Hayfever - Thread

Soldato
chlorphenamine is piriton, i got told to have one before bed to help the post nasal drip while i sleep, and to knock me out so i sleep lol, don't work for either lol

I actually take these when im finding it hard to sleep sometimes, they knock me out. Only downside is finding the strength to get out of bed the next morning :p

Its the only medication that really works for me, though

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an over the counter eye drops?

I've been using Opticrom to get rid of this horrid sensation of dry eyes covered in hair (it's hard to describe!), but Opticrom is supposed to be discarded once opened after 14 days.

Soldato

I've been using Opticrom to get rid of this horrid sensation of dry eyes covered in hair (it's hard to describe!), but Opticrom is supposed to be discarded once opened after 14 days.
You'll find that any eye drops you buy will have a "discard after 14 days of opening" unfortunately. So if the drops are working well for you, I'd stay with them.

Associate
Mine says 4 weeks...
6eivc8.jpg
[/IMG]

Soldato

4 weeks on my bottle. I'd stick with Opticrom too, by far the best (imo). Or any Sodium Cromoglicate based one I guess.

Soldato
Serves me right for posting while still waking up from memory, rather than checking the box!

Opticrom is indeed "discard four weeks after opening."

I think it was "see your doctor or pharmacist... before using continuously for more than 14 days" that I was incorrectly recalling earlier.

I'm on my second bottle since early April, four weeks expired on 1st June (typically no more than 2 doses of 2 drops per eye per day), including a dose this morning. Not consulted a professional, giving bottle a good shake before use... Will I die? ;)

Soldato
My hayfever seems to have gone from mild to full blown symptoms in the last week! Today being the worst! I cannot breath and blowing my nose every few seconds. Nasal spray and tablets doing nothing! I haven't been too bad the last few years so it's frustrating to get it this bad again :(

Soldato
I have had brutal hayfever since childhood. It ruined my exams and summer as a kid, and I don't think there is a perfect solution - but over the years I've found the best defence for me, and I hope some of the following might help you.

The following is not a recommendation - particularly as regards the oral medication, it may involve going beyond recommended dosage.

1. Try to shower twice a day. Flush your eyes and nose slowly and carefully. Immediately after showering, use eye drops and nasal spray.
2. Use a combination of all drugs available, twice a day. Use the following first thing after showering in the morning (i.e. 7-9am), then just before going to bed (between 9-11pm):
  • 3 sprays in each nostril of Boots "Allergy Relief" nasal spray (active ingredient is the steroid "Fluticasone Propionate"). Overall, this equates to 6 sprays per nostril, per day.
  • 1 x 10mg ceterezine hydrochloride tablet. This equates to 20mg of ceterezine per day. If pollen levels are really high, I go up to 20mg in the evening.
  • 3 x drops in each eye, of Boots Hayfever relief eye drops (active ingredient is "Sodium Cromoglicate"). This equates to 6 drops per eye, per day.
3. Don't rub your eyes or face with your hands. I cannot stress this enough. If your face is itchy/bothered, use water to wash your face, then a clean towel to dry it. Immediately after, use eye drops and nasal spray as above.

Hope the above helps, good luck everyone.

Associate
My hayfever seems to have gone from mild to full blown symptoms in the last week! Today being the worst! I cannot breath and blowing my nose every few seconds. Nasal spray and tablets doing nothing! I haven't been too bad the last few years so it's frustrating to get it this bad again :(
Same here. I've had quite a decent past few years of it not flaring up all that much, but this past week has been terrible. Even if I open my car window a bit, like this morning, my eyes flare up straight away.

Some solid advice there caff :) I should really remember to take my tablets each day! :rolleyes:
But eye drops are a god sent when they become itchy. A quick flush of water, pat dry then eye drops... I daren't go outside again today!

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Keep your tablets up, I'm sure the nasal sprays aren't supposed to be used for more than thirty days in a row though. Due to them being steroids.

Shower twice like the other poster said, change your clothes every day to get rid of the pollen on them.

Keep Windows closed early mornings and evenings. Avoid too much milk it builds up mucus.

Soldato
I have all but given up trying different treatments none of them seem to do much for me. Tried Cetirizine, Acrivastine and loratadine. The sprays i dont like. The only one i have stuck with is the IR thing you put up your nose seems to help with the itchy eyes but doesn't touch the runny nose, itchy throat.

Soldato
I recall reading in the last year or so that eating celery can trigger hayfever sufferers!

Nose and throat aren't too bad today considering I accidentally ran out of tablets, but the eyes are driving me crazy!

Soldato
well my light hayfever symptoms since march which are usually curable as and when needed by beconase nose spray and opticrom eye drops is out of control today.

Nothing is helping, it looks like i have done 5 rounds with tyson, i cant stop sneezing and i feel like ****

hate it

Soldato
3. Don't rub your eyes or face with your hands. I cannot stress this enough. If your face is itchy/bothered, use water to wash your face, then a clean towel to dry it.

This is the worst thing for me my eyes get really sore, give them a rub.... arrrrrrrgh just made it a hundred times worse. A good rinse out of the eyes with plain old tap water works wonders for me. Mine seems to be a grass pollen allergy so its murder this time of year.

Soldato
I was a big hay fever sufferer as a child and teen, into my late 20s and early 30s it has really died off to the point where I don't use any medication.

However last 2 days it's been back with an absolute vengeance, memories and snot are flooding back....it's like being 12 again.

Soldato
Well this week has been terrible for me. Worst it has been for years. Was at the pub for lunch yesterday for 1hr. Got through 18 tissues in that time.
My eyes are so sore it is unreal. Headache is pounding and fexonfenadine does jack!

I really am thinking of of applying to NASA and offering to work from the moon from May to September every year!

Back
Top Bottom