Half Life 2 RTX

black mesa is a really well polished remake of half life, there's no doubt you will not be disappointed.

crazy to think you loved half life and knew of black mesa but did not realise it has had it's full release on steam, which was years and years ago now!

it's worth £15, but you'll most likely be able to get it at £4 at the next Steam sale although I don't know when that will be.

I'll play this when it's out. Which judging by the fact that it's only 1 intro room will be a while.

My first thought was "what about the desk magnifying glass?!" and I wasn't disappointed :)

Actually they have gone back and updated the assets too, like better looking PC and printer! I thought the RTX tools were that it turns old stuff into RTX stuff, but if they're also updating the assets this is a lot more work/time.

I thought it still looked pretty good without RTX :D
Some scenes made me think the same thing! I guess because it's a community based project it won't drastically change certain details (I was looking at the wall textures where I couldn't tell if it was RTX ON or not), still a nice touch to bring a great game up to some of today's tech available.

I'll play this when it's out. Which judging by the fact that it's only 1 intro room will be a while.

My first thought was "what about the desk magnifying glass?!" and I wasn't disappointed :)

Actually they have gone back and updated the assets too, like better looking PC and printer! I thought the RTX tools were that it turns old stuff into RTX stuff, but if they're also updating the assets this is a lot more work/time.

Remix allows you to identify any texture or model in the game and overload with your own - but unless you know the engine and/or game design process well there can be a lot of issues such as features implemented in a non-obvious way.

HL2 was an AMD launch title, I got it free with my Hercules 9800 Pro.

Should be fine. :D
snap... I got a copy with that card too. don't think I played it till I had got another GPU however.

I wonder if it will be possible to inject the RTX code into the VR remake ?

Last edited:
Thanks, I remember being able to dl sections from the Black Mesa site at the time but it was only half finished.
If that's finished I will give it a go at that price.
Loved the HL series, still got the original hard copies in my garage somewhere :)
Finally got round to starting it, some bits look awesome, considering how old it is/was in the making of remake wise. Loving it!

Recently bought a Steam Deck and picked this up in the sale. Plays really well on it to be fair - a lot of game for £2.99!
Good to know, I remember playing all the Half-Life games many times over back in the day. To have this one on steam deck updated all for £2.99. I'll be picking this up later!

Some new tidbits:

pzmAR8C.jpg

Two months ago, NVIDIA unveiled Half-Life 2 RTX, a modding project developed by the newly created Orbifold Studios with RTX Remix. Orbifold Studios was created by bringing together the teams behind some of the most popular mods, like Half-Life 2: VR, Half-Life 2: Remade Assets, Project 17, and Raising the Bar: Redux.

Yesterday, we finally had the chance to hear directly from the makers of Half-Life 2 RTX, thanks to a video interview hosted by YouTube's Lambda Generation. Kralich (David), who previously worked on Raising the Bar: Redux and the Portal: Prelude RTX project, revealed how many more polygons key models like Lamar the headcrab and Gordon's HEV suit have in the remaster.

Related Story Half-Life 2 RTX Is in Development by a Group of Modders, Will Support Ray Tracing, DLSS 3, RTX IO

Lamarr, the debeaked and completely harmless headcrab, has 49,668 polygons in Half-Life 2 RTX, compared to the original game where it had 1690 polygons. That's about 30 times more detail. The added fidelity is really used to give Lamarr physical sculpting where it was implied with textures or normal maps on the original model, all those little fat folds and weird little shapes that construct a head crab, the almost turkey-looking thing. But that's our approach really to improving a lot of the other game's models. Another really big one in the trailer was of course the HEV suit, which is 95,000 polygons, an increase of about 4,000% compared to the original's 2800 polygons. These are very detailed and efficient models rendered through RTX Remix, which is very good at handling this kind of high-poly things. It's not very difficult to put stuff like this into the game.

• Valve gave its blessing for Half-Life 2 RTX and is being kept in the loop, even though it has no role in its development;
  • NVIDIA is helping with engineering support (they have added Parallax Occlusion Mapping to RTX Remix after Orbifold asked them) and art creation support by mentoring Orbifold on the PBR/path traced workflow;
  • Assets remade by Valve for Half-Life: Alyx will be reused whenever possible;
  • Textures are being remade by hand;
  • The resolution of world materials textures will be upped to 4K, while other textures will be 2K;
  • Some animations will be redone as well;
  • Most vanilla mods should work with Half-Life 2 RTX;
  • The team would love to remake the two Episodes, though those would be separate projects to be handled after this one is completed;
  • Orbifold is experimenting with implementing a player character model for reflections and shadows (Gordon doesn't really have one in the vanilla game), but they still haven't figured out a great way to do it;
  • As much new content as possible will be backported to the original engine so that it is compatible with the Half-Life 2 VR mod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom