Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

:( still no further on with mine, DNO are really slowing things down. Had a electrician drive about 6 hours to get here yesterday, he was authorised to work on the cut out and metre to see if he could fit the new metre tails so that was ready. But he had the same problem as the previous guy and said the cut out needs replacing.

Been nearly 2 weeks now since the DNO came out, tried contracting them twice to see if I can get an update and been told someone will call me back but they havent.

I think at this rate im just goign to have to get a combi installed, its going to be well into winter by the time they can even start the ASHP install and I cant be goign that long without heating.

:( still no further on with mine, DNO are really slowing things down. Had a electrician drive about 6 hours to get here yesterday, he was authorised to work on the cut out and metre to see if he could fit the new metre tails so that was ready. But he had the same problem as the previous guy and said the cut out needs replacing.

Been nearly 2 weeks now since the DNO came out, tried contracting them twice to see if I can get an update and been told someone will call me back but they havent.

I think at this rate im just goign to have to get a combi installed, its going to be well into winter by the time they can even start the ASHP install and I cant be goign that long without heating.
Why can't you just have it off of your existing leccy meter? Are you getting a huge one? My nibe has been drawing around 1.6kWe at full load, half that of my kettle

Odd, it’s usually the cut out which is the last part to change.

The tails between the cut out and the meter, and the onward tails to the consumer unit (Via an isolator) all need to be 25mm before they will update the cut out fuse.

You’d usually get the metering guys out first to do both ends connect into the meter up to an isolator, your electrician would need to do the ‘customer side’ from the isolator switch and then the DNO come in last and swap the fuse.

Why can't you just have it off of your existing leccy meter? Are you getting a huge one? My nibe has been drawing around 1.6kWe at full load, half that of my kettle
It's with it being a looped supply. There's some conflict over if it needs to be de looped or not. When the dno came out he said should be ok with a bigger fuse but the guy that came yesterday said he has never came across that they usually just de loop.

Odd, it’s usually the cut out which is the last part to change.

The tails between the cut out and the meter, and the onward tails to the consumer unit (Via an isolator) all need to be 25mm before they will update the cut out fuse.

You’d usually get the metering guys out first to do both ends connect into the meter up to an isolator, your electrician would need to do the ‘customer side’ from the isolator switch and then the DNO come in last and swap the fuse.

The way the cut out is it seems they can't fit new tails in

IMG_20240626_120838345.jpg

Heat pump in and on. Few bits of snagging to do and they'll come back to do a flush before handover.

Amazing how much a difference it makes having a tank with nearly instant hot water. Openenergymonitor will be running in a few mins, and maybe even the controls but I'll probably not touch any settings until they're ready for me to.
Do share a link once you’re on OEM! Although there won’t be much to see until it gets cooler.

Yeah, agree constant hot water is so much better than I used to have when I scheduled it on each morning & boosted for showers/baths.

One of my neighbours is having a heat pump installed by AIRA, they've had a team of about 8 guys here all week and i'm doubtful that they'll finish the install by today looking at some of the hardware still outside.

I don't know if my neighbour is having a particularly complex install, but based on some quick napkin maths i don't see how a) AIRA make any money from these installs* and b) how it would be possible to install a heat pump in every UK property before gas boilers are phased out.

*Just did a quick quote on my property and total costs are 13k (with 7.5k for the gov grant). Assuming they pay their guys a 150 day rate that would put labour expenses at £750/week per guy - so about 6k. With the cost of the heat pump itself + piping and any other materials, along with disposal costs of current hardware, including general business overheads - their margins must be real thin.

One of my neighbours is having a heat pump installed by AIRA, they've had a team of about 8 guys here all week and i'm doubtful that they'll finish the install by today looking at some of the hardware still outside.

I don't know if my neighbour is having a particularly complex install, but based on some quick napkin maths i don't see how a) AIRA make any money from these installs* and b) how it would be possible to install a heat pump in every UK property before gas boilers are phased out.

*Just did a quick quote on my property and total costs are 13k (with 7.5k for the gov grant). Assuming they pay their guys a 150 day rate that would put labour expenses at £750/week per guy - so about 6k. With the cost of the heat pump itself + piping and any other materials, along with disposal costs of current hardware, including general business overheads - their margins must be real thin.
I had aira round and a chat with their sales guy in Scotland. They're going after the octopus market so they're running at a loss at the moment to build backlog. I didn't go with them in the end because their design includes a 4-port buffer that's always piped up with 4 ports so it seems a risk of baking inefficiency into the system.

It depends how it’s plumbed in.

The one on my installation is a volumiser, meaning it’s simply there to add water volume to the heating circuit. It’s extra water it needs to heat but it also makes sure that there is enough water in the system to defrost the heat pump at all times (say all your TRVs closed on your rads).

It may be plumbed as a buffer where you effectively have 2 water loops in your system and they mix in the buffer. One between the heat pump and buffer, the other between your radiators and buffer. There are two pumps on the system one pumps heated water to the buffer from the heat pump and the pumps water around the rads which takes heat from the buffer.

The latter bakes in more inefficiencies than the former.

We probably don’t need the buffer, we have TRVs on most rads but they are all fully open and we have a lot of them despite only having a sub-6kw heat loss. That said we do have 10mm plastic micro ore which is not ideal for flow rates and reduces water volume.

They install it as the manufacturer requires it, once the warranty is done, I might fit a bypass and some valves to ‘delete it’.

There are scenarios where a buffer is needed so it’s best not to dismiss it out of hand.

Had Aira round yesterday, nice enough person to talk to about things but as expected, was not technical and thus unable to answer questions about the logistics of the install or design specifications.

Have been quoted a smidge under £5k for a 6kW Pump and a 250L cylinder and they seem extremely keen to get business, offering a potential install first week of September and a Technical Survey the week after next.

I guess I will only find out the specifics once I have agreed to a technical survey, but so far I'm pretty impressed with how they have operated. Far more efficient and keen than Octopus are/were and the less said about local plumbers the better. None want to call back, which means they are either very busy or very disorganised - either way, hard to muster the enthusiasm to keep trying.

Any suggestions on other options to explore?

Yes, their initial quote came in more expensive and they were set on a smaller water cylinder (150L) which I felt wasn't ideal. Aria is not without their own 'issues' such as the baked-in Weather Compensation Curve, but they are absolutely mustard when it comes to answering questions thus far - although you would expect that of them, as they want my money.

Perhaps I am in a weird situation here as my desire for a Heat Pump is more borne out of reducing the size of my current system install (I want the hot water tank in the upstairs landing cupboard and the cold tank in the loft gone) and spending money on an ASHP setup seems more sensible long-term than replacing my gas boiler with a modern one and getting an unvented cylinder installed.

Back
Top Bottom