Hanns-G HW191D Thread (Now £107.95 @ OcUK)

Soldato
OP
maxl said:
Hi :)

I am interested in purchasing one of these monitors however I am a bit concerned about the number of people who are complaining about dead/lazy pixels.

Is it possible to return this model should it arrive with or develop one or more dead/lazy pixels?

I already have the Hanns-G 19" HC194D monitor which is great. It does however have one lazy pixel at the top of the screen which rears its ugly head every so often, however it doesn't take me long to "massage" it back to a working pixel again.

Thanks!
You can send them back under distance selling for any reason, but that has to be in original condition, within 7 days of purchase and you pay the postage back.
I bought 2 and one has a stuck red pixel and i decided not to send it back.

If you want one with a zero dead pixel warranty you'll have to pay double what you pay for this, and the way i see it you could get one of these and send it back under distance selling and get another and do that several times until you got one that was perfect and it would still be cheaper than getting a more expensive one with a zero dead pixel waranty.

Welcome to the forums by the way. I hope you'll take a moment to join the fold. ;)

Associate
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these which I would only be using for gaming. I have a very cheap entry level Iiyama 19"crt (not even flat tube - loads of distortion) which looks poor when compared to my Samsung LCD HDTV connected to a 360.

Would this Hanns be a good match for my current setup (see sig) eventhough I would have to game at lower resolutions than I am now which is not too much of an issue as I can always up AA and AF to compensate. It all depends on how good it looks at the native resolution.

I am a bit wary of going for a larger/higher resolution LCD as I do not plan on upgrading my PC for the next year which would force me to play newer games at lower resolutions. Talking about resolutions, how does this display and others cope with lower non native resolutions. I never owned a LCD monitor partly due to what I have heard of this being an LCD issue - CRT's have had the advantage in this respect or have things changed.

Soldato
OP
saguy said:
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these which I would only be using for gaming. I have a very cheap entry level Iiyama 19"crt (not even flat tube - loads of distortion) which looks poor when compared to my Samsung LCD HDTV connected to a 360.

Would this Hanns be a good match for my current setup (see sig) eventhough I would have to game at lower resolutions than I am now which is not too much of an issue as I can always up AA and AF to compensate. It all depends on how good it looks at the native resolution.

I am a bit wary of going for a larger/higher resolution LCD as I do not plan on upgrading my PC for the next year which would force me to play newer games at lower resolutions. Talking about resolutions, how does this display and others cope with lower non native resolutions. I never owned a LCD monitor partly due to what I have heard of this being an LCD issue - CRT's have had the advantage in this respect or have things changed.
I run mine from a 6800gt and i was supprised to find that it runs all my games at full settings at 1440x900 fine. bf2 and cod2 run perfectly.
Non native reslutions are not a good idea, i find running bf2 at 1280x1024 is ok but i wouldn't use it if i didn't have to (no widescreen in bf2).
I don't see why you would need to run it at something other than the native res, your graphics card is more than adequate for 14400x900...

Associate
Joe42 said:
I run mine from a 6800gt and i was supprised to find that it runs all my games at full settings at 1440x900 fine. bf2 and cod2 run perfectly.
Non native reslutions are not a good idea, i find running bf2 at 1280x1024 is ok but i wouldn't use it if i didn't have to (no widescreen in bf2).
I don't see why you would need to run it at something other than the native res, your graphics card is more than adequate for 14400x900...

As of now my setup is more than adequate to run games at higher resolutions than 1440x900 (1600x1200 is what I am mostly using now) but with future titles such as Crysis and Alan Wake I may not be be able to run them at 14400 x 900 with all in game settings at max. It would be nice to have the ability to run at lower resolutions as it allows for scalability.

How does gaming on your LCD compare say to what I have now - a cheap 19" CRT. It may seem like a stupid question but I have never seen a PC game run on a LCD as none of my friends game (I am of the older generation) All that I know is that I love the way 360 games look on my 32" LCD HDTV even though they are running at a lower resolution than my PC CRT - may have answered my own question. I am just worried about getting a new monitor only to discover that it's a downgrade

Associate
NuKeM said:
I got mine today and it had 1 dead pixel. Then now the whole screen has gone white. :(

Is this because of a faulty screen or my gfx card is not able to handle it ? I've got a 6600GT btw.

Soldato
OP
I moved from a 17" crt and a cheapo lcd to two of these and they are far far better. Response time isn't an issue, colours are great etc.

You can run games at lower resolutions ok, like i said bf2 runs at 1280x1024 and looks fine, however running at a lower res does look bad on the desktop and when viewing text.
If you can't run at full settings at 1440x900 then it will probably be ok at a lower res. You would have to experiment and see if it looks better at native res with lower detail or at a lower res with high detail. Either way i don't think you should let that put you off.

