Hallelujah | F1 2022

Associate
OP
Just seen this fix to get the game working for CV1 owners:

Soldato
^ Yep, that's what I have also found. That said, the game still looks dreadful. It's far far too soft.

Going back and forth between F1 22 and iRacing is just night and day difference. It's like I have bought a higher resolution headset. I can't understand why it's so soft.

Soldato
So turns out there is a 10 hour trial I have access to due to EA Play being part of game pass :)

Quick VR test and I am not sold on DLSS - Get decent 90 fps at VR Ultra High with DLSS Quality and steam set at 100% with the Index but it does not look very clean. Acceptable just about but the DLSS perf mode looks quite bad imo

VR Ultra Low still looks pretty good though meaning can run higher resolution in steam. Here's a monaco bench at 150% steam resolution on VR medium and TAA (DLSS off)
IvT7JW0.jpg

On VR ultra low mins were 89 also so perhaps could have even run headset at 120Hz instead though may need to lower steam res a bit :)

Soldato
Might be easier to go into the games VR settings to change the super sampling rather than in steam
The override steam option scaling doesn't seem to have any effect for me, even restarting the game after.

Can disable TAA in the config file in My Games folder which some may prefer. It does add some shimmering/pixel crawl which can be countered somewhat by upping the supersampling. Personally I think it looks best with TAA+FX fidelity sharpening option, VR low and 170%+ steam resolution for the Index.

I haz 4090!
Don
Well, all blurriness aside (although it's been a while since I've played a racing game in VR so I didn't notice to be honest), this game is bloody fab in VR. I'd forgotten how amazing racing games are in VR when you've got a wheel and pedals too. I don't know the tracks well enough to race on them so I'm going to take my time and learn one track at a time starting with Bahrain. Once I've learned the track from the time trial I'll hop into career and do a race weekend. If I aim for one a month that should be doable. Excited :D

Associate
If you haven't seen it already and you are able to plug your pedals into your wheel base and disconnect all other peripherals from your PC. Seen several reports, especially with those running Fanatec gear, that this can dramatically improve performance.

Edit: More good info here, seems turning ambient occlusion off may help too.
Yeah can confirm this issue l, was pulling my hair out trying to understand why I could never get more than 83 fps (non VR)
As soon as I unplug my fanatec v3 pedals the fps shoots up,
I have a g27 so unable to plug into wheel base, so I await a fix,
Can't confirm for vr mode as not tested

Soldato
I've gone back to iRacing. Even though I love being in the F1 world, the soft graphics and controller disconnects are just not good enough.

iRacing is far far superior >"imho"<

Soldato
Well i absolutely wasn't paying £50, given the reception, and knowing the track record of the guys that did the port. Codemasters to their credit did fix the abortion that was DR 2.0 on release. Given though the schedule of F1's yearly releases, and EA now controlling the purse strings, that might not be the outcome.

I saw the more palatable £30 though and became interested. Is it that bad, or are people just frothing about it because it's not as golden as AMS2 or their racer of choice.

The historical record says the next discount will be around £17 in two or three months.

Soldato
Well i absolutely wasn't paying £50, given the reception, and knowing the track record of the guys that did the port. Codemasters to their credit did fix the abortion that was DR 2.0 on release. Given though the schedule of F1's yearly releases, and EA now controlling the purse strings, that might not be the outcome.

I saw the more palatable £30 though and became interested. Is it that bad, or are people just frothing about it because it's not as golden as AMS2 or their racer of choice.

The historical record says the next discount will be around £17 in two or three months.

If you keep with F1 for a good amount of time (and don't go back to something else) you do get used to it. It's an enjoyable game. The AI is a bit all over the place, but it's entertaining.

Soldato
Took a punt.

Opinion was all over the place, absolutely impossible to judge without trying it for ones self. Approaching 1300hrs in VR with ACC, so i have an understanding of what people mean when they say, unplayable in VR.

Soldato
Gave the game a quick run out last night. Performance seemed to be ok, no matter what options i span up or dialled down it held something 80/90. Graphically though a bit of a shocker, it looks like DLSS has been applied times two. There's the glassed window effect in the close cockpit, and mr softy going on with the outer visuals. My ACC looks better, much better with more sharply defined track and vehicle detail, with colours that have a decent level of richness.

I'm guessing there's some limitations with the EGO engine, but even so, F1 ranks somewhere near (if not) the bottom of the VR driving game pile. I'll keep hold of it because i was having fun hot lapping (well trying to stay within track limits), and there's what appears to be a strong single player element.

Soldato
Gave the game a quick run out last night. Performance seemed to be ok, no matter what options i span up or dialled down it held something 80/90. Graphically though a bit of a shocker, it looks like DLSS has been applied times two. There's the glassed window effect in the close cockpit, and mr softy going on with the outer visuals. My ACC looks better, much better with more sharply defined track and vehicle detail, with colours that have a decent level of richness.

I'm guessing there's some limitations with the EGO engine, but even so, F1 ranks somewhere near (if not) the bottom of the VR driving game pile. I'll keep hold of it because i was having fun hot lapping (well trying to stay within track limits), and there's what appears to be a strong single player element.

Yep, reported many times to EA as has everyone on the EA forums and reddit. It is DLSS. I've modded the ini files and can remove the softness completely albeit with shimmering due to lack of DLSS.

F1 22 when it's sharp looks phenominal, but can't be enjoyed like that. They need to patch it, but probably won't.

Associate
OP
For anyone who hasn't seen this is free to play this weekend. Just as well as if I'd purchased to try it out I wouldn't have got very far within the Steam 2hr refund window!

It took an inordinate amount of time to first sign in, been a while since I've used my EA account and trying to do this in Steam VR mode where I couldn't use my physical keyboard was a mistake. Then secondly, get my controls setup. Honestly why Codemasters always make this so difficult I've no idea and they are still not where I'd want them. For some reason wanting to remap the confirm and back menu buttons on my wheel is considered an original sin and outlawed :mad: The default buttons they have mapped (2 + 3) requires moving my right hand away from its natural 3 o'clock position to confirm anything. Why an earth didn't they map too two buttons within easy reach :rolleyes:

Putting the aggravation of getting up and running to one side, including all the friction on navigating menus and getting spammed with prompts for DLC or interruptions while you 'level up', the actual VR experience is OK. I'm running the VR High pre-set, TAA only anti-aliasing and 150% super sampling. The overall visual clarity is similar to ACC, unfortunately not as good as AMS2, and I have no trouble reading all the info on the in car steering wheel display. I've just been hot lapping so far but have run the benchmark mode at Singapore in the wet and was locked to 90 FPS. The head tracking seems OK, none of the problems I've seen lots of other people complain about, maybe it has an ever so slight delay. The force feedback is unremarkable but once dialled in sufficiently good enough to let me know what is going on. Audio, no complaints.

Will have to try out some races and take a look at the career mode to see if I want to purchase, currently on sale at £25.

Back
Top Bottom