HDD bay Bungee mod

Associate
If I order 4mm bungee cable, what sized P-Clips should I use? I cant find 4mm P Clips, just 3.2mm or 4.8mm??

I just threaded mine through the drive bay in a loop and tied the ends together using a double knot - works fine and hasn't come loose in over two years. When you slip the hard drive inbetween the loop - twist the loop over once or twice to increase the tension as required.

Associate
Done it again, properly this time. Ran out of HDD slots in the bay, so had to move my OS drive to the top. With power saver mode on and rest of HDDs not spinning, it's very silent!

IMAG0343a.jpg

IMAG0344a.jpg

Sorry for quality, stuck with my phone for the moment.

Soldato
Might have taken this to a whole new level, I only had one elastic band when I built my rig on friday.
Went out, picked up one of the cats mice it never plays with, ripped off the elasticated tail and used that to mount my SSD.

Not the first time I've used one of these ghetto solutions, my laptop secondary HDD is held in with ducktape and a wedge of scrap wood.

Soldato
Yeah i've got an old IDE spinpoint (sat on a metal desk too) and the drone is audible throughout the whole house. I'd planned to fit a laptop drive and SSD in one of those 3.5" > 2x2.5" adaptors and might still have to due to lack of hard drive slots and abundance of hard drives but if i can get away with it that's what i'll do

Anyone remember the 5x3.5" drive into 3x 5.25" icydock brackets? I wonder if it's possible to bodge something together similar to that which uses the bungee cord mod...

we definitely need a ghetto mods thread on ocuk for people to laugh/cringe at some of the things we've done over the years... I've got some beauties lol

Associate
[Sorry about double posting, this is my first post on this forum]

I decided to do my own mod, using elastic cables purchased from the local hardware store. I think they were about 8 dollars each so 16 dollars total.
11553400.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looking good :D I think the above is my fave, but i really dont have that much room. Im using a phantom 820 case and the sliders provided do nothing for vibration! I get wierd hum like this HMMMMmmmmMMMMMMmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMM, its like its going around in a circle!

Its defo the HDD as ive turned all the fans off and when i unplug the HDD theres no sound, my other HDD does a constant HMMMMMMMM so its not annoying and pretty much silent but this seagate one is LOUDquietLOUDquiet ect really annoying!!!

Caporegime
My PC sounds like a cyclone. I ran out of fan headers on the motherboard so a couple of fans are running at full tilt with molex adapters, both hard drives are screwed into the mounts in the regular way, the noise doesn't bother me in the slightest because I listen to music constantly when i'm at my PC, whether it is through the Hi-Fi or my headphones.

If it were not for this reason, I would do a bungee mod fo sure :p

Permabanned
Its kinda hard to do with my case :( And i have anti vibration sliders!!! So should really have to do it :\

Ima gonna try some cushioning, has anyone tried this?

Associate
I have first done this many years ago and since then done it in a few cases (depending on the case you have the vibrations are transmitted throughout the whole case if you don't do this!!)

One advice I can give to @Rabwick and others from my experience: it seems that if you put too much bunjee cord or too tight the vibrations are still felt if you put the hand on the case!

I think @dlknight pictures show the best and most simplified way of doing it, if your bay allows it of course ...that is the way at least I got the lowest noise/vibrations anyway!

Back
Top Bottom