***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
KNEES OUT

Time to stop ****ing about with the adductor stretching as well. Search the mwod website, there are loads you can do without bands - even the ones with bands can mostly be done without bands.

STOP ARCHING YOUR BACK. You will snap it. NEUTRAL spine, braced core.

Also

and

Yours, with bluntness and love,

icecold
xxx

Soldato
Thecenturion

What I have done is widen my stance and tried to overly slow the movement in the first portion of the video. What you can see is this makes it a lot harder to keep balance, I cannot load my legs correctly as they are already bracing inefficiently and I can't bring them past vertical, and it makes back control a lot harder.
In the latter portion of the clip I widen my stance, screw in to the floor through my heels, make sure I have a neutral spine, and brace my core.
By doing all of the above it allows room for my knees to be pushed out, it improves stability from the beginning of the movement, I can retain full control and balance rather then having to fight for balance.
Hopefully you can see the difference in doing these things. Hopefully the vid is helpful/useful in even the smallest way :)

Associate
Hi all

Been working out my maxs for a HST routine, all is going well apart from the stiff leg deadlift.

I know where it should be working but I seem to feel it most in the lower back.

Anyone had problems with this exercise? How did you correct it?

EDIT: Nevermind, think Ive found my answer :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Guys Lie recommended I posted this on here

At the end of my work out at the start of the week just wanted to quickly get a vid of some deadlifts.

If anyone could offer some advice it would be great.

Soldato
Errr... sort of. :)

Feet just outside of shoulder width, core braced, shoulders back and dumbell up just under your chin.

Push your knees out WIDE as you sit down between your ankles. Keep your shoulders back and core tight as you do this; this should keep your torso almost vertical (or pretty close).

See how far you can go down (knees out WIDE!!! and shoulders BACK!!!). IF you can get to parallel, then great. If you can't, don't force it, and carry on with your mobility. :)

Will get a goblet squat tomorrow hopefully.

Just get a quick vid at home and squat with your arms out or on your chest or something.

That last rep on the first vid is exactly what you don't want to be doing I would have thought, you kind of snap your butt back, look up and do something with your spine :p With load, that's going to hurt presumably.

Cheers bud, I am trying to keep my neck/spine neutral.

Yours, with bluntness and love,

icecold
xxx
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

<3

What I have done is widen my stance and tried to overly slow the movement in the first portion of the video. What you can see is this makes it a lot harder to keep balance, I cannot load my legs correctly as they are already bracing inefficiently and I can't bring them past vertical, and it makes back control a lot harder.
In the latter portion of the clip I widen my stance, screw in to the floor through my heels, make sure I have a neutral spine, and brace my core.
By doing all of the above it allows room for my knees to be pushed out, it improves stability from the beginning of the movement, I can retain full control and balance rather then having to fight for balance.
Hopefully you can see the difference in doing these things. Hopefully the vid is helpful/useful in even the smallest way :)

Thank you very much mate. Yeah I can see the difference for sure.

Would you say the fact that you were going slowly was compounding your problems? Should I go quicker downwards?

Soldato
The movement shouldn't feel forced. I wouldn't suggest that you need to move fast, but your taking along time on each rep. I felt when mimicking your movement pattern it felt forced and uncomfortable and I don't know if I would have been able to do it much faster anyway.
Take notes with you next session and find a natural movement, if it looks forced and disjointed then your doing it wrong.
Where are you based, is there not a gym rat near you at all?

Soldato
The movement shouldn't feel forced. I wouldn't suggest that you need to move fast, but your taking along time on each rep. I felt when mimicking your movement pattern it felt forced and uncomfortable and I don't know if I would have been able to do it much faster anyway.
Take notes with you next session and find a natural movement, if it looks forced and disjointed then your doing it wrong.
Where are you based, is there not a gym rat near you at all?

There must be a gym rat near me. I'm at London Bridge and my gym is at Waterloo.

Soldato
I seem to be struggling to keep a neutral spine as of late and feel that I'm actually in a slight extension during squats. I might try not raising my chest quite so high. My upper back feels good and as nice and tight. Bracing my core properly by breathing with my diaphragm. Even without any 'tuck' I'm still conscious my errectors seem to be loaded quite unnaturally. No videos atm I'm afraid.

I've got some core work planned, I do very little direct core work and it is probably weaker than it should be. I've have watched the MWOD video regarding using torque for a stable back and have been applying it to RDL's.

Last edited:
Soldato
About to go to the gym, will get a goblet squat vid for mrthingyx.

Looking through the Mwod vids for hamstring and adductors, I'm still confused as hell. I find it difficult to follow his vids and to understand if I'm doing the exercise correctly.

Ice, I tried that squat to stand with reach that you linked to, and I can't do it :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ice, I tried that squat to stand with reach that you linked to, and I can't do it :p

Which bit can't you do?

Because if you can't get down that low or do the 'stand' bit, then there's (EDIT: ALMOST)no point with the goblet squat as your adductors/hamstrings are tighter than a tight thing and need remedial work. Simple. :)

I suspect this is the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay at the moment I am trying to do this, but as soon as I put my leg against the wall, when I try to bring my other leg forward it feels like my quad is about to snap so I can't actually do it. Does this mean that my quads are super tight as well?

Wow, am I too inflexible to do mobility work? :o

The relevant part of the vid starts from 1 min 10sec

Man of Honour
How can my body be so frail and such a pussy? How can I be so inflexible at 18? :(

Because you've never tried doing this before? :)

Okay at the moment I am trying to do this, but as soon as I put my leg against the wall, when I try to bring my other leg forward it feels like my quad is about to snap so I can't actually do it. Does this mean that my quads are super tight as well?

Wow, am I too inflexible to do mobility work? :o

Nope. You're just inflexible. :)

Soldato
Your over thinking it, I think your trying to do far to much mobility, and unless you spend 23 hours a day cramped in a box, literally, then you shouldn't be so tight that you are not able to squat. I have a feeling it's just a case of you not getting the movement, and over thinking it.

Soldato
Your over thinking it, I think your trying to do far to much mobility, and unless you spend 23 hours a day cramped in a box, literally, then you shouldn't be so tight that you are not able to squat. I have a feeling it's just a case of you not getting the movement, and over thinking it.

I hope so buddy. Just gotta get that form right and activate the muscles at the right time.

Just spent the last 2 hours reading up on and doing mobility work. About to go to the gym, at least I can get straight to squatting rather than spending ages doing mobility in the gym.

FFS I shouldn't be doing this at all. I should be in the library studying, not in the gym failing to squat. But I'm going to make myself big and strong, hopefully it doesn't mean I fail my exams...

Back
Top Bottom