• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

have AMD stopped competing

Soldato
4890 was 195$ when I bought it, Techpowerup says 400$ for 5870 at the time of its release.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870/

You are comparing a 4890 with a reduced price to a brand new price. And if you read the review that you took the table from, suggest you go back and read the last line, the actual price is $379.

That doesn't change the fact that the 4890 was launched in the UK at £249 and the 5870 could be bought for £300 on release, Pete910 got his for £290.

No where near a doubling in price.

Permabanned
You are comparing a 4890 with a reduced price to a brand new price. And if you read the review that you took the table from, suggest you go back and read the last line, the actual price is $379.

That doesn't change the fact that the 4890 was launched in the UK at £249 and the 5870 could be bought for £300 on release, Pete910 got his for £290.

No where near a doubling in price.

The UK screwed the prices. Globally, they were different.
4890 for 195$ was also BRAND NEW :D

Soldato
When I first got into PC gaming, I bought an nvidia graphics card because all the games I was playing had this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6EFBlybD8

So I assumed anything with the Nvidia logo was the best and eventually bought my first GPU from PC World - a Nvidia 6200.

It wasn't until I became more hardware conscious that I bought an ATi HD3850 over the 8800GT back in the day because of better value for money.

I imagine a lot of everyday users have the same experience when buying a card.

Edit - This was true up until mining made AMD cards overpriced and rarer than unicorns.

Associate
I'm running a GTX 1070.

No point chaining ones self to a failing product because of principles, but our eyes should be open to what has really gone wrong.

What I meant here was that I ignored my instinct and went with the faster card at launch, GTX570 over a 6970 and GTX680 over a 7970. In both cases I later regretted not having gone it's the alternative. My GTX 780 I was happy with as at the time 3rd party 290X's were months out and the 780 had seen the price cut to £400. By the 980 Ti's release AMD were nowhere to be seen.

I certainly hope AMD can come up with something to compete. I do wonder whether they'll just do enough to keep some money coming in while focussing on increasingly powerful APU's. If current trends continue that may well be the way forward for affordable PC gaming for increasingly casual players such as myself. There's a long way to go before performance is anywhere near good enough of course, and who knows what state AMD and it's competitors will be in by then.

Permabanned
Stopped? No... been unable to compete since they bought out ATi? yes... it's been many years since AMd.ATi have been able to bring any kind of competition to Nvidia.

It's frustrating... it's the entire reason us consumers have been financially raped over the last years.

Soldato
I wouldn't go quite that far but ask the man above ^^^^^ how i feel about nVidia's drivers.

You think there the best things since sliced bread!

You are always banging the drum on how shadowplay stops you from recording just as you start via crashing because the sun/plantes are not aligned correctly

Also on how when you play certain games how the driver reminds you by stuttering ergo tuting at you that afterburner or whatever is running.

There's loads of other things but cba to mention them all.

:p

Soldato
Wasn't the 4/5870 AMD's as well as the 200 series :confused: seem to recall the 7xxx series did well to

Seem to remember AMD competing real well with them. No?

Yeah, pretty sure AMD have made most of Nvidia's best efforts obsolete. Apart from Vega being very late and the time around the G80 release...

Thinking more about it pre G80 was still ATI... So AMD are late with Vega and now they are doomed... To be fair AMD had bigger fish fry with Zen and that has had a bigger impact than any graphics would.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You think there the best things since sliced bread!

You are always banging the drum on how shadowplay stops you from recording just as you start via crashing because the sun/plantes are not aligned correctly

Also on how when you play certain games how the driver reminds you by stuttering ergo tuting at you that afterburner or whatever is running.

There's loads of other things but cba to mention them all.

:p

:D

Permabanned
Wasn't the 4/5870 AMD's as well as the 200 series :confused: seem to recall the 7xxx series did well to

Seem to remember AMD competing real well with them. No?

No... the last ATi card was the 6870... this was still ATi brand, while under the ownership of AMD.

This card was a significant failure. It was a rebrand of the 5870 and was left in the dust by the GTX480.

