• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[H]ardOCP: GeForce Partner Program Impacts Consumer Choice

bru

bru

Soldato
Exactly NVidia know they will get a certain amount of takers and those that don't will lose out, yes I agree that doesn't make it right, but NVidia are playing the game by their rules, enough companies just have to say no that isn't on and they will adjust things.

Caporegime
Exactly NVidia know they will get a certain amount of takers and those that don't will lose out, yes I agree that doesn't make it right, but NVidia are playing the game by their rules, enough companies just have to say no that isn't on and they will adjust things.

You don't get it. Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte say no, nVidia response, fine we will allocate your SKU's to EVGA, Zotac, Palit, Inno3D, KFA2.... nVidia have so many exclusive partners they can cut Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte out of the equation completely and still win.

Caporegime
You don't get it. Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte say no, nVidia response, fine we will allocate your SKU's to EVGA, Zotac, Palit, Inno3D, KFA2.... nVidia have so many exclusive partners they can cut Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte out of the equation completely and still win.

These guys are not going to shoot themselves in the head for principles sake. nor should they.

bru

bru

Soldato
As I just said if enough companies just say no (god this is beginning to sound like a anti drugs campaign:p) then NVidia will change things.

Obviously the way it is presented to these companies is just enough to get them to have to think about it and then sign, rather than just shake their head and say no way. NVidia are not stupid they know exactly what they are doing.

Just in case I am not clear on this subject, I don't like it at all, possibly not quite as venomously as some others, but I don't like it, but they know exactly what they are doing.

Caporegime
As I just said if enough companies just say no (god this is beginning to sound like a anti drugs campaign:p) then NVidia will change things.

Obviously the way it is presented to these companies is just enough to get them to have to think about it and then sign, rather than just shake their head and say no way. NVidia are not stupid they know exactly what they are doing.

Just in case I am not clear on this subject, I don't like it at all, possibly not quite as venomously as some others, but I don't like it, but they know exactly what they are doing.

Did you read Kyles report?

Kyle confirmed Asus and MSI already have, they also told him it was not out of choice, they felt it was made clear to them, on a wink and a nod that they would lose SKU allocation. this is the point i'm making.

If this was such a great thing for everyone why are nVidia refusing to talk about it? why are they sending out emails to reviewers warring them that if they talk about it in any way that's anything other than positive they risk damaging their relationship with them?

Why are these AIB's telling Kyle they feel pressured and wronged by nVidia in this? why take control of vendors branding in the first place, why not work with them to make up their own?

Soldato

Enough companies won't say no as the ones that are Nvidia only ie. EVGA, Zotac and Palit have no reason to not sign up which in turn forces companies like Asus, Msi and Gigabyte to sign up. To me this sounds a little like Blackmail on Nvidia's part.

Permabanned
So what you're saying is Asus can call its AMD GPU's ROG but not nVidia and in that way get around it?

Are you serious? before i go on i need to be sure this is what you are saying, so is it?

We already see this sort of thing with the Asus ROG Dominator and Acer Predator Freesync monitors, Neither are actually ROG or Predator, It's online Stores like OCUK that market the monitors with the ROG & Predator branding but if you buy one they're just Asus and Acer monitors.

Caporegime
We already see this sort of thing with the Asus ROG Dominator and Acer Predator Freesync monitors, Neither are actually ROG or Predator, It's online Stores like OCUK that market the monitors with the ROG & Predator branding but if you buy one they're just Asus and Acer monitors.

Yes, as already explained its because this sort of marketing works is why nVidia want to take control of it.

Like 90% of the population you're not a clued up enthusiast regular around here, you're just a naive consumer. you're looking for a Gaming GPU, on the one hand you have "Republic of Gamers" branded GPU, on the other the same card branded "Super Force SRT" which do you buy?

With this nVidia are effectively forcing Asus to make their ROG branding exclusive to them, AMD get left with the Super Force SRT branding that no one wants.

Soldato
Enough companies won't say no as the ones that are Nvidia only ie. EVGA, Zotac and Palit have no reason to not sign up which in turn forces companies like Asus, Msi and Gigabyte to sign up. To me this sounds a little like Blackmail on Nvidia's part.

Or, it could also be that companies like evga that are already exclusive start demanding special treatment and nvidia are actually giving a program that those that are not exclusive can still have access to.

As a manufacturer, if you have customers that are exclusive to you, why wouldn't you be encoueaged to help them.

Soldato
Yes, as already explained its because this sort of marketing works is why nVidia want to take control of it.

Like 90% of the population you're not a clued up enthusiast regular around here, you're just a naive consumer. you're looking for a Gaming GPU, on the one hand you have "Republic of Gamers" branded GPU, on the other the same card branded "Super Force SRT" which do you buy?

With this nVidia are effectively forcing Asus to make their ROG branding exclusive to them, AMD get left with the Super Force SRT branding that no one wants.

