good house that's secure, with a garage for four or five cars I've always wanted. Wouldn't bother with pools, cinema, etc. Then start looking at my options to keep the level of wealth sustainable, whilst also giving out money to good causes (like the one on here recently).

Friends and family would be a 'set them up' job, but once they've got what they need, I wouldn't entertain anyone coming around taking the **** and begging.

Caporegime
In regards it being "too much" it will also colour your relationships with friends and family once they know you have 200 mill, even if you gave loads away. :)

so don't tell them, you could tell them you've "got 10 million from a lottery win" which is perfectly true if you gave away 190 million before you told them

you don't even need to do that these days though tbh... you could just as easily say you found your old hard drive with all those bitcoins you had and now you have "made a nice sum of money" etc..

Back
Top Bottom