As soon as AMD took charge in the GPU sector... the GPUs started falling behind... despite the rebrand... the 6870 was actually worse than the 5870.

Bare in mind... GPU development is 2-3 years at least ahead of the release schedule... so the 5870 was the last of the ATi cards.

AMD killed competition in the GPU market... they also failed in the CPU market.

I still have hope they will someday become competitive again.

Permabanned
Yeah, pretty sure AMD have made most of Nvidia's best efforts obsolete. Apart from Vega being very late and the time around the G80 release...

Thinking more about it pre G80 was still ATI... So AMD are late with Vega and now they are doomed... To be fair AMD had bigger fish fry with Zen and that has had a bigger impact than any graphics would.

Are you blind or stupid?

It's been over 8 years since AMD brought any competitive GPU to the market.

Caporegime
No... the last ATi card was the 6870... this was still ATi brand, while under the ownership of AMD.

This card was a significant failure. It was a rebrand of the 5870 and was left in the dust by the GTX480.

As soon as AMD took charge in the GPU sector... the GPUs started falling behind... despite the rebrand... the 6870 was actually worse than the 5870.

Bare in mind... GPU development is 2-3 years at least ahead of the release schedule... so the 5870 was the last of the ATi cards.

The 6870 wasn't a rebrand, the 5870 was replaced with the 6970.

Soldato

Nope. AMD dropped the ring bus from ATI cards. So anything much past that was at least becoming AMD.

The HD6870 wasn't the replacement for the HD5870 that was the HD6970.

V F

V F

Soldato
I wouldn't go quite that far but ask the man above ^^^^^ how i feel about nVidia's drivers.

I had to revert to 385.41 because of issues with the display driver crashing with twitch in Firefox Quantum 58.0.2. https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7e9l3p/firefox_quantum_keeps_crashing_nvidia_display/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...rs-385-69-388-xx-accelerated-firefox-tdrs-/8/

The other problems I've read a lot here were the 2d clocks not restoring in certain drivers, not all but it seems to keep coming up in topics. This crashing issue with Firefox Quantum was the worst for me. It hasn't happened with 385.41.

NVIDIA customer care: "We are still trying to root cause the issue."

Man of Honour
I can't remember the price drop Rroff talks about. I thought they didn't reduce price until later in the year.

I bought several 470s for different systems and builds for other people, etc. managed to opportunistically buy most of them on the offers - most expensive was £240, cheapest £150 (about 6 months after release) I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.

I seem to get pretty lucky on GPU pricing somehow - my current 1070 was one of Gibbo's special offers at almost half the price the ones in stock currently go for :s

Last edited:
Soldato
I certainly hope AMD can come up with something to compete. I do wonder whether they'll just do enough to keep some money coming in while focussing on increasingly powerful APU's. If current trends continue that may well be the way forward for affordable PC gaming for increasingly casual players such as myself. There's a long way to go before performance is anywhere near good enough of course, and who knows what state AMD and it's competitors will be in by then.
Biggest problem for performance of GPUs bundled with CPU is memory bandwidth.
HBM is perfect for that:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2018/01/07/intel-and-amd-partner-on-new-8th-gen-chip/
No doubt AMD has plans for similar combination of their own now that Zen CPUs are bringing some cash flow allowing more than shoe string R&D budget.

Soldato
Are you blind or stupid?

It's been over 8 years since AMD brought any competitive GPU to the market.
Firstly if you're going to insult people you need to be damn sure what you're saying isn't factually incorrect or you will end up looking really silly.

Secondly it's only 6 years and one month since AMD launched the HD7970, which roflstomped the GTX580 and then when the GTX680 arrived it traded blows with that too eventually proving to be the better of the two, all at a price point that was closer to the GTX670 than the GTX680. You can also class it's little brother the HD7950 as competitive too considering how much cheaper than the similarly performing GTX670 it was.

Thirdly it's only 4 years and four months since the Radeon 290X arrived which admittedly drew some complaints about heat/power from people who were never going to touch an AMD card anyway, but at $70 less than the GTX780 while slightly beating it that too cannot be considered anything other than "competitive".

Back
Top Bottom