Healthier eating, healthy snack ideas?

Soldato
I've fancied giving it a go but do you need a dehumidifier? Or can you get away without one?
In South Africa they just hang it from the eaves of the house or something.

In the UK you need something that generates heat, and something that keeps a decent airflow. SA shops offer biltong boxes, or you can make your own out of wood or something, which is basically a vented box with a fan and an incandescent lightbulb for heat. However, depending on the climate, I've found this isn't always sufficient and even more so in areas close to water, be they lakes, coastal, or similar.
You can get vaguely passable results with a combi-airfryer but it tends to cook the outside too quickly and doesn't really do anything to the core.

It's really a case of DIY biltong box and a measure of trial & error, tweaking the design as you go.
If you have a local SA shop or butcher who does it, maybe get a look at their setup and get some hints. We have a Biltong Emporium local to us, but I keep forgetting to enquire as their offerings are quite distracting!

Soldato
I’m sorry to say that it isn’t the fat content of your yoghurt that’s making you fat. It’s eating too many calories in the day.

Zero fat yoghurt is a really excellent snack as it’s also high in protein. The trouble with high protein foods is that they’re often high calorie too.

Look carefully at the balance of protein : carbs : fat ratio of your meals.

Would recommend Kvarg yoghurts too. Can be picked up cheaply and seem to be a very favourable low calorie, high protein snack.

Fruit is decent, but can be quite calorific and full of sugar so doesn’t always keep you full.

As said above, if you want to list weight, don’t be hungry as you’ll over compensate by eating rubbish (I do, it’s silly, but it’s hard to avoid).

Good luck!

Soldato
OP
I love the greek yoghurt but only full fat, tried low fat and it just doesn't taste good at all, you can tell the fat makes it what it is.

I have a small mug, like the ones you get at christmas markets and that's what I fill with the yoghurt and chia seeds, would you say that's too calorific?

Soldato
I love the greek yoghurt but only full fat, tried low fat and it just doesn't taste good at all, you can tell the fat makes it what it is.

I have a small mug, like the ones you get at christmas markets and that's what I fill with the yoghurt and chia seeds, would you say that's too calorific?
Probably a couple of hundred. Depends on the rest of your diet and how much you move though. If its the only thing you eat then no, it's not. If you have that on top of 3,000 other calories then you're going to put on weight unless you are smashing out exercise and walking for 2 hours a day. Low fat yoghurt is awful, it uses sugar to replace the fat and isnt nessecarliy lower calorie. Fat is not your enemy, over eating is.

Weight loss (or gain) is calories in versus calories out, it really is that simple for the vast majority of healthy people. Download Myfitness pal app, buy a set of kitchen scales and track everything you eat and drink for a month. It's free and is good for habit forming and starting a better routine. If you exercise too and have a wearable, Apple watch or track it on a fitness app such as strava it will sync the data and give you a rough but decent enough idea of whats coming in and whats going out. You'll notice weight changes pretty rapidly for males, depending on which of the numbers is bigger.

If you are serious about weight loss then its worth spending some money on some nutirion guidance to get a start. If not then something liek this will give you a rough idea of what you need to be consuming in a day to start moving the scales then set aside your main meals and build the snacks into your day to fit within you calorie allowance. If its moving too quickly, or not quick enough then adjust your input or output accordingly. https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm doing about 80-100 miles on average cycling per week, outside of that I don't do much exercise, I am always on the move though. Probably burn about 4000-6000 calories a week, seems fairly accurate since it's got accurate power calculation from my power meter.

Soldato
I'm doing about 80-100 miles on average cycling per week, outside of that I don't do much exercise, I am always on the move though. Probably burn about 4000-6000 calories a week, seems fairly accurate since it's got accurate power calculation from my power meter.
Ok, well that's a start :)
Presume you mean that is the amount used during exercise? It's not that much really, if its averaging at 600 per day and you are eating 2,400 (which is easy done, even without snacks) then you'll likely still be gaining weight.

Next use that link to find your maintenance cals then start measuring what you eat to determine how many you need to cut if you want to start losing weight. Then see how you snacks will fit in with your target and how many of your target cals you have leftover to spend then develop the snack from that, rather than other way round. If you can't fit them in then you'll either need to eliminate them or reduce your meal portion sizes to accommodate. You have to play around with it and see what works best for you, aim for 1 - 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight then build around that but if you want to lose weight then you are going to have to deal with being a bit hungry from time to time.

Some people eat in a calorie deficit three times per day and are ok with that, personally I eat 6 - 8 times per day if I am trying to drop a bit. Some like intermittent fasting (calorie deficit), some eat a high protein diet (calorie deficit), some will swear to you how good an atkins, a low carb or a carnivore diet is for weight loss and they'd be right but it's ultimately just a high protien calorie deficit. Do you see the common theme?

Soldato
@Vandle - Some of the fat free yoghurts are ok. If you look at Sainsbury's Greek yoghurt, the full fat has 4.2g of sugar per 100g at 103kcal whereas the fat free Greek yoghurt is 5.2g of sugar and 51kcal. It's not a quantum leap in sugar and perhaps the flavoured yoghurts are worse. The full fat is of course nicer, but fat free is very helpful for dropping calorie intake easily. Low calorie density foods are helpful for dropping weight.

I agree that it's moderation rather than making crazy diet swaps though!

Soldato
@Vandle - Some of the fat free yoghurts are ok. If you look at Sainsbury's Greek yoghurt, the full fat has 4.2g of sugar per 100g at 103kcal whereas the fat free Greek yoghurt is 5.2g of sugar and 51kcal. It's not a quantum leap in sugar and perhaps the flavoured yoghurts are worse. The full fat is of course nicer, but fat free is very helpful for dropping calorie intake easily. Low calorie density foods are helpful for dropping weight.

I agree that it's moderation rather than making crazy diet swaps though!
Yes, good point. Perhaps I shouldn't dismiss every yoghurt in such a sweeping statement! It's still almost 2.5 times the sugar content cal for cal though. Point being its easy for those just figuring this out to think fat free means you can eat as much of it as you want and won't get fat :)

Associate
I’m sorry to say that it isn’t the fat content of your yoghurt that’s making you fat. It’s eating too many calories in the day.

Zero fat yoghurt is a really excellent snack as it’s also high in protein. The trouble with high protein foods is that they’re often high calorie too.

Look carefully at the balance of protein : carbs : fat ratio of your meals.

Would recommend Kvarg yoghurts too. Can be picked up cheaply and seem to be a very favourable low calorie, high protein snack.

Fruit is decent, but can be quite calorific and full of sugar so doesn’t always keep you full.

As said above, if you want to list weight, don’t be hungry as you’ll over compensate by eating rubbish (I do, it’s silly, but it’s hard to avoid).

Good luck!
Probably a couple of hundred. Depends on the rest of your diet and how much you move though. If its the only thing you eat then no, it's not. If you have that on top of 3,000 other calories then you're going to put on weight unless you are smashing out exercise and walking for 2 hours a day. Low fat yoghurt is awful, it uses sugar to replace the fat and isnt nessecarliy lower calorie. Fat is not your enemy, over eating is.

Weight loss (or gain) is calories in versus calories out, it really is that simple for the vast majority of healthy people. Download Myfitness pal app, buy a set of kitchen scales and track everything you eat and drink for a month. It's free and is good for habit forming and starting a better routine. If you exercise too and have a wearable, Apple watch or track it on a fitness app such as strava it will sync the data and give you a rough but decent enough idea of whats coming in and whats going out. You'll notice weight changes pretty rapidly for males, depending on which of the numbers is bigger.

If you are serious about weight loss then its worth spending some money on some nutirion guidance to get a start. If not then something liek this will give you a rough idea of what you need to be consuming in a day to start moving the scales then set aside your main meals and build the snacks into your day to fit within you calorie allowance. If its moving too quickly, or not quick enough then adjust your input or output accordingly. https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Incorrect calories are meaningless and are not valid measurement for human nutrition.

This is basic level science.

CICO is made up we have no way to even measure this.

It's fat loss not weight.

Fat & protein those are what you want no carbs are required.

You do not need to jump on scales or use these silly apps.

A person does not need to snack if you eat proper meals the whole snack thing has happened because we are eating junk which keeps people wanting more also the high amount of carbs with the ups/downs.

Any person who eats our natural diet Keto/Carnivore does not have these problems.

Soldato
Incorrect calories are meaningless and are not valid measurement for human nutrition.

A person does not need to snack if you eat proper meals the whole snack thing has happened because we are eating junk which keeps people wanting more also the high amount of carbs with the ups/downs.

Any person who eats our natural diet Keto/Carnivore does not have these problems.

"Incorrect" "meaningless" "basic level science" "natural diet" right...

Calories are a measure of energy. Within a decided amount of calories you can arrange foods to have useful nutrition.

Calories in calories out is absolutely measurable. You have two things which can be tracked in a home environment. The calories you are taking in and your weight. The only way it can fail is by giving up.

Soldato

It's not made up :D . If you consume less than you use then you'll begin to lose weight, predominately fat, consuming more has the opposite effect. The calorific content of foods is printed on the label by law, or is this just a conspiracy theory? Carbs can be very quickly turned to energy which is why you don't see Tour De France riders tucking into a bag of pork scratchings or eating a few sausages mid ride.
People lose fat quickly on a carnivore or keto diet because the higher protein levels keep them fuller so they overall eat less. Its a calorie deficit.

Where does the bonkers idea of our "natural diet" being that of a carnivore come from? Do you think early hunter gatherer man was out catching deer or whatever to eat while ignoring fruits, berries and vegetables he can eat using his flat back teeth on the ground he was walking on that also didn't fight back or run away from him?

Last edited:
Associate
Wasabi peas

I snack because I'm a greedy pig, devoured 8 cheese slices and half a box of crackers last night for a lazy midnight snack, I feel dirty afterwards but it's so enjoyable at the time
I'm constantly looking for **** to snack on.
Yesterday for no reason I had spaghetti hoops, doused in soy sauce, some of the dog's broccoli and 2 slices of bread and butter.

Obviously he wondered what my bloody game was. I had to let him have some too.

Associate
"Incorrect" "meaningless" "basic level science" "natural diet" right...

Calories are a measure of energy. Within a decided amount of calories you can arrange foods to have useful nutrition.

Calories in calories out is absolutely measurable. You have two things which can be tracked in a home environment. The calories you are taking in and your weight. The only way it can fail is by giving up.

Calories are not a valid measurement for human nutrition this is a FACT.

I really do suggest you go and study the subject.

It's not made up :D . If you consume less than you use then you'll begin to lose weight, predominately fat, consuming more has the opposite effect. The calorific content of foods is printed on the label by law, or is this just a conspiracy theory? Carbs can be very quickly turned to energy which is why you don't see Tour De France riders tucking into a bag of pork scratchings or eating a few sausages mid ride.
People lose fat quickly on a carnivore or keto diet because the higher protein levels keep them fuller so they overall eat less. Its a calorie deficit.

Where does the bonkers idea of our "natural diet" being that of a carnivore come from? Do you think early hunter gatherer man was out catching deer or whatever to eat while ignoring fruits, berries and vegetables he can eat using his flat back teeth on the ground he was walking on that also didn't fight back or run away from him?

Yes it is.

How do you determine how much you use? not every person is the same many variables come into play.

Ok so because something is printed on a label by law it makes it 100% valid yes that is real science for you.

People really should learn how things work not just keep jump on mainstream misinformation or because an authority body states something.

Incorrect again about Carnivore/Keto.

If you want to know about what you claim "bonkers" idea about the likes of Carnivore go and have a look at isotopes data and some other disciplines of science it is backed up but if you look at it from the made up nutrition science it wont be.

You may want to learn about our planet and how crops grow as well also the climate etc.

Last post on this subject some people don't want to learn the truth and this is not really the place for it.

Soldato
Calories are not a valid measurement for human nutrition this is a FACT.

I really do suggest you go and study the subject.

Yes it is.

How do you determine how much you use? not every person is the same many variables come into play.

Ok so because something is printed on a label by law it makes it 100% valid yes that is real science for you.

People really should learn how things work not just keep jump on mainstream misinformation or because an authority body states something.

Incorrect again about Carnivore/Keto.

If you want to know about what you claim "bonkers" idea about the likes of Carnivore go and have a look at isotopes data and some other disciplines of science it is backed up but if you look at it from the made up nutrition science it wont be.

You may want to learn about our planet and how crops grow as well also the climate etc.

Last post on this subject some people don't want to learn the truth and this is not really the place for it.

What's wrong with you.

You are manically ranting something about calories that no one said.

IT IS A MEASURE OF ENERGY. And once you have decided a limit for your energy intake you can select food of various nutrition for health within that energy limit.

And you blindly ignored the two extremely simple measurements that I stated are possible at home.

You measure the calories you are eating and drinking and you weigh yourself. This is completely foolproof and requires zero dodgy food extremes.

I'll spell it out. If you lose weight over time you are burning more calories than the measured amount of calories you have been eating. If you do not lose weight you reduce the measured amount of calories and do it again because that measured amount of calories was obviously too much.

And just like that in a home environment you find out the amount of calories that your body burns whatever your lifestyle, by knowing exactly what you put in and checking the outcome.

Is this too "mainstream" to apply basic science to find out how much energy something uses by measuring what goes in and the end result.

Associate
What's wrong with you.

You are manically ranting something about calories that no one said.

IT IS A MEASURE OF ENERGY. And once you have decided a limit for your energy intake you can select food of various nutrition for health within that energy limit.

And you blindly ignored the two extremely simple measurements that I stated are possible at home.

You measure the calories you are eating and drinking and you weigh yourself. This is completely foolproof and requires zero dodgy food extremes.

I'll spell it out. If you lose weight over time you are burning more calories than the measured amount of calories you have been eating. If you do not lose weight you reduce the measured amount of calories and do it again because that measured amount of calories was obviously too much.

And just like that in a home environment you find out the amount of calories that your body burns whatever your lifestyle, by knowing exactly what you put in and checking the outcome.

Is this too "mainstream" to apply basic science to find out how much energy something uses by measuring what goes in and the end result.

Incorrect again.

CICO is not valid FACT.

Come back when you are educated on the subject currently you are not.

You can't measure you are not getting it.

You do not even understand what Mass is.

As I said before i'm done you can keep posting all you want feel free but you are making up your own science most of it is mainstream BS.

Could you tell me what time my CICO clock resets everyday ??? ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom