• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HardOCP delid 7700K with OCUK tool

Soldato
Kyle is a bit of a whatsit. Who knows what he's doing to establish any of that.

The temp reduction alone makes it worth while, though. (As suggested above ^)

Last edited:
Associate
of course clock speeds are not going to magically increase.
the temp reduction means there is more headroom to increase vcore to get extra clockspeed.

Soldato
of course clock speeds are not going to magically increase.
the temp reduction means there is more headroom to increase vcore to get extra clockspeed.

lol, precisely. It looks like he only tried at the same voltage.

Although reducing the temps can help negate vcore required, it's mega slapdash to bother writing a piece like that and not even adjust voltage.

Soldato
I agree with the comments here. My 6700k is at 4.7, I could definitely add at least .05v more, but the temps prevent me from doing so. That's why delidding would be attractive to me and many others. He seems to have missed the whole point of delidding.

Soldato
Doesn't even get the name right the first go 'Overclock UK' :)

And yes, somehow managed to take the subject of a pretty technical and risky mod for most hands and make it sound stupid whilst missing the point entirely.

Associate
My experience of deliding would pretty much align with his really, yes you get the temps down so you can get that OC that was throttling but rarely get more I've put some silly volts through my chips (Ivy) but getting 5GHz stable seemed nigh on impossible, I got the following after delidding 4.8 (i5)/4.9(i7) great but for the volts required over 4.6/4.7 on same chip, it wasn't really worth it, the i5 was the worst in that it could throttle on air at 4.3 stock volts, so its TIM was pants but even so a couple of hundred Mhz doesn't make a lot of difference when gaming, perhaps I am just getting too old :D

Soldato
I'd be happy with the same clock and just a cooler system! :D

your system won't be cooler. the heat generated from the CPU is more efficiently taken away from the source and dumped into the case/cooling system.

Think about it. more volts and more current = more energy; laws of entropy, all energy turns into heat...so more energy more heat. a system can't be cooler if you are throwing more energy into it.

If you are not using AIO water cooling then chances are your case is getting hotter as opposed to cooler as more heat from the CPU is being sucked up by the heatsink and being diverted to the air circulating inside the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
your system won't be cooler. the heat generated from the CPU is more efficiently taken away from the source and dumped into the case/cooling system.

Think about it. more volts and more current = more energy; laws of entropy, all energy turns into heat...so more energy more heat. a system can't be cooler if you are throwing more energy into it.

If you are not using AIO water cooling then chances are your case is getting hotter as opposed to cooler as more heat from the CPU is being sucked up by the heatsink and being diverted to the air circulating inside the case.

Yep but you are assuming that the AIO isn't being used. In which case the person stating just want a cooler system is indeed correct.

Back
Top Bottom