***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
That's fine, but I think you could have more tension in your core. That's always going to be harder on higher rep sets though.

Man of Honour
OP
Big improvements from everyone!

I think what you both need most now is practice. You both need a little more glute activation and drive, a little more stiffness in your torso, and tension on the bar before the reps.

Man of Honour
OP
Speed reps is something you should save for a little further down the road. Speeding things up too much will make it harder to make corrections.

Man of Honour
OP
They are a great help here, but you have to make sure that your form is good, which is non-trivial! I'm currently in the process of de-training hundreds of bad reps... my 110kg muscle clean won't be beaten for a while :( I want 140kg asap, but I'm only going to tolerate silky smooth awesomeness.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, I've added some people's videos to the OP.

More submissions are welcome, but I'd rather have links to this thread so that any discussion for those videos can also take place here. There will be exceptions to this rule, but it's my preference for now.

Quotes, like Syla5 and Dom have done, are perfectly fine.

Man of Honour
OP
How about some bulgarian split squats? :p

Considering they're the basis of my leg workouts at the moment
Pro-tip: Check what's already in the list before suggesting new lifts ;)

edit: They've been there from the beginning.
Some box squat stuff would be good. Just thought of that as I'm gonna be doing some in the garage tonight (onto a 12" box)
Box squats are covered in the "So you think you can squat" series which is already linked to.

I'm just watching it again, if I think there is anything else that isn't covered then I'll address it with it's own section. I think there is a good t-nation article...

Man of Honour
OP
The hips coming up is only very slight, and for Dom is mostly a motor patterning issue. If we were seeing things start to look more good morning-ish (back becomes a lot more horizontal as the hips come up) there would be cause for concern, but the degree to which it's happening is mostly the expression of hip drive.

Depth is very deceptive for Dom with that camera angle and stance too, when filming I asked him to bury the last one because I thought the others were borderline, but it turns out they weren't.

Man of Honour
OP
Meh, if you have mobility questions then ask them there, but here's fine for now.

I'd say do all of the hamstring and glute stretches once a day for about 15 mins, which should be easy enough to fit in if you make the effort.

Try step ups to the weights bench, there is info in the OP.

Man of Honour
OP
That is essentially correct, but hip mobility/stability comes in to it. That's a good height to work at or towards, but some people might need to start lower if their hips wobble out to the side too much.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone have any recommended videos for box squats? Reading through the article now but a video would be good.

Also what are people's views on front box squats - are they worth it?
The videos in the squat section are box squats.

Front box squats are also good.

The most important question, however, is why do you want to do them?
Here's the video.

So what I was doing wrong in this video is a rock forward to initiate the lift off the bench. On my next set I fixed it but didn't get a video. I will get a better one on Friday.

You've also got a fair amount of backwards momentum as you hit your box.

I'd prefer a box that was an inch lower as well.
1. No trainers....... Why??? I certainly lift with trainers and being a size 13, it won't be easy or cheap to find anything else suitable.

2. Upright rows to be avoid..... Why???
1. As stated in the OP, anything with a hard flat sole is suitable, so this doesn't have to be expensive. Trainers are rubbish, I only wear them when I'm not really doing any lifting. Not only are you creating an unstable lifting platform (Dear physio ball bicep curlers: no, this is not a good thing), you are also going to absorb a percentage of the force you deliver through your squishy heel.

If you've got weak ankles with poor flexibility, this is going to create all kinds of problems.

2. First and foremost, with any type of bar (sorry Morba ;)) you are at risk from being severely internally rotated at the top of the movement. The shoulder is extremely weak here, and this is where you're putting the most force through it. It's not a simple case of "just do them with good form", a high percentage of people CAN'T get their shoulders back into the right position at the top (see MWOD videos for shoulder internal rotation to see what I mean).

This doesn't stop huge numbers of gym folk doing them, even if they're experiencing pain. Side note: just because you're not experiencing pain, it doesn't mean you're not damaging your shoulders.

A good method of testing whether you have internally rotated shoulders is to ask yourself the following questions: Do you sit at a desk? Do you bench press? If you answered yes, then you probably have internally rotated shoulders (which ironically means you're missing internal rotation when your should is in the right place). The mobility thread is there to save you ;)

There will be some people who can do these safely, but most people don't know
that their movement is bad movement so assume that they are in this group.

The bottom line for me is this: it's a risky exercise, and there are alternatives that do a better job anyway.

Back
Top Bottom