• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

have AMD stopped competing

Associate
I have been looking over the last few weeks at my options as I need either a laptop for gaming or a very small portable pc.

since I last built a pc and looked at components. amd from the sounds of yhe guys in shops are no where near as good or competitive.

I had a 280x and a 290 a few years ago and they were the brand that gave best bang for buck.

I'm looking at 1060/1070 levels of power for good 1080p and all the staff in shops iv spoke to have dismissed amd gpus instantly. have they really dropped off this much or am I just getting salesman bs

edit i have spoke to maybe 5 people all saying get a gtx 10 series card for 1080p gaming when building a new machine

apologies for grammer I'm on a smart phone

Don
In my opinion, and yes I could be wrong, when AMD took over ATi I think that they made to conscious effort to leave, or not invest as much money into dedicated GPU research and instead combined resources into creating APUs (integrated GPUs)... this left nVidia with the chance to corner a highly lucrative market in dedicated GPUs which AMD are quite happy to hand over... even with saying that they still have a strong GPU line up, just don't win it with FPS but still probably make a handful or money with being in all new generation consoles which dont mind not have the most pretty graphics or highest FPS which a lot of us custom PC makers want from our gaming rigs... it is a shame really since I think this market is rife for another dedicated GPU manufacturer.

Stelly

Soldato
Rx580 is right up there with 1060, slightly faster even
After that the Vega 56 is 1070 ish level but really stupid moneys

They can't really compete after that
If it wasn't for stupid gsync £200 tax nvidia would have it sewn up though

Man of Honour
Rx580 is right up there with 1060, slightly faster even
After that the Vega 56 is 1070 ish level but really stupid moneys

They can't really compete after that
If it wasn't for stupid gsync £200 tax nvidia would have it sewn up though

Small portable gaming PC though the 1070 at that performance point is much more ideal - there is even the ITX variant.

Soldato
For most intents and purpose they have,unless they are quietly planning a modern HD4870, - they pushed most of the R and D to Zen,which makes sense,but it means RTG and AMD graphics in general has been running on fumes it appears,and they had no contingency plans for any problems,like,the HBM2 delays,etc.

It also means,if you bought an R9 390 or GTX970 for £250 or less in 2014 or 2015,you would realistically have to have bought a £350 to £400 card in the GTX1070 to get a decent upgrade. Big Vega is really a card made for AMD to compete in AI,and has been shoehorned into consumer duties. As a result its expensive to make as the GPU is as big as one in a GTX1080TI and HBM2 memory is very expensive apparently,and the RAM cartel pricing has additionally made things worse. AMD has to financially support retailers to sell even a Vega 56 at a reasonable price.

So there is no downwards pressure on slower cards,and mining has just ended up making a poor situation worse.

They have a smaller Vega GPU made for Intel but again this uses HBM2 memory so if prices are still too high for that,its a real problem in the sub £300 market.

If anything the Raven Ridge APUs look the brightest spot in AMD graphics currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD were really in trouble a few years back and had to lay off thousands of engineers and massively reduced their R&D. They had to do it in order to survive until the release of Ryzen when they had to ride out the disaster of the Phenom/FX series, and that takes roughly 3 years to design a new CPU from scratch.

During that time, AMD had to reduce spending else they wouldn't be here now. I'm an AMD fan, but I bought an intel machine as even being a fan I couldn't justify the Phenom/FX at the time. They are not hideous, they just can't compete with the sandybridge+ processors from intel.

Intel also screwed over AMD when they had a faster processor 10 ish years ago, Intel got fined over £1B but that was just a rounding error compared to the damage it did to AMD at the time.

Anyway, the 580's from AMD are good, I've just bought one in the deal thread. AMD do tend to last better than NVidia historically due to their driver updates helping all the GCN generations of cards. You can see that with, iirc, the AMD 290 and the NVidia 970, at their release the 970 was the slightly faster card on average, but now the 290 is, again iirc, 10-15%+ faster than the 970. The Vega cards are ok, they've found their niche with mining where they are superior at the moment, but gaming they are around the 1080 level.

Soldato
AMD did that as an introductory offer, they dont, and haven't done it, since then. There is no need at the moment with mining the way it is as they can sell all they can make just now.

I said at a reasonable price,ie,for us mere gamers!!:p Not at a mining price,which is no doubt great timing for them,but we all knew Big Vega was really developed with AI and Apple,etc in mind. IIRC,they mentioned they had solid sales of their Radeon Instinct cards,and Apple seems to have no issues with getting Vega56 GPUs for their latest iMacs.

Soldato
More likely they are just sitting back counting the money rolling in from the miners. They dont need to bring out new cards. They could then play the long game and use the money incoming for a better thought out card for 2019 and beyond.

Soldato
Gamers rejected AMD graphics cards buy miners seem to love them.

Years ago the myth was PC gaming was for rich kids and elitest's when in actual fact you could get a perfectly good gaming PC for console money. These days it's no longer a myth, I just can't justify paying £500 for mid range video cards not to mention the cost ram also putting me off.

Permabanned
Short answer?? Preety much Yes they dont even have any gpu coming to mainstream in 2018.

Given that Ellesmere is a relatively small chip, 232 sq. mm ONLY, released back in June 2016 as an RX 480, then yes, AMD has stopped competing.
They should have released an updated RX 580 or RX 680 with something like 350ish sq. mm and updated architecture.
But no, and nothing is expected soon.

Caporegime
I take it Vega are AMD new gpu chipset? if so why is there no hype
The hype came and went. As usual for and AMD card, the hype train was pretty massive.

And also as usual for an AMD card, the hype train proved to be a total misadventure. Most had already disembarked by the time of release/review, but those still on board ended up extremely disappointed - yet another AMD hype train had spectacularly failed to take them anywhere close to where they wanted to be.

As with the previous few years, this AMD hype train was shunted in a siding and stripped down for scrap.

Back
Top Bottom