***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
You need a slightly straighter back (tending a little towards extension) in the set up, and a little bit more anterior pelvic tilt/stick your arse out more.

Man of Honour
OP
Congrats on the PB then!

There is definitely a lot more there, so we'll have a play on Saturday if you want. In terms of weekly workout stuff though, go back to 85kg for a few triples (until they start to feel poo) and add 5kg per week. This should see you straight through to 120kg for triples without much bother, provided that you remember all the coaching points!

Man of Honour
OP
Poor glute flexibility, poor hamstring flexibility, poor hip hinge motor pattern, poor core stiffness.

Over extending (sticking your bum out) will turn off your core.

Man of Honour
OP
But you told me you where stretching your glutes and hams :mad::mad::mad:

;)

Edit: You goblets are much better partially because you are actually turning on your core.

Man of Honour
OP
Over extending won't help your back as well.

MOAR glute stretching needed, and you need to be more aggressive with your hammies.

If we get time on Saturday I will fix you with my healing hands...

Man of Honour
OP
You are hugely quad dominant Delvis! It's not an injury risk or anything, but you need to learn to hip hinge and load your hamstrings properly. This is kind of the same thing as sticking your bum back, but a good hip hinge specifically describes the relationship between your hips, femurs and spine.

Lumbar stability looks good.

Are your knee maintaining a good position? A problem you might be having (due to not sticking your bum back enough) is that you're loading your ankle massively at the bottom. This is why you think you need more anke range, when in reality your knees are already coming quite far forward.

What to stretch? It's STILL your hamstrings :p

Man of Honour
OP
I mean that you can stick your bum out and still get the movement wrong, but a good hip hinge means good hip position, good hamstring loading and spinal stability.

Man of Honour
OP
Also, do you do personal sessions? Or is this just a hobby? :p
Funny you should mention that, it's something I'm contemplating setting up.

If you can make the trip to Oxford at some point I'd be more than happy give you a session. Email in trust.

There are lots of other exercises we can do to coach the hip hinge and then integrate it properly with the squat, but it's quite technical. That video of you hip hinging is ok, but not perfect.

Ideally, you'd do a progression something like:

RDL with bar
Single leg RDL
Weighted single leg RDL
Good morning with a light bar (broom stick handle etc.)

Along with various bracing exercises, and stretching anything that needs stretching on the way (keeping our squatting end goal in mind).

That K-Star stretch you posted might be useful overall (and I'd certainly recommend you try it), but it won't directly help what I'm talking about.

The basic mechanical problem that you're teaching your body to overcome is how to maintain spinal stability when pushing into hamstring end range. There is a huge mental component to this, and yet it isn't as simple as "just sort it out".

Man of Honour
OP
The more I train and the more I learn, the more I dislike Rip's coaching. Some of what he says is fine, but then he comes out with some really odd things as well.

It's fairly standard for a "Rip squat" to end up like this (some mild swearies):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNAc4_9pn4

Mark Bell does a good job of ripping that to shreds.

Man of Honour
OP
There is just something fundamental that isn't clicking. I've seen videos where you nail it, but you can't seem to make it stick between sessions or even sets.

I've got a few things in mind to try.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I think they're both fine, good even, it's just that you're able to cultivate the tightness and positioning faster and with less messing around.

It's what good training progression looks like tbh.

Man of Honour
OP
That's such a big improvement from a few months ago!

Good tightness, good core activation, bar is well positioned, but your arse does need to be a couple of inches lower to get the most out of your legs. You don't need to have a stretch in your hamstrings for them to exert a lot of force.

Keep your set up EXACTLY the same, and then just drop your hips a few inches.

Great work!

Back
Top Bottom