Head Unit upgrade for an e46

Probably worth going to the 64GB Qualcomm one as you have more cores but if you are going to be using Android Auto, then it makes no difference to best save some ££ as they both will run Android Auto exactly the same and you won't notice any difference as it all works so seamlessly.

I got the DSP upgrade and wireless AA dongle and after a factory reset of the dongle to sort out a connection issue, I have had no issues. I noticed a quirk more recently whereby if I am using Waze via Android Auto then music can sometimes stutter, but if I use Google Maps navigation then there is no stutter. Waze has always been in beta for AA though so I figured I'd use Google Nav until Waze officially releases an AA version of the app that fully supports everything.

PX6 4GB with 64GB and 6 core chipset. I don't need 4G on it as my phone automatically enables hotspot the moment the phone connects to the android auto dongle via bluetooth for discovery, then the Android OS on the PX6 connects to the hotspot and is ready to go.

All works very well really.
Thanks for this! Probably going to save some ££ on the chipset and use them to buy the TPS. This has been a really helpful thread. If I run into trouble installing I might ping some questions, if that's OK.... :)

Reactions: mrk
Any ideas if it's possible to export your IBus app settings to a usb stick?
I want to reset my unit as the radio app has stopped working and the time is always set wrong when I start up the car (have to deselect auto time zone then re-enable it again for it to correct itself).
Don't fancy having to go through the whole IBus settings as I changed a lot of stuff. It was also ages ago so can't remember most of the settings I changed. :p

Last edited:
Ej9o9CW.jpg

Today I saw a firmware update popup when starting the car so went ahead with it. Didn't know what the changes were but when I got home after sunset the sidelights and rear tails were on when the car was locked/unlocked. turns out the firmware enabled some extra options for coming home/leaving home. Need to play around some more as there are loads of customisations here but looks like a single press of lock when locked turns on the lights for about 20s, if it's dark out and you unlock the car then the lights also come on etc. Kinda useful in certain situations I guess, a lot of wedding venues I shoot at have pitch black carparks so having this feature would come in handy, just gotta tweak the extra settings and pick what lights etc.

YprIZvk.gif

E46 rear LED cluters are still some of the coolest looking :cool:

Ej9o9CW.jpg

Today I saw a firmware update popup when starting the car so went ahead with it. Didn't know what the changes were but when I got home after sunset the sidelights and rear tails were on when the car was locked/unlocked. turns out the firmware enabled some extra options for coming home/leaving home. Need to play around some more as there are loads of customisations here but looks like a single press of lock when locked turns on the lights for about 20s, if it's dark out and you unlock the car then the lights also come on etc. Kinda useful in certain situations I guess, a lot of wedding venues I shoot at have pitch black carparks so having this feature would come in handy, just gotta tweak the extra settings and pick what lights etc.

YprIZvk.gif

E46 rear LED cluters are still some of the coolest looking :cool:
had something like that when I set coming home up, i thought my car was faulty lol so disabled it, no matter what options I chose it looked like a fairground ride

The novelty will wear off at some point but for now it seems to scare away the local foxes at night every time the ring doorbell camera alrts of motion and I press the button on the fob :p

Yep one pair there will work, probs more, all you're doing is pushing the lock pin in on each side under the 2 dials to pull out the unit.

Head unit not yet taken out but everything connected up in the boot. Removed amp cable and used the 5ft extension to connect to the Avin. It powers up. Two questions though: how do I open the sd card slot and why no sound coming through?

Really sorry about the flood of questions. Fix for the sound was simply that I was getting no radio reception in the garage, backed out and there was sound!
I’m trying to get as much working as possible before I install fully in the dash.
What are the thoughts on gps antenna? As I see it there are three options 1) BMW gps as installed in boot with extension lead to dash. 2) Avin antenna under dash. 3) Avin antenna in boot with extension. Leaning towards 3) - thoughts?
Thanks for being patient….

I did a few minutes tour of how I have the PX6 set up on my car, didn't realise I'd not done one yet for this unit, did for the old one though but that's not relevant any more.

Will hopefully help someone else decide if they come across this via Google etc which has happened for previous videos :cool:

Back
Top Bottom