• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has Anyone Moved From Nvidia To Amd And Not Regretted It

Associate
I have been on Nvidia since well basically since they come out, but noticing the 7900xt and 7900xtx getting great reviews.
So fancy a change as either of them cards are great by looking at the reviews so was wondering if anyone has made the change
and if so was it worth it or did you change back thanks.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have, there's a lot of guff spoken about AMD drivers but you'll find most people here running them just fine. They'll be along at some point to confirm I'm correct on that.

Remember, the people who pop in the card, load the drivers and have a hassle free experience are not the ones you'll find on Internet forums. The ones who have an issue stand out, because they're in the vast minority and present on forums.
Yeah true as I have watched that many videos lately and found that a lot of people have trouble with Nvidia drivers aswell.....I actually used Nvcleaninstall to install my Nvidia drivers to sto pa lot of bloatware so both sets of drivers have problems.

I moved from a 1080ti to a Vega 64. Not that the 1080ti wasn't awesome cause it was, last proper priced GPU nvidia has ever made. That was done cause of nvidia BS and I'm a fan of actually voting with my wallet. Didn't regret that even though I traded down in performance. Moved on to a 5700 I got cheap and resold for good profits after getting a rtx 3070 as payment for a job(back when prices were stupid). Absolutely hated the RTX 3070, both the driver package and the 8 gig framebuffer. Sold that for a profit and bought an RX 6700 XT second hand and has been happy with AMD ever since. Upgraded to a 6950XT red devil about a year or so ago(a little fussy on the details) when the price was about the same as for a basic 7800XT. Never regretted that either. Gaming on both windows and linux has been very easy and straight forward and with some quick and easy tinkering the power consumption has been brought to reasonable levels without much loss of performance. Of course you can find someone who would claim to have had the opposite experience. Make of it what you will :) it's all subjective feelings anyway.
See I have a 3070ti been a great card for me but have a few pennies to either by a new phone or a GPU and I am to sick of Nvidia BS and over charging for their products for not a lot of performance unless you buy the top end.
I always loose out when I sell to buy no profit here for me lol.

If you think it fits the bill and you're worried about making the leap, don't. I'm on a 7900xtx after being on nvidia for a number of years and I've been very happy with it. With AMD dropping out of high end next gen I'll probably be back to lining Jensen's pockets again but currently no regrets at all.
Oh well that isn't gonna be good as Jensen will charge even more I am expecting to get about 3 years from my next buy and thanks for the positivity on AMD.

Both NVidia and AMD will have driver issues. At the end of the day, there are thousands of different hardware combinations, someone at some point is going to have an issue.

But the vast majority won't. Get yourself a 7900XT or XTX, they're great performing cards and a better price to performance deal than NVidia. I'm kinda locked into NVidia because this great monitor keeps on working, has a G Sync module but not sure if it supports Freesync so have to stick to NVidia for now.

If I wasn't in that situation, I'd be looking at the very same cards you are because they're top performing cards and a lot of oomph for what you pay for them.
My monitor is fine but really wanna get a oled one after Christmas so that will be my next buy :D

As long as you remove all the old drivers properly it should be fine. Maybe even do a clean install of windows.

You will always find people who have had a problem somewhere along the lines. As others have said, if I the card fits the bill then go for it.

I've a 6800xt and been fine for a year and half with regular driver updates.
Yeah probably use DDU to remove the drivers I have found that to be reliable.

Personal experience over many years and many cards Nvidia are generally less problematic and tend to just work out of the box, but AMD tend to offer better price / performance in rasterization and tend to be stable once you've got them dialled in properly. My last card was a 1070 and my current card is a 6800XT just to demonstrate I'm not a fanboy.
Thanks ...so when you say dialled in do you mean getting fan speeds correct and voltages ie undervolting ?

That sort of thing, using several tools to ensure all the old drivers are removed or or better still reinstalling windows. Stock fan curves tend to be aggressive to ensure stability so then it's looking at undervolting and fan curves using multiple runs of 3d Mark or an ingame benchmark, and there's bound to be a game that doesn't like the settings you've picked so you have to be happy to do more tweaking as and when. It's not a popular opinion but I find the Adrenaline software overbloated and I'm never sure if one setting is conflicting with another so I do a driver only install and use Afterburner for tweaking. Eventually you get there and it's trouble free, You can if you want do the same amount of tweaking with NVidia cards but I've never found it neccesary.
I already use MSI afterburner on my Nvidia and pretty good setting profiles up so basically I can use the same program brilliant thanks for that info.

I went from a 3070 OC that was running out of vram when gaming to a 7900GRE and it'a been a very good move. I have had zero problems with the card or the drivers. The card is powerful but very quiet and just eats through anything I throw at it at 1440p. Power consumption is something AMD really need to get on top of but I decreased it a good chunk by undervolting the card (did the same on the 3070).
Oh GRE never even thought of that one as I only really play at 1440p and will do but gonna upgrade to a 240hz monitor from my 144hz after Christmas ill have a read up on that one now.

Sold my 4090 for a decent amount and got a 7900XTX for pretty cheap with some cash left over, No regrets, Plays everything I want it to with good performance.

I'm not too fussed about RT, Even when I had the 4090 I just didn't care much outside of enabling it for 5 minutes, Saying "ooh shiny" then turning it off :D

Drivers have been largely smooth sailing.
I can honestly say ive never enabled RT on my 3070ti so ill not miss it.

Went from my 1080 to a 7900xtx. Built an AMD system with a 7800x3d so thought I would try there best card which was a sapphire nitro 7900xtx and it's been perfectly fine.

Now the news has come out they won't be making high end cards anymore, on my next upgrade I might have to go back Nvidia.
This is not really good for the consumer AMD giving up on high end cards.....but what do they determine is high end cards like the 7900xt or 7900xtx or are the gonna finish on the tier below.

AMD aren't giving up on high end cards, they are just concentrating on low to mid range for a gen or two presumably to try and gain some marketshare back.
ohhh so say their 7900xt/xtx tier are gonna go up against Nvidia midrange then which should blow nvidia out of the water or force Nvidia to either up their game or reduce prices.

The scary thing is that Nvidia are so far ahead of AMD already that they are just toying with them let alone when AMD ‘pulls’ out of the high end.

If Nvidia wanted to this gen they could have launched the 4080 as a 4070 for $600 and then launched a 4080 on the 102 die for $750 and still made a decent profit.
But they did not they constantly rip the consumer off whether it be cost or less memory.

You can can get 7900xtx make sure your power supply has 3 pcie power cables. Sapphire are the AMD maker I would get. Once you are happy with the card. Come on over to the dedicated forum if you fancy some tuning. It does respond very well to undervolting.
Will do and I have a Corsair RM850x has 3 as I use 3 now for the card I have thanks.

Back
Top Bottom