Guy wins $450 million on lottery.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The overnight multi-millionaire, whose wealth now matches that of pop star Taylor Swift, said of his spending plans: “I’m only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity.”

Only 20 but with such a level head, if he sticks true to that word, then he's going to do some great things for people and sustain the wealth easily.

Caporegime
If in this country could you buy say 90% of lottery ticket combinations. Obviously you couldn't stand in a shop and order say 12 million tickets but is there a way to somehow order as many tickets as this.

Somewhere in the T&C will require you to actually purchase the ticket combination, either via physical or online or app.

You can't just turn up in head office and write a cheque for the ticket value of the mathematically combination and say "now I am guaranteed to win 100%". They don't have a way for you to write you a receipt that say you have bought every ticket, you need to actually buy every ticket. Also, not only you will win the jackpot, you also will win a lot of 2nd, 3rd or 4th prices. You need to work all that out too.

Also, if someone else win the jackpot, your gamble will be completely ruined.

Caporegime
not necessarily... depends on the prize fund/projected pay outs for the various winning combinations you have

I fully realised that, I did make a point about winning the lower prizes after all.

But if your intention is to win $450 million (or $170 or whatever), now it is halved or 1/3rd. Then you are not getting what you are getting….hence ruined.

Sure, it's not ruined as in you won't get a lot of money, but you have lost half or 2/3rd of your projected. That is a big drop from your plan in the first place. I mean would you have done it if the jackpot is half or 1/3rd or 1/4 of the original prize money? If it is then it would be worth it but you got to be prepared for this eventuality. If enough people win the jackpot of 2nd places, you might come out at a loss. (depending on the lottery/probability/winnings split)

Soldato
Spend £70m setting up myself and family. Chuck the rest in savings, living off the interest while I study degree after degree 'cos why not?

Even a bad savings account would net you £10m a year in interest.

Associate
I would buy a lot, cars, houses, yachts, holidays etc. But I would give lots to charity. Would try and invest most of it and use the profits, but I would just spend some.

Caporegime
I fully realised that, I did make a point about winning the lower prizes after all.

But if your intention is to win $450 million (or $170 or whatever), now it is halved or 1/3rd. Then you are not getting what you are getting….hence ruined.

well I'd hardly phrase it as your plan being "ruined" - the people who try these sort of things are usually well aware of the possible outcomes of the bet they're placing, the possible outcomes are known in advance and form part of the strategy/plan - a plan being ruined would IMO indicate it being somehow undermined, something happening that wasn't part of the plan etc.. like the lottery shutting down the terminal you were using and therefore not being able to get anywhere near the anticipated number of tickets purchased.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

In regards it being "too much" it will also colour your relationships with friends and family once they know you have 200 mill, even if you gave loads away. :)

Only if you've got **** friends and family.

If your friends attitude changes towards you because of the money, then they no longer need to be your friends. It's a bit harder to cast off your family, but 200mil opens up a few solutions to that ;)

Personally, I wouldn't say I'd "won" the money. I'd say I'd developed some software that a company has bought from me but due to the contract I can't discuss what it was or how much I sold it for - would make things simpler. Sure, some "holier than though" types will say you shouldn't lie to your friends and family but meh.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

In regards it being "too much" it will also colour your relationships with friends and family once they know you have 200 mill, even if you gave loads away. :)

If your friends attitude changes towards you because of the money, then they no longer need to be your friends. It's a bit harder to cast off your family, but 200mil opens up a few solutions to that ;)

Personally, I wouldn't say I'd "won" the money. I'd say I'd developed some software that a company has bought from me but due to the contract I can't discuss what it was or how much I sold it for - would make things simpler. Sure, some "holier than though" types will say you shouldn't lie to your friends and family but meh.

hux

hux

Soldato
Given this much thought over the years and honselty I'd give myself a quality life, but keep it fairly quiet.
I'm not someone who could live a lavish life, just few odds and ends to keep me happy and that's all I need.

So save whatever is the best amount to set me up for life, sort out a few friends and family because who wouldn't.
First thing would be to sort out the friends/family then bugger off around the world, taking in everything really see the world, and figure out where I'd like to live.
Then 2-3 cars, one definitely being the new tesla roadster, then a big suv and after a nice bimmer or merc.
No mansion because well that's just daft, just a big house with a few rooms, big garage fully loaded with a pit, hoist and the usual.
Arcade room with everything from the 70s and 80s.

And that's it, oh and a Nikon D850 with all the gear I fancy, love trekking so love to have that with me when I bugger off.

Caporegime
Following on from my post, I've found the example I would buy:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...0sl/1956-mercedes-benz-300sl-gullwing/7858937

In my opinion it is the most incredible car ever made. Absolute perfection - and the only dream I've ever had since I was a child and bought a 300 SL toy car.

I'd even hang back and try and purchase the full aluminium version which would probably set me back an extra 10 million. The holy grail of cars.

Soldato
The big problem is where to store it all. Most of it won't be insured if you put it all in one place. Best to spend it on property asap I think.

But yea, don't tell many people or you'll have people coming out of the woodwork asking for money.

Last edited:
Permabanned

If you're friends attitude changes towards you because of the money, then they no longer need to be your friends. It's a bit harder to cast off your family, but 200mil opens up a few solutions to that ;)

Not sure you have thought about it much at all. :)

There are a few programs about lottery winners and the problems that arise, there were many that were not happy. Not that I wouldn't take the chance to "deal" with it. :p

Caporegime
The big problem is where to store it all. It won't be insured if you put it all in one place.

It can be - the government will sell you debt too you know, you can invest in gilts if you want the government to guarantee you getting paid.

Caporegime
well I'd hardly phrase it as your plan being "ruined" - the people who try these sort of things are usually well aware of the possible outcomes of the bet they're placing, the possible outcomes are known in advance and form part of the strategy/plan - a plan being ruined would IMO indicate it being somehow undermined, something happening that wasn't part of the plan etc.. like the lottery shutting down the terminal you were using and therefore not being able to get anywhere near the anticipated number of tickets purchased.

So are we now arguing about the pendantry over the choice over one word when I have written paragraphs of “disclaimers”?

Back
Top Bottom