***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
I've been reading more of Beyond Brawn tonight and been going through the training logs on here.

For bulking, how do you lot organise your sets/reps?

I'm doing RPT at the moment on my cut which works nicely and it seems it would be an ideal way to continue once I start bulking again. McRobert bangs on about progressive poundages. The idea is you keep all variables identical but just increase the weight. So If I did 3 sets of Bench at 90x10,100x8,110x6... Do you just keep adding poundages so that you can always perform your target reps of 10,8,6? Surely doing it 6,8,10 RPT style is going to be better?

I've also noticed some of you train exactly the same weight/reps multiple times which I've never seen before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Little help with a bit of an injury please!

So, I was benching in a new gym and over-estimated how high the catchers were at the back...so much so that when I attempt to rack the weight there was no catcher there and the weight just fell back with me holding it. But, as there was a mirror behind me I held on to the weight - this hurt my shoulder.

Since then, I've had difficulty doing OHP - every other movement is fine. Does this sound like it might be a deltoid injury? It doesn't hurt on every OHP rep, and when it does it's mostly at the top of the rep..help!? :D

Associate
Hi all, I haven't been able to squat for afew weeks due to a foot injury so I thought it would be a good time to lower the weight and work on form.

As always feedback is appreciated!

Just the bar

60kg

Man of Honour
Tighter core (front and back), knees out, and keep your descent under control: you need to keep your glutes and hammies active to make sure your position in the bottom of the squat is stable and you don't rock backwards and forwards (as you do on some of the reps).

Soldato
Another form check on my low bar squats, if you please.

My thoughts: I still have the problem I had when I posted a couple of months ago: weight going forward toward the bottom of the squat. Also, I think I'm barely making parallel - would you agree?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
OP
Pay attention to the path your bar and hips take. If you're going to sit back then stay back and keep your shins more vertical, if you want to sit more between your ankles then go straight there rather than sitting back on the way.

Man of Honour
You're still doing quasi-high bar.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to high bar (I find the movement feels like it makes more 'sense', but this means keeping your chest up and working your bum between your hips.

Low bar, you'll need to sit bar a lot more and get the bar lower onto your rear delts and traps (it should hurt like anything when you first find the right position, because it's not used to having a bar sit there).

Watch one of LiE squat videos in his log and you'll see great examples of low bar squatting. Same applies to icecold, too (there are plenty of other examples of great squats, but these two have very obvious and clear technique).

Soldato
Squat day today. I didn't do any videos this time but it still needs a lot of work. That said I'm getting my knees out much wider now and finding it much easier to lift heavier loads. It's just my back is still over the place. Lower bar position also fixed, feels much more comfortable now.

Soldato
Pay attention to the path your bar and hips take. If you're going to sit back then stay back and keep your shins more vertical, if you want to sit more between your ankles then go straight there rather than sitting back on the way.

You're still doing quasi-high bar.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to high bar (I find the movement feels like it makes more 'sense', but this means keeping your chest up and working your bum between your hips.

Low bar, you'll need to sit bar a lot more and get the bar lower onto your rear delts and traps (it should hurt like anything when you first find the right position, because it's not used to having a bar sit there).

Watch one of LiE squat videos in his log and you'll see great examples of low bar squatting. Same applies to icecold, too (there are plenty of other examples of great squats, but these two have very obvious and clear technique).

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely trying to stick with low bar, sitting back, shins "vertical" style.

Associate
Marvel at my amazing chicken legs!!! :D:mad:

Some more vids for comments. Still feel like I'm struggling with deadlifts. The vid is the last set out of the seven I did.

Deadlift

Front squat 40kg

Front squat 50kg

Front squat 60kg

Man of Honour
Nice squatting! Nice ankle mobility! :)

For the fronties, keep a big chest with your shoulders back. It's tough, but makes handling bigger weights easier and less tiring.

Try and keep the bar path consistent and smoother, too, so you don't rock (this only happened once or twice, anyway...).

Man of Honour
OP
Knees out more on the fronties. I bet you can get pretty much bolt upright.

Your hips come up far too quickly on your deadlifts. Your hips come up 6" without the bar moving at all, which is a waste of hip power. Another way of looking at it is that you only want your back to move towards being vertical. Keep your chest up!

You have a lovely hip hinge though, so I'm confident that when these minor issues are delt with you'll be moving very nicely and shifting big weights.

Associate
Cheers ice. Really appreciate the feedback (and yours mrthingy).

What causes hips to rise other than 'I'm doing it wrong'?! Is it a weakness somewhere or I'm not keeping my core tight.

Back
Top Bottom