NuKeM said:
Is this because of a faulty screen or my gfx card is not able to handle it ? I've got a 6600GT btw.
The dead pixel is due to a faulty screen. What do you mean its gone white?
Thats not something i would expect to happen because the graphics card isn't powerful enough, it could be a faulty card, faulty screen or something else but not a performance issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Joe42 said:
I moved from a 17" crt and a cheapo lcd to two of these and thay are far far better. Resposne time isn't an issue, colours are great etc.

You can run games at lower resolutions ok, like i said bf2 runs at 1280x1024 and looks fine, however running at a lower res does look bad on the desktop and when viewing text.
If you can't run at full settings at 1440x900 then it will probably be ok at a lower res. You would have to experiment and see if it looks better at native res with lower detail or at a lower res with high detail. Eitjher way I don't think you should let that put you off.

I suppose at the price I can't go wrong and when I do upgrade my PC again for DX10 I can always get a 22" LCD as the 19" will be perfect for my second PC. At the moment I have 2 CRT's on my desk so replacing them both with LCD's would be a bonus.

Soldato
OP
saguy said:
I suppose at the price I can't go wrong and when I do upgrade my PC again for DX10 I can always get a 22" LCD as the 19" will be perfect for my second PC. At the moment I have 2 CRT's on my desk so replacing them both with LCD's would be a bonus.
Exactly. For the price you simply can't go wrong. I'm really pleased with mine, even though i got one stuck pixel.
And because they are such good value i can upgrade them in a year or two without worrying about wasting too much money.
And i can definitely recommend getting two :p

Associate
Joe42 said:
I moved from a 17" crt and a cheapo lcd to two of these and they are far far better. Response time isn't an issue, colours are great etc.

If you can't run at full settings at 1440x900 then it will probably be ok at a lower res. You would have to experiment and see if it looks better at native res with lower detail or at a lower res with high detail. Either way i don't think you should let that put you off.

The dead pixel is due to a faulty screen. What do you mean its gone white?
Thats not something i would expect to happen because the graphics card isn't powerful enough, it could be a faulty card, faulty screen or something else but not a performance issue.

When I turn on the monitor it's all just gone white.Won't even show the "power save mode/no output detected" message anymore. Tried another monitor on my PC and it was ok, so it must be a faulty hannsg then. :(

Soldato
OP
NuKeM said:
When I turn on the monitor it's all just gone white.Won't even show the "power save mode/no output detected" message anymore. Tried another monitor on my PC and it was ok, so it must be a faulty hannsg then. :(
Yep, must be a faulty one. It happens, can't expect them to be perfect. Rma it and you'll have a new one in no time. :)

Associate
Got one of these monitors today (hanns-g 191 WS). Add mine to the list of those with no dead pixels :cool: 2 other people I know got one of these in the last month and a half and neither of them had a dead or stuck pixel either.

I'm using it on VGA at the moment and I must say its 3 gazillion times better already than my 17" CRT. I need to find a cheap DVI-D cable and I'm sorted :)

I need to re-find a program to set my contrast and brightness optimally... my eyes are burning from the incredible brightness of this monitor - one of the reasons I got this was cos my old panasonic 17" CRT seemed to be dying and dulling, just generally getting very dark.

Also it would be good to know what other people used to test for dead or stuck pixels... the piece of software I downloaded was 'orrible :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
How do these monitors compare with CRT's when it comes to handling dark environments as most games have very dark levels. - is there more or less contrast. I suspect that my cheapo CRT is not very good at this.

Soldato
saguy said:
How do these monitors compare with CRT's when it comes to handling dark environments as most games have very dark levels. - is there more or less contrast. I suspect that my cheapo CRT is not very good at this.

I think TFTs have reached a level where as long as you're not too uber fussy, they're fine for games etc.

The only real issue is if you have to run an a lower than native resolution, the image quality drops slightly. Personally I have not found this too painful.

Moving to a 19" widescreen monitor worked well for me...

Associate
How is this monitor for back-light bleeding?

I am looking for a new monitor and am stuck between the Belinea 1925S1W, Asus VW192S and this the Hanns-G HW191D.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Flinty said:
How is this monitor for back-light bleeding?

I am looking for a new monitor and am stuck between the Belinea 1925S1W, Asus VW192S and this the Hanns-G HW191D.

Mines quite noticeable when watching dark films at top and bottom :(

Soldato
Got this monitor (widescreen) today - not from OcUK I'm afraid :(. I was just in the middle of writing this post, and I was going to say there was one dead pixel and a few stuck which I removed by rubbing. However I just tried rubbing this one again and it moved. So I gave it another rub and it fell off - so I'm thinking it was actually just something that had got stuck to the monitor. :D

Other than that there is some minor backlight bleeding which is mostly unnoticeable when sitting square on to the monitor.

Overall impression is good. Specially now that pixel is gone. Shame it doesn't come with a dvi cable as I now have two dvi monitors, one dvi cable and a gfx card with two dvi outputs. I may have a hunt for a converter... not that there's any room on this particular desk for two monitors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom