Head Unit upgrade for an e46

Those sorts take away the OEM styling of th centre stack. I much prefer the AVIN units with optional DSP upgrade and wireless Android Auto.

Tmvg7tD.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously thinking of just putting the stock nav unit back in and making do with an aux connection, my radio now crackles and looses signal, despite wiping and reflashing firmware its not loosing all previous settings, loads of apps I had working fine such as netflix and itvx which were working fine constantly crash despite the factory resets, last ditch might be to try a Dynavin D8, but means i'll have to rerun a new 6m extension to boot apparantly and will just get the flex version to start with to test before paying for playstore and carplay

I suspect your issue might be to do with the xtrons model itself, It was one reason I went with the Mediatek chipset vs Snapdragon on the AVIN Avant 4, read some comments about apps crashing and whatnot although I'd have thought any issues would be sorted by now with updates. AVIN seem quick to reply to customer questions though as have had to ask them about stuff in recent times and always got a reply within the day.

Your probably right but its been fine until recently, anyway its now dead after i've litterally just tried to flash it again :( I would possibly try the Avin but hear there just as bad, obviously not in your experience, so stock unit to go back in this weekend now

Yeah no issues here really, my questions to AVIN support have been around how to do stuff and a recent wireless Android Auto quirk with music streaming which they supplied a new version of the Autolink app for. Far as my unit goes, everything works really well.

Sorted for now :) forgot about the little reset button on the front, had a sim eject tool handy and pushed it in and it restarted, i've downgraded it to Android 10 from 11 and so far seems stable the apps that were crashing now aren't so lets keep everything crossed for now, I had to buy an additional harness to connect the reseller dongle in, that might be causing the interference with my radio going to try it without for a bit and see if it helps

If using a USB extension then I have heard about some cables not being as stable as others, these dongles are very sensitive to even slight resistance etc on the cable.

Still tempted to try the dynavin d8 but the UK store no longer sells the flex version and no way am I spending £600 if its going to be a bag of :) 300 euros is much better and if its ok can spend another 200 euro to get carplay/android auto and playstore function

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Can I open up this discussion again? I have an E46 330Ci convertible and seriously considering the AVIN Avant 4. I was going to order the Qualcomm | 4G LTE | 6GB RAM | 128GB ROM | 8-core CPU but I'm thinking that I don't need all that with the 4G and hence PX6 | 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM | 6-core CPU is sufficient. I was going to go with the advanced DSP, IBUS, OBD2 and the tyre pressure sensors. I was just wondering if I have the best basic chipset, and what experiences have been with the unit since it has been installed. Thanks!
Jonathan

Those sorts take away the OEM styling of th centre stack. I much prefer the AVIN units with optional DSP upgrade and wireless Android Auto.

Tmvg7tD.jpg
Can I ask how you have found the unit since installing? Did you order the PX6 | 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM | 6-core CPU chipset rather than Qualcomm | 4G LTE | 6GB RAM | 128GB ROM | 8-core CPU?

Can I open up this discussion again? I have an E46 330Ci convertible and seriously considering the AVIN Avant 4. I was going to order the Qualcomm | 4G LTE | 6GB RAM | 128GB ROM | 8-core CPU but I'm thinking that I don't need all that with the 4G and hence PX6 | 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM | 6-core CPU is sufficient. I was going to go with the advanced DSP, IBUS, OBD2 and the tyre pressure sensors. I was just wondering if I have the best basic chipset, and what experiences have been with the unit since it has been installed. Thanks!
Jonathan
Probably worth going to the 64GB Qualcomm one as you have more cores but if you are going to be using Android Auto, then it makes no difference to best save some ££ as they both will run Android Auto exactly the same and you won't notice any difference as it all works so seamlessly.

I got the DSP upgrade and wireless AA dongle and after a factory reset of the dongle to sort out a connection issue, I have had no issues. I noticed a quirk more recently whereby if I am using Waze via Android Auto then music can sometimes stutter, but if I use Google Maps navigation then there is no stutter. Waze has always been in beta for AA though so I figured I'd use Google Nav until Waze officially releases an AA version of the app that fully supports everything.

Can I ask how you have found the unit since installing? Did you order the PX6 | 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM | 6-core CPU chipset rather than Qualcomm | 4G LTE | 6GB RAM | 128GB ROM | 8-core CPU?
PX6 4GB with 64GB and 6 core chipset. I don't need 4G on it as my phone automatically enables hotspot the moment the phone connects to the android auto dongle via bluetooth for discovery, then the Android OS on the PX6 connects to the hotspot and is ready to go.

All works very well really.

PX6 4GB with 64GB and 6 core chipset. I don't need 4G on it as my phone automatically enables hotspot the moment the phone connects to the android auto dongle via bluetooth for discovery, then the Android OS on the PX6 connects to the hotspot and is ready to go.

All works very well really.
Interesting that, as I swear on mine with built in AA and Carplay (i've only used carplay mind) that it uses wifi and therefore disconnects from my iphone hotspot so if I try and then come out of carplay and jump on the web I have to enable hotspot again and reconnect the headunit and in turn it keeps auto connecting to carplay and thus disconnecting the hotspot again and keeps doing this until i disable bluetooth bit of a faff, might try and nab an android phone from somewhere to test that, just been resetting up the ibus app, still for the life of me cant get my mirror to drop using the onscreen button like you .....

With AA you should not have bluetooth connecting to the main stereo's bluetooth, the bluetooth should only be connecting to the Android auto BT connection which is on its own and used just for AA - If you set your phone to enable hotspot when it connects to the AA bluetooth, then the hotspot should remain active until you turn the car off. I have a Samsung phone so use Samsung Routines to set up that if/then/else for hotspot. Android Auto then sends all audio like music etc over wireless connection to the stereo and uses a lossless codec etc.

If you have an iPhone, then I have no idea as they are /different/ with stuff like this :p

The mirror drop worked out the box for me once I set the car as right hand drive and some other info in the car details settings of the ibus app btw.

Last edited:
so if I try and then come out of carplay and jump on the web I have to enable hotspot again and reconnect the headunit and in turn it keeps auto connecting to carplay and thus disconnecting the hotspot again and keeps doing this until i disable bluetooth bit of a faff,
Discussed this phenomena for android recently below thread - can't have the phone acting as a hotspot for native apps on HU, and, simultaneously serve wireless android auto, so would need to revert to wired android auto;
consequence is the alpine e46 HU I linked above couldn't use native Tidal music & waze on AA at the same time - that's what I understand anyway.

Android can be a bit funky sometimes with WiFi connections that have no internet. And depending on the user the funkiness can compound e.g. I often connect to WiFi networks without data such as my dash cam. It means there is a bit of clicking about sometimes to get the phone to act appropriately with the right network.

I’m still tempted to try a dynavin d8 but the specs would leave to believe it would be a big downgrade although I have a feeling the software might be a bit more polished what I don’t understand is it’s obviously connecting into the ibus as it natively shows pdc but has no obc function

There's a setting in the ibus app to enable obc, checked that?

My parking sensors are now fixed so am looking forward to getting the heat map style distance overlay when reversing :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom