Healthier eating, healthy snack ideas?

Soldato
Hi,

So I'm quite the snacker, the problem is my snacks are not the healthiest, I also feel like I have a big appetite, so I would like a snack that's reasonable filling.

One thing I was doing was for breakfast, and even for dinner, or maybe tea instead sometimes I was having greek yoghurt with chia seeds, I found the pleasantly filling, and tasty, but only the full fat greek style, the fat free ones are horrible.

I am concerned about the fat content and I'm sure it was contributing to me gaining weight.

I exercise, average around 80 miles a week by bicycle over 2 to 3 rides, in the process of increasing mileage.

I get in the habit of panicking what I eat, or having too much junk snacks, then trying to starve myself, the problem is, if I skip a meal, I find this makes me more likely to binge eat on a night.

I'm trying to include more veg for meals, I enjoy jacket potatoes so I am trying to eat more healthy.

But any meal ideas, snack ideas, advice very much needed as I'm getting panicky about my weight, more so due to power to weight ratio for cycling really though!

Associate
Have you done a calorie count? That's a simple way to potentially shock you into changing your diet. It may be that, it may be what you're eating. Chia seeds and jacket potatoes are high with fibre, the thing most people lack, it seems all about protein these days, so you're off to a good start already.

Associate
First of all, a grown person whouldn't need snacking outside 2-3 meals a day. So looking into what makes you snack is important

But if I want something quick and convenient that won't make me crave more - whole food with lots of protein. Hard boiled egg, a piece of cooked meat. Recent discovery is those little cans of fish in oil or sauce.

Soldato
I think any fruit with a high water content is probably the best bet for something to snack on. Watermelon is a good one that was already mentioned but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that is enjoyable.

Soldato
I used to make oat, banana and raisin cookies. Probably should start making them again.
Swap the raisins for nuts or other stuff that you fancy for variety.

Soldato
Have you done a calorie count? That's a simple way to potentially shock you into changing your diet. It may be that, it may be what you're eating.

This. What are your goals and what is your diet like?

Are you meals big enough and often enough? Is a poor diet causing hunger pangs.

High protein foods can help stave off hunger. Especially if you're trying to lose weight.

Sugar free jelly and popcorn, whilst not healthy can be eaten in large amounts and are filling but low in calories. Salad too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom