***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
Snapped yet another resistance band today, think I'll have to bite the bullet after pay day and tidy up the spare room and get one of those benches from Argos for about £50.

How is a bench going to help you keep your knees out with squatting, your shoulders, hips and ankles mobile and your glute meds strong? :( ;)

Soldato
I question the things your doing with so called resistance bands. Even the bottom end red bands rated 2-11kg are bloody hard to snap unless your being a complete **** with them and pushing them way past the tolerance they are designed for.

Soldato
I question the things your doing with so called resistance bands. Even the bottom end red bands rated 2-11kg are bloody hard to snap unless your being a complete **** with them and pushing them way past the tolerance they are designed for.

I'm using them to swing from trees, what else?

They are actually snapping at where they are connected to the clips/rings.

Pop into a thread for a chat/advice and people go on the offensive because your not a regular.

Caporegime

Pop into a thread for a chat/advice and people go on the offensive because your not a regular.

Not at all, it may have been slightly blunt but he's basically asking what you're doing with them :p

You say where they are connected to clips? Do you mean something like a carabiner? Honestly, the small red band can take quite a beating.

The next question is, where did you get the band from?

Man of Honour

Don't post anything other than "Snapped yet another resistance band today, think I'll have to bite the bullet after pay day and tidy up the spare room and get one of those benches from Argos for about £50." and expect to get a useful response? ;)

There are sets of "generally practiced" things that people do with bands, so please forgive us if buying a bench does not appear to make any sense in the context of resistance bands. If you're doing something cool and funky, then great, but you need to explain this.

So put your huff away, and start again. :)

By the sound of it, the bits you're attaching them to don't sound very kind to bands. Also, what bands (and brands) are you using? And what is their resistance?

Soldato
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The glass is half full, heh! :D

Legs are still in a lot of pain so going to have another stab on Monday and correct some of the points mentioned. Bench Press, Close Grip Bench Press and weighted Parallel Dips tomorrow. RPT, 3 sets of each and that's it. Love abbreviated training! Sounds like nothing but I'll be struggling for air by the end of that.

Soldato
Need some advice on lower groin training, coming back after a 2 year break from a broken back and a hernia. The hernia is what concerns me most and its low in my groin and feels quite hard to target for exercise yet very easy to undo the repair. im being awful cautious at the moment but obviously i need this to progress along with the rest of my training to support my core etc, any advice on exercises to target this?

Soldato
Quick form check.

This is my 3rd ever session of deadlifts and I can see why people love them so much!

Any thoughts? I'm focusing mainly on getting my back right at the moment, can finer tune grip etc later.

My lower back feels bloody stiff at the moment and particularly afterwards during my pull-up sets... I'm assuming this is normal?
Also please ignore the shoes again some H&S numpty came and asked me to put them on as I didn't have any socks on.

Set looked like this:

Deadlifts
{30x5,30x6,40x4}
WS
50x10
60x8 - Video
80x6
90x6
90x5

Soldato
Hips to Low to start, the first thing that happens is your hips move about half a foot befor the bar starts to move. *Lifting in trainers like that will make the lift a lot more like a deficit deadlifts, making it harder for you and hitting the lower back more. You want to keep your head more neutral, try and make a double chin, and then just dial that off a little, you don't need to check yourself out in the mirror as all the important stuff is going on with your back ;).
Lower back is rounding, I am having all kinds of lumbar control issues at the moment as well, you might want to review hip hinging and a top down setup, and core bracing and all of these will help you maintain a neutral spin.
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/teaching-the-hip-hinge/
http://youtu.be/6JgGPWoYXqk

*i know you mentioned you got moaned at but it's important to understand why it's better not to deadlifts in shoes with big squishy, uneven soles.

Man of Honour
OP
Need some advice on lower groin training, coming back after a 2 year break from a broken back and a hernia. The hernia is what concerns me most and its low in my groin and feels quite hard to target for exercise yet very easy to undo the repair. im being awful cautious at the moment but obviously i need this to progress along with the rest of my training to support my core etc, any advice on exercises to target this?
Your best bet is going to be mastering the basics of movement from the hip. This is going to be primarily anything that uses a hip hinge, and will rely heavily on you bracing using the entirety of your core from pelvis floor to diaphragm.

Soldato
Hips to Low to start, the first thing that happens is your hips move about half a foot befor the bar starts to move. *Lifting in trainers like that will make the lift a lot more like a deficit deadlifts, making it harder for you and hitting the lower back more. You want to keep your head more neutral, try and make a double chin, and then just dial that off a little, you don't need to check yourself out in the mirror as all the important stuff is going on with your back ;).
Lower back is rounding, I am having all kinds of lumbar control issues at the moment as well, you might want to review hip hinging and a top down setup, and core bracing and all of these will help you maintain a neutral spin.
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/teaching-the-hip-hinge/
http://youtu.be/6JgGPWoYXqk

*i know you mentioned you got moaned at but it's important to understand why it's better not to deadlifts in shoes with big squishy, uneven soles.

Seems it's exactly the same issues as I have with Squats.

Aside from the hip position and lower back rounding is it OK? I'm committed to getting my form right in DL+SQ before I start lifting heavier weights which can actually cause serious damage. Would you look at that video and think I don't have a clue what I'm doing or do you see someone who just needs to tighten up on their form?

Cheers mate. I'll go through that article and the video seems helpful.

Associate
Ok, here goes. Below are vids of bodyweight squat, front squat and deadlifts for comments.

As mentioned in my log, I suffer with lower back pain so I don’t deadlift but wouldn’t mind starting again if i can do them properly. I’ve gone topless so you can see the full extent of my dysfunctional spine!

Sorry for the poor vids but I can’t get the camera any further back in my small cellar. Also, it decides to refocus itself on the deadlift vid!

Be fair!

Body squat

Deadlift

Front squat

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Mirin ankle flexibility on the squat.

Deads will be fine when you sort out your positions. Your hips are too high and shoulders too far forward of the bar. This gets worse when your hips rise faster than your shoulders when you pull. Good general activation though.

Back
Top Bottom