***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

So here's some videos of me squatting and pressing.

Mobility work I did in the gym before the workout was this MWOD ankle one, this ankle one and this thoracic foam rolling, which I hope will help with my posture.

On the squats on a few reps I started feeling very slight discomfort in my hip area again, at the very bottom of the squat. Also after finishing the workout, my hip/groin area felt fatigued/stretched, but in a good way rather than a bad way. Also none of the problems can be from lifting too much, as it's 10kg I'm squatting :o

As for OHP, my left wrist still really hurts. I tried different grip styles, like Benny C suggested but my left wrist hurt, and my right wrist was absolutely fine.

I don't know how, but a bit of mobility work, 5 sets of squats and 4 sets of OHPs took me nearly 90mins in the gym. I need to become more time efficient, I don't have time to waste :p

I think I'll go again tomorrow, there's no chance of overtraining if I'm lifting such light weights: 10kg on the squat, 22.5kg on the OHP :P.

Thanks gents, really appreciate this.

Last edited:
Yeah, you basically need to do this every day. I have a lot of respect for the fact that you're trying, so well done for that :)

There are small signs of improvement in your squat, but it obviously isn't ideal yet. Stretch your adductors, glutes and hamstrings as well your ankles. Look into the mwod squat warm up too, it's a nice way of opening your hips.

Get a video from behind too, I can't see if your knees are wide enough.

Trim your videos too ;)

Thanks ice. What would you recommend as stretches? For hip adductors, I've been using the adductor/abductor machine, seems to work quite well so far. For ankles, I've been doing the two exercises that I linked in the above post. I've been doing this, is that the squat warmup you're referring too? I wasn't sure I was doing it correctly as I wasn't always feeling the stretch in the same area that he says I should be.

Adductor stretches are listed here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21560529&postcount=248

...but doing some quick lateral lunges (keep your feet parallel and stationary in a wide stance and squat down over either foot) is good too.

Yeah, that's the warm up video I'd recommend.

Ah yeah I've got your squatting guide open as a permanent tab :p

I'll try a whole load of mobility today and see how it goes. Also I'll get the vid of me squatting from behind.

You sure could do with coming to a meet thecenturion, defo committed and willing which is great, but sometimes some direct coaching works wonders. Stick at it though.

That's a great idea syla, I'm up for that.

Question about mwod's ankle mobility exercise where you stretch it on the barbell. How am I supposed toknow when I'm doing it right? It's just painful to dig my ankle into a barbell.

With the OHP, head back then press upwards. At the moment your head is still and you press the bar out and around your face.
Watch as the bar comes down, you put head back and bar comes almost straight down, just do the opposite to go upwards :)

The one I linked to in the post above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aLj_VkfQzJI#t=159s

With the OHP, head back then press upwards. At the moment your head is still and you press the bar out and around your face.
Watch as the bar comes down, you put head back and bar comes almost straight down, just do the opposite to go upwards :)

Thanks, I knew something was wrong with the line of the bar, couldn't put my finger on it. Will try that next time, hopefully it will be improved form :D

Hello chaps, more footage for you to lol at/critique. Before squatting, I did this ankle/heel cord exercise, however I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly because it hurts to press your heel cord against a barbell :p

I also did this rocking ankle mobilisation. I did MWOD's hip opener and some hamstring stretches. Also I did this thoracic extension on the gym's foam roller. I'm now pretty sure I have APT, so other than thoracic extensions and glute bridges, what other exercises would help fix this?

Oh and funny thing happened today. The trainer at the gym today said that my squat technique was wrong. Apparently my feet need to face forward and I need to breath throughout the whole exercise. LOL. I told her I need to hold my breath to keep my core tight, and she said that I would get hypertension if I hold my breath. My training partner and I just laughed to ourselves.

I've got two videos, 2 sets from the side view and 2 sets from a rear view.

I've noticed I'm not quite making parallel on every rep, hmmm.

Stance is quite wide and feet are quite pointed out, I would suggest narrow the stance bringing each foot in 2-4" and have your feet no more the 10 degrees from straight. You need to smooth out the squat and I think a wide stance is something to develop in to, not to start with.

Back
Top Bottom