• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[H]ardOCP: GeForce Partner Program Impacts Consumer Choice

Soldato
That's a good point, a lot of people are speculating like they know how things would turn out. But a lot of people seemed to think the world would end when GPP kicked in, but that fizzled out before it really got started. Most of this thread was spent complaining and worrying about something that is already dead.

Worries about the program were still valid, even if it ended up dead. If it wasn’t a potential can of worms I doubt it would have been cancelled

Companies must invested money into marketing, design and changes, perhaps they even invested in package samples etc. I wonder if any will be getting any compensation from NV, behind closed doors of course.

Soldato
That's a good point, a lot of people are speculating like they know how things would turn out. But a lot of people seemed to think the world would end when GPP kicked in, but that fizzled out before it really got started. Most of this thread was spent complaining and worrying about something that is already dead.

But GPP didn't die when the thread started, and it didn't just fizzle out. Nvidia stopped it last week because of all the talk on forums and the bad PR it was getting.

Soldato
But GPP didn't die when the thread started, and it didn't just fizzle out. Nvidia stopped it last week because of all the talk on forums and the bad PR it was getting.
Do we know those are the reasons or is it more speculation?
No the thread started WAY before GPP actually started. Before anyone knew that it was definitely going to happen (I don't think anyone had signed up to it back when the thread started had they?). People were panicking before it had even happened. Same as with this Nvidia monopoly thing. It hasn't happened yet and we don't know what would actually happen if Nvidia were to have a monopoly, just speculation. Any chance to get out the "The end is nigh!" signs I guess.

Soldato
It’s an interesting point you make actually mate.

My rig will probably last me 5 years at least, that’s shorter than PS4 to PS4pro isn’t it?

I think newer consoles help pc considerably, there wouldn’t anywhere near be as many titles if it were for them, and the hardware is getting so similar that they’re really just OEM pcs at this point. There are plenty of bad ports, but there’s plenty that don’t get much praise either. I also think we’ll see one more console generation before couch streaming becomes very prevalent. Seeing as it’ll probably be PCs doing the heavy lifting, ports might be infinitely better too.

Programs like GPP are much more harmful to pc gaming than consoles are, imo.

My rigs tend to last way longer.

I never replace a rig, I "upgrade" a rig.

Whilst a new console means an entire new unit.

So I recently went from haswell to CL, but I kept same GPU, PSU, case, storage devices, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, soundcard.

I may change the GPU in the next 2 years, if I do it will be the only component changed.

I can sell components replaced, I cannot do that on my ps3 console because the ps4 cannot play ps3 games.

My PC can play games that are 20 years old, be used for work, multimedia etc., its vastly more cost efficient than a console.

Soldato
Do we know those are the reasons or is it more speculation?
No the thread started WAY before GPP actually started. Before anyone knew that it was definitely going to happen (I don't think anyone had signed up to it back when the thread started had they?). People were panicking before it had even happened. Same as with this Nvidia monopoly thing. It hasn't happened yet and we don't know what would actually happen if Nvidia were to have a monopoly, just speculation. Any chance to get out the "The end is nigh!" signs I guess.

No the thread started after it was reported by Hardocp. It was going ahead. Asus and MSI was already in the process of removing AMD from their gaming brands. And no it's not speculation. Nvidia stopped the program because of all the bad PR it was getting.

About the Nvidia monopoly. This is a forum, people are speculation about what would happen if Nvidia were the only graphics card supplier. Nobody is saying the end is nigh, but, they are saying that a monopoly would be terrible for the consumer.

And you can't really talk with your "we are doomed" when somebody suggested Intel join the graphics card market. how do you know? That's speculation on your part, but hey, any chance for you to get out "the end is nigh!" signs I guess.

Soldato
No the thread started after it was reported by Hardocp. It was going ahead
GPP was actually up and running with partners on board when NV themselves announced GPP on 1st March, Kyle's GPP exposure came a week later on 8th March.

He can't get any more wrong than he usually is on the topic of PPG, but that won't make much difference to the amount of damage control blaming everyone else but the GPP perpetrators.

Soldato

So I recently went from haswell to CL, but I kept same GPU, PSU, case, storage devices, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, soundcard.

I may change the GPU in the next 2 years, if I do it will be the only component changed.

I can sell components replaced, I cannot do that on my ps3 console because the ps4 cannot play ps3 games.

My PC can play games that are 20 years old, be used for work, multimedia etc., its vastly more cost efficient than a console.

Crikey, ok fella. You seem to be arguing with me about something.

I too buy new components for my rig, but after 5ish years generally there’s very little of the original rig remaining. What’s your point?

The trigger reference made me genuinely lol :D

Last edited:
Soldato
GPP was actually up and running with partners on board when NV themselves announced GPP on 1st March, Kyle's GPP exposure came a week later on 8th March.

He can't get any more wrong than he usually is on the topic of PPG, but that won't make much difference to the amount of damage control blaming everyone else but the GPP perpetrators.

How does that change what I have said that this thread only started after the Hardocp report?

And I don't think Googaly is doing any damage control.

Soldato

"rig"

:(

Soldato
How does that change what I have said that this thread only started after the Hardocp report?

And I don't think Googaly is doing any damage control.

I was enforcing your point discussed whether the program had started before the thread arrived.

Across this thread and the other thread, he/she doesn't have much of an opinion on the perpetrators, yet very adament in pushing things like:

nothing was lost to the consumer-specific gpus were removed from sale then reversed to back on sale

suggesting punishing the aibs, nothing about NV

often asks for proof/source when the whole situation literraly blew up in Nv's face resulting in cancellation of the program

asking daft questions like 'but can't they still sell AMD?'

But if you don't think he/she's acting that way then fair enough.:)

Soldato
Ok fella. You sound pretty hyped up about it. I have got real problems so I suppose stuff like that doesn’t get to me as much. Whatever floats your boat.

I use rig regularly, it’s because I’m trying hard :D
You got all that from 6 words? I think it's time you change careers.

Back
Top Bottom