Hard drive 'clicking'

Soldato
Soldato
Hi guys

I have just purchased a new (used) hard drive with less than 20 hours on it.
It seems to be working fine, however the 'clicking' it emits is quite loud. It is noticeable outside the case.

Is this something I should be worried about? It only clicks every few seconds or so, I guess when it is writing to the hard drive?

Thanks

Soldato
Healthy hard drives don't click.

Its the seek arm flicking about that you are hearing.

The drive is faulty regardless of what software says.

It could last ages and work fine but trust it with no data that isn't backed up....true of any hard drive of course.

I have a few faulty ones I use myself for storing films only... sometimes just have to switch them off for a wee break then they run again fine for a while.

Try testing with the manufacturer's software...Seagate/wd drive test software seatools is good at finding problems on drives I found but only runs on their drives.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Healthy hard drives don't click.

Its the seek arm flicking about that you are hearing.

The drive is faulty regardless of what software says.

It could last ages and work fine but trust it with no data that isn't backed up....true of any hard drive of course.

I have a few faulty ones I use myself for storing films only... sometimes just have to switch them off for a wee break then they run again fine for a while.

Try testing with the manufacturer's software...Seagate/wd drive test software seatools is good at finding problems on drives I found but only runs on their drives.

My gut always told me this ! thanks for confirming this, either way for ts I too would recommend backup asap or don't use it for critical stuff.

Soldato
If its a WD drive, the new WD drives do click every 4-5 secs.... I returned a new WD drive back a year ago because it was clicking and then only a few months a go I found out that WD drives do click.... How annoying:(

Soldato

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I bought a WD 10tb red a few months ago and that also clicks every 4-5 seconds. I am getting a WD 4tb gold for my birthday in a week and I am expecting that to click also.

Take a look here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/is-it-normal-for-the-new-wd-drives-to-click.18870815/

thanks that is good info, like boom mentioned on that thread I also have a few 8 and 6TB reds from 2015/16 and these did not click but never knew the later models clicked.

Still sounds baffling why a hdd manufacturer would create a product that sounds or appears just like one of the main faults of hard drives, I may skip the newer WD hdds if they do indeed click, will need to check into this.

Soldato
it'll be dying, I've had two go like that and currently got one of my 4tb doing same, back up if it's important ASAP, as it WILL go without a doubt. No HDD's should start clicking!!!
thanks that is good info, like boom mentioned on that thread I also have a few 8 and 6TB reds from 2015/16 and these did not click but never knew the later models clicked.

Still sounds baffling why a hdd manufacturer would create a product that sounds or appears just like one of the main faults of hard drives, I may skip the newer WD hdds if they do indeed click, will need to check into this.

I have got use to the clicking on my 10tb red drive now and it stops clicking after the drive hasn't been accessed for a few minutes... But the clicking on the WD drives is some sort of protection thing to prevent them wearing out fast, or something like that..

Im gutted that I returned my 4tb gold drive back because of the clicking as I thought it was faulty, but Im getting another for my birthday but its costing £30 more.. :mad::mad: gutted

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I have got use to the clicking on my 10tb red drive now and it stops clicking after the drive hasn't been accessed for a few minutes... But the clicking on the WD drives is some sort of protection thing to prevent them wearing out fast, or something like that..

Im gutted that I returned my 4tb gold drive back because of the clicking as I thought it was faulty, but Im getting another for my birthday but its costing £30 more.. :mad::mad: gutted

Checked wd store but see those golds are out of stock, otherwise you could have signed up that student/pensioner 15% offer going around atm.

That gold looks nice and the correct warranty of 5 years but its £164 while the 4tb red £99, I think during the lock down the worlds increased the prices to cash in or recover $$$ sadly.

Are these gold drives much better than reds in terms of reliability ?

Soldato
Checked wd store but see those golds are out of stock, otherwise you could have signed up that student/pensioner 15% offer going around atm.

That gold looks nice and the correct warranty of 5 years but its £164 while the 4tb red £99, I think during the lock down the worlds increased the prices to cash in or recover $$$ sadly.

Are these gold drives much better than reds in terms of reliability ?
I would have gone for a gold for my 10tb drive but I wanted a 5600rpm drive because I am only using it to stream my media throughout the house on devices, so I wanted a drive that was reliable but used as little power as possible.

The gold drive will be a replacement for my very old black 640gb. I would have bought a 4tb black, but thats like about another £60-70 more. I cannot find much info about the speed between the 2, but I dont think there's much of a difference, but I could be wrong?

I have no idea if the golds are more or less reliable then the reds, but both are for 24/7 use.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I would have gone for a gold for my 10tb drive but I wanted a 5600rpm drive because I am only using it to stream my media throughout the house on devices, so I wanted a drive that was reliable but used as little power as possible.

The gold drive will be a replacement for my very old black 640gb. I would have bought a 4tb black, but thats like about another £60-70 more. I cannot find much info about the speed between the 2, but I dont think there's much of a difference, but I could be wrong?

I have no idea if the golds are more or less reliable then the reds, but both are for 24/7 use.

Yeah the reds are around 5400rpm and golds 7200rpm, roughly 60-70meg extra speeds.

The reds are still nice but id guess hard drives are still hard drives its not if its going to fail but when...... might just go down the shucking route to save £££

R3X

R3X

Soldato
What am I on about 5600rpm dohhhh, the red non pro's are 5400rpm. The red non pro's are the replacements for the greens I think.

Kinda reminds me of the good ole WD greens, those used to be funky and some worked for many years and others died in months !

Back
Top Bottom