Hearts of Iron 4

Soldato
I think if you have good prospects of gaining a lot of valuable land fairly quickly, then I think superior firepower is best suited as you can sustain an industry to take advantage of that. So yes, I was using SF. I think arty was nerfed, but from reading around, the 14/4 still seems to offer so much and the arty adds plenty of soft attack.

Russia and China are possibly two nations where SF may not be as suitable, but I couldn't give you a stat by stat breakdown of why one doctrine is better than another tbh, I don't know that much about the game.

Soldato
Had a bit of a hiatus lately due to personal reasons, but finally got round to some gaming....House of Kurds now completed!

MfJ9vV3.jpg

This was the biggest pain ever, basically a massive world conquest as Germany so that you can complete all the peace deals to hold all 8 cores of Kurdistan, so that when you release them as a puppet (and play as them) then you unlock the achievement. Been a long time coming this one.

102/132

Soldato
You're getting so close to all of them. Do you think you ever will? I still haven't done one :D

I don't actually see it as being that close!!

I've got all the really hard ones left to go....!

....Master Puppeteer....Hardly Anything Sevres....Totally Not Cool, Bromania....Finnish Him....Go Ahead Macau My Day.....Our Chief Weapon is Surprise (zzzzzz)....30 Minutes of Hel....

Soldato
There will be new achievements once the next DLC lands too :D

Some may be quite low hanging fruit but others may be tough! Can't wait for new DLC, feels like it really is bringing loads of cool stuff with it. Hopefully a cool Italy tree will follow!

One thing that is a little bit underwhelming at the moment is that I constantly slip towards simplicity woth the navy and end up just building hundreds of sub 3s. Its a very dull but effective way to play.

Soldato
Can't lie, Ive constantly been looking for ways to play smart which could be construed as "gaming the system" a bit. Some of the achievements are inpossible without.

Trying the achievement where as Spain you have to orchestrate 6 coups with 5 or more spies. Tough that one. Won the civil war and am gonna try to join the allies in non historical and become spy master and see how that goes.

Soldato
I am phenomenally bad at understanding all the pre-civil war mechanics and decisions for Spain, I just plainly do not understand most of it.

I think the main thing will be just surviving against Germany or helping the allies a bit to prevent the fall of France to preserve my borders whilst my spies are away orchestrating coups. Going to take ages to do 6 coups though, even on speed 5.

Soldato
Our Chief Weapon is Surprise....completed.

A total drag this was, once you win the civil war, the main thing to do was to just let the war play out a bit before choosing sides. I eventually went for the axis as they looked strongest and were more suited to my ideology, so once we shored up northern France then wiped out the Soviets (I played only a small role) it was all about having enough divisions for coastal defence (if needed) then orchestrating coups. To do so you have to lower their stability and also boost your ideology so a coup can be prepared. You also need to do a coup on a country that has more than one tile, that way you can select the target state - smaller one tile nations you can't do a coup.

Spent more of that just watching Youtube and occasionally checking in to the game.....oh well.....a garbage achievement to be honest.

That's now 103/132.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a good question, I'm not sure whether their ideology is "hard coded" in historical mode? But I've never tried, in theory there is nothing stopping a coup on a major power. The main problem I'd see about a coup in the early years is getting enough agents (min of 3 but preferably more) to not only switch ideology but also bring down their stability below 70%. And even then, there is a 180 day cooking time for preparing a coup.

The other main problem with major powers is that they can be quite resistive to spying operations and you may end up having your spies repeatedly captured if they have even slightly upgraded their agency.

Soldato
Ok....talk to me about Communist UK.

I'm finding it pretty hard to be competitive after the UK civil war. I can win the civil war easily enough but struggling to fight aggressive wars.

I also shouldn't have given up Africa so easily. Pretty challenging this.

Eventually want to do Crush the Dream, as commie UK puppet the USA

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I've just started playing this again after a couple of years, which back then would have been with no DLC. Now I'm playing with all the major DLC and the interface has changed quite drastically lol!

Just figuring out where everything all is, and the new decisions tab which seems to have added a lot of depth to the political side of things, intelligence tab etc, there's a lot of learning to do!

A couple of things I can't seem to find (that I remember being in before) is that before I remember being able to change how "trained" a division was before deployment. Is that still there?

I can also see an option to attach air wings to armies - is that needed? As I can just set a air wing for e.g. CAS mission where my army is attacking and it provides CAS for that army without it being attached. What does attaching it add?

I'm sure there will be a lot more questions to come, so I'll apologise in advance! :D

Soldato
Good questions.

With training before deployment, you can force deploy before they have done basic training, but its still advisable to fully train them after that. I can't think of anything else that could answer your question.

With regards to cas, maybe phil can answer that. I have never attached cas airwings to armies before, as you say, I just set them on their ground support missions.

Had to bin off ny last commie UK run, was getting smashed by Germany on the continent in defence of the USSR. Will have to rethink my plans. Maybe hold more of the Mediterranean, and build more aircraft, naybe get more involved in defending France earlier. Who knows.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Good questions.

With training before deployment, you can force deploy before they have done basic training, but its still advisable to fully train them after that. I can't think of anything else that could answer your question.

With regards to cas, maybe phil can answer that. I have never attached cas airwings to armies before, as you say, I just set them on their ground support missions.

Had to bin off ny last commie UK run, was getting smashed by Germany on the continent in defence of the USSR. Will have to rethink my plans. Maybe hold more of the Mediterranean, and build more aircraft, naybe get more involved in defending France earlier. Who knows.

Thanks for that :)

WRT training before deployment, perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but before you could set what training level they deploy at without having to mess about. It was just a set and forget depending on if you want them as trained as they can be or "green" straight from basics, with the trade off being longer time for deployment if you wanted them better trained to begin with etc. It used to be a "law" you set, or something like that.

Another one I've just thought about is setting naval missions - I remember you could set a fleet (say for example a carrier fleet) to patrol a certain sea zone, and then set another one to patrol a different zone, and they would stick to those zones until you told them otherwise. Now the fleets seem to group together under an admiral and if you set a zone to patrol for eg your 1st carrier fleet, when you then set your 2nd carrier fleet under the same admiral to patrol another zone they now seem to share those 2 zones between them and both move between the 2, rather than stay in the one zone each ( hopefully that makes sense! )

Man of Honour
Okay, air support. You need "green air" ideally. If you attach aircraft wings to armies it's basically avoids the micro management. I tend to use it on large fronts. Make sure you set the role firstly, so if you want close support, you choose the relevant aircraft, then it's role, then decide if you want to attack day/night, and if you want to be cautious or not. Attach the wing to the army and the army will then decide where to use them. Works well. If you want to intercept say, protecting france from bombers, then individually micro the wing yourself.

Always, always train your armies till their little logo changes to trained. If you mouse over the stats you will see the benefits. It's pretty significant.

Naval stuff has changed since you played it - and yes you are right about the zones. So the best way to do it now is to assign commanders to different zones, even if that is a single zone. To be fair, it works quite well for me. For instance, I have a task force set to convoy raid the atlantic, and i assign relevant wolfpacks to do that. I make sure every zone is covered, so there is simply no escape, and I make sure there are at least 10 subs per zone. I've sunk 450 transports and light hulls using this method, to just 37 lost. Make sure you check the buttons - you can tell them to attack cautiously, or be more reckless, and whether to split damaged ships off automatically so they head to friendly docks for repair. There is a huge amount going on behind the scenes, and its far more complicated than I have time to go into here. But it's worth researching.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Okay, air support. You need "green air" ideally. If you attach aircraft wings to armies it's basically avoids the micro management. I tend to use it on large fronts. Make sure you set the role firstly, so if you want close support, you choose the relevant aircraft, then it's role, then decide if you want to attack day/night, and if you want to be cautious or not. Attach the wing to the army and the army will then decide where to use them. Works well. If you want to intercept say, protecting france from bombers, then individually micro the wing yourself.

Always, always train your armies till their little logo changes to trained. If you mouse over the stats you will see the benefits. It's pretty significant.

Naval stuff has changed since you played it - and yes you are right about the zones. So the best way to do it now is to assign commanders to different zones, even if that is a single zone. To be fair, it works quite well for me. For instance, I have a task force set to convoy raid the atlantic, and i assign relevant wolfpacks to do that. I make sure every zone is covered, so there is simply no escape, and I make sure there are at least 10 subs per zone. I've sunk 450 transports and light hulls using this method, to just 37 lost. Make sure you check the buttons - you can tell them to attack cautiously, or be more reckless, and whether to split damaged ships off automatically so they head to friendly docks for repair. There is a huge amount going on behind the scenes, and its far more complicated than I have time to go into here. But it's worth researching.

Top stuff, thanks for that. I've basically got to re-learn the game again haha. I'll definitely start attaching air wings to armies now to lessen the micro management! Yeah the navy side of things has completely changed since I last played! I did see the options for breaking off damaged ships from the fleet, but I also saw an option to repair after light damage, although in one of my carrier fleets I had a couple of carriers below 50% strength and the fleet never repaired until I had to manually tell them, so not sure what the game classes as light damage haha!

Back
Top Bottom