***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
Just wanted to say, for the benefit of any gym rat newbies out there, goblet squats are the bees knees for learning good squat form. For the past year, I have meddled with BB squats as it gets pushed allot on the internet, but this past month I stripped away all that manliness and switched to the goblet. Why? Because i never felt my form was quite right, and nor could i seem to make any progress with my regular routine. For the sake of being macho, i jumped straight into squatting with the barbell, with too much weight and thought I was progressing when really I was floundering.

So for a month its been barefoot goblet squats, in front of the mirror, concentrating on driving the knees out (you can use your elbows to drive them out as wide as possible before starting a set), and maintaining a strong core, posture, back etc. The weight is obviously lower than what can be stacked on a bar, but can still be ramped up reasonably well.

Tuesday I went back to trying some BB squats and man, wow, my form feels so much better, knees driven out, driving from the heels, better stability, deeper, more power in the hole.

So yeah, don't run before you can walk, and don't be ashamed to take a step back and start again :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Can clearly see the form break now in my deadlift. Can't keep my chest up as I take the load. Weakness is off the floor. Very noticeable as the weight goes up.

Man of Honour
OP
I still like it more. Much, much, smoother force curve.

I recently looked back over some of my pre snap deadlift videos, and it turns out that my hips are now noticeably lower. Kind of makes sense as a compensation, but it's time to play around with loading my hammies harder now that it SHOULD be fully healed (can be 6 months though :().

Man of Honour
OP
Weakness is anterior core + not spent much time lifting this way?
Yeah pretty much.

You would have hit the same weakness/limitation eventually with your previous style, but attacking it with more balance is just more... betterer :D I have a feeling you would have added 5-10kg more fairly quickly and then hit a wall, and this would have been exactly where your speed dropped. Your force curve was so wobbly (technical term :mad:) that it relied on speed from certain portions to get you through others. This is much better, in that regular deadlift training hits your weakness more directly.

Caporegime
Yep, lower as you're above parallel, you also don't appear too be using your glutes from my untrained eye? So its a lot more quad based.

You need to try and power through out of the whole, just looks like your standing up casually :p

Man of Honour
OP
LiE, I'm not sure what I'd recommend. 5x5 might well rape you if you're using a decent weight, and there is no reason for you not to. Whatever you do, keep it simple initially so you can monitor what's working.

Maxeh, nice! If you can get 3-4" more depth and keep it looking like that then you'll be golden. I can't see what your knees are doing from that angle though. Delvis is kind of right in that you need to finish the rep with a strong lock out (train fast be fast), but your movement does use your glutes reasonably well.

Soldato
It is probably jut the plates spinning on the end of the bar, but it's a bit weird that every rep they move as if the bar is being turned as you carry out the rep and your elbows are moving under the bar as well, which makes it look very much like the bar is being rolled. Are you keeping the bar still as if your not your losing out on all kinds of tightness.

Last edited:
Associate
I will get another video next week and really go for some depth.

Pretty here the bar stays still, will get a better angle.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Back
Top Bottom