Half Life 2 RTX

Not sure how HL2 can be classed as mediocre, it pushed technologies further across the board. And the comparison to Deus Ex is bizarre.

Interestingly this video only shows a single room - presumably take them another 2 years to build the rest of the game? :p

Not sure how HL2 can be classed as mediocre, it pushed technologies further across the board. And the comparison to Deus Ex is bizarre.

Interestingly this video only shows a single room - presumably take them another 2 years to build the rest of the game? :p

Still remember the opening sequence, surely one of the best in gaming history.

I was watching an old tech demo at E3 of Half Life 2 and source engine. It looked very basic by today's standards of course but the physics and effects must've been mind blowing when you think of the quality of other games around that time.

Better than the physics in all of todays games combined!
This, I don't understand how nobody complains about the lack of physics in today's games. Hl2 then crysis were the pinnacle, now AAA games look amazing but don't have any physics at all.

I still marvel at the physics in crysis, they even dumbed them down in the remaster, thats how bad its got. Its Coming on a 16 year old game.

Last edited:
This, I don't understand how nobody complains about the lack of physics in today's games. Hl2 then crysis were the pinnacle, now AAA games look amazing but don't have any physics at all.

I still marvel at the physics in crysis, they even dumbed them down in the remaster, thats how bad its got. Its Coming on a 16 year old game.

Physics like that isn't something developers can easily control - results in a lot of time spent in testing, etc. and the potential for unexpected outcomes and hence bugs, etc. meaning producers/project managers don't like it :(

I remember the Cell Factor tech demo and hoping we'd start to see some of that used in a meaningful way in games...

I was watching an old tech demo at E3 of Half Life 2 and source engine. It looked very basic by today's standards of course but the physics and effects must've been mind blowing when you think of the quality of other games around that time.

It was the gameplay and especially the storytelling it was just awesome. Everyones just obessed with looks these days (Cyberpunk, anyone?)

Better than the physics in all of todays games combined!
Better than bethesda games thats for sure! And followers (Alyx) actually moves out of your way if you backtrack and they block a doorway! She even apologises FFS! Bethesda: get out of my way you damn fool! :p

Last edited:
While it was a decent enough game to play through I wasn't entirely gone on HL2 - the tone shift wasn't really for me. The lighting was also already starting to look dated by the time it came out though the model detail itself was a fair improvement on most stuff at the time and the physics were a nice addition - I watched a video recently of some random person trying their best to get a luggage trolley from the start of the game all the way to the end and nearly succeeded only failing very near the end.

Loved HL2, the playful physics at the time were groundbreaking. I've tried to set my son off playing HL2 and it didn't really click with him, I think i'll attempt to have him give it another go some time.

Loved HL2, the playful physics at the time were groundbreaking. I've tried to set my son off playing HL2 and it didn't really click with him, I think i'll attempt to have him give it another go some time.
They’re groundbreaking now!

Physics in games went downhill after HL2. Crysis original had quite good physics but the whole thing around games with physics, Physx cards and physics processors vanished overnight.

I personally think people just took to ‘RTX’ more so physics was completely ignored.

Id rather have much better (any) physics in games than ray tracing - ray tracing / RTX was just marketed a lot better and sold vast numbers of GPUs.

Guess that could have taken off with Physx / ‘PHX’ instead, but it didnt.

It would have been interesting if it did as we might see games with fully destroyable environments with some really interesting game physics like buildings collapsing and changing play styles from the standard sweaty run and gun to ‘can we shoot this down or blow this up to trap them in this burning building’

Nope, instead we have some pretty cool looking lighting in some games!

Last edited:
I'll get more excited when it actually gets anywhere near a release - hopefully being backed by nVidia means this 'community remaster' being developed by a big team of modders will actually get finished and release in a sensible fashion.

Had a little blast on hl2 not so long ago and still have it installed on my pc with the mmod... never did complete it on pc but did find it a great game that still, imo, holds up today.

Did complete half life but on console and that was also a cracking game, maybe i will complete hl2 one day as it is more than worthy of me to do so :)

Back
Top Bottom