Am taking the Super Force SRT every day of the week :D:D:D:D:D. I wonder if they would get away with AMD ROG Republic of Gaymers.

Soldato
Or, it could also be that companies like evga that are already exclusive start demanding special treatment and nvidia are actually giving a program that those that are not exclusive can still have access to.

Demanding anything from Nvidia, you have to be having a laugh surely. Nvidia do the demanding not the other way round.

Caporegime
Did you read Kyles report?

Kyle confirmed Asus and MSI already have, they also told him it was not out of choice, they felt it was made clear to them, on a wink and a nod that they would lose SKU allocation. this is the point i'm making.

If this was such a great thing for everyone why are nVidia refusing to talk about it? why are they sending out emails to reviewers warring them that if they talk about it in any way that's anything other than positive they risk damaging their relationship with them?

Why are these AIB's telling Kyle they feel pressured and wronged by nVidia in this? why take control of vendors branding in the first place, why not work with them to make up their own?

No different to what intel were doing years back, basically play ball with us and act all happy on the outside, or you lose allocation, price cuts, etc etc.

Caporegime
If asus, MSI and Gigabyte didn't sign then Nvidia would likely loose sales. It would also send them a strong messsge.

I expect what the case is is that the AIBs don't particularly like it but not enough to to do much about it because ultimately it is something minor like Asus can't use STRIX and the same box art on both AMD and NV cards

Caporegime
No different to what intel were doing years back, basically play ball with us and act all happy on the outside, or you lose allocation, price cuts, etc etc.

AMD in this are once again completely stuffed, there isn't much they can do about this, but Intel..... oh now that's a big beast to poke and poked they may have been because they are now looking to get in on the GPU space and if they find that they cannot have future GPU's or just their Coffeelake-G SoC's in ROG branded products they may well turn their fury at nVidia, i hope they do, i really hope they do, the only problem is the likes of Asus may get caught in the crossfire and they don't deserve that.

Associate
I had a RX470 and now have a GTX1080FE now - I downloaded the driver and installed it for both cards.

Both worked fine. The same with every single mate of mine,many of who are not computer enthusiasts - they installed their AMD/Nvidia card with no problems. None of them are teenagers!! :p....

Dont want to stretch this discussion.. been lurking around for a specific problem that I have regarding a vega 64 crossfire setup on adrenalin 17.12.2
need help with some tweaks for vega 64 in cfx on win 7 driver 17.12.2...
2 amd processes are running in the background 1) amd external events client module 2) amd external events service module.
if i disable them.. the clocks dont revert to idle state at desktop..

curious to know if these processes affect wattman/chill/frtc settings?

greatly appreciate if someone can reproduce this on a newer driver..

Can you pls check and revert on this?

You can ignore the below wall of text.. more interested in resolving the above :)

Rant starts:
couldnt help but vent my ire at amd.. and am a first time radeon buyer i am listing following problems, tell me it aint true:

1) creation of default game profiles without user permission: why?? just why not use global settings.. why compel folks to check out and tweak the control panel when they could just be gaming

2) erratic response to crashes: if the dx api shuts itself abnormally the driver resets to factory settings... playing dragon age origins was such a chore. the game has well documented problems with memory leakages.. and i only get weekends to play, which i would rather not squander on tweaking graphics card control panels

3) vsync flicker: spent hours checking out the root cause when i could have been gaming instead.. turns out the problem is caused by AMD External Events Utility, switching it off causes another issue

4) driver updates: the last update i did was in december from 17.12.1 to 17.12.2 and then i had problems with the control panel crashing randomly with a generic 00000xxxx error..turns out the right way to update an amd driver is to boot in safe mode run some random DDU utility and then installthe new one...dont remember when was the last time I had to do this with nvidia.. and this was not rush job.. 17.12.1 is WHQL certified for all i care

5) crossfire fiasco: got the cards at launch but had to sit around for a couple of months till they enabled it in drivers. why advertise when you cannot deliver?

6) original sin: the first game i tried on my new pc was the witcher enhanced edition... i dont have time for multiple playthroughs .. so rest assured i was to experience this widely acclaimed game for the first time... guess what the adrenalin driver broke dx9 calls for few games.. this being one of them. i remember i never had to upgrade drivers for my maxwell titan.. more than 2 yrs of use... only updated it before selling it back to my trusty computer seller and that was in December 2017.. and so obviously i am yet to play the game..

i am taking the easy way out with amd: dont waste time on driver updates and tweaks just play games that work and later buy the next gen nvidia card as soon as it launches.

and yes i am a a pc enthusiast, so stop waving consoles at me, its not just going to happen.. i used to build my own pcs when i was a teenager, still remember building my first, 8800 ultra, rig... now i just get it assembled owing to time constraints, but still invest ludicrous amount of time to research ideal components... all i need is a pc that just runs in a predictable manner.. i am okay with lower performance drivers but not the experience breaking ones.

back to playing dragon age 2 for now :)

Back
Top Bottom