Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

Associate
So with that. You don't need a hot water tank? People with combi boilers can just do a swap?
That is the hot water tank effectively. You can even use it with a gas boiler to improve efficiency, though I'm not sure it would be that financially worthwhile.

It's more like an energy buffer to create hot water on demand. Once the temp drops inside, the heat pump kicks in and keeps the water heated perpetually.

Associate
Sounds like a small thermal store to me. The small size being the limiting factor which they are selling as a plus point.
I would say it's more a thermal buffer and heat exchanger system.

The small size in testing means effectively it never ran out of hot water, as shutting the water off meant it regained temperature very quickly for successive showers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doing my whole house with heatpumps, central ventilation and dehumidification, estimate cost at this point is 15k
I think I'd have to make 160 years old to make that cost back with the projected savings.

Hopefully this combi style heatpump becomes popular and I can change when my boiler packs up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to make a post about this when i saw the videos but didn’t get round to it.

It’s a great development for those who don’t have a large space to put a full water cylinder.

I don’t think it’s ground breaking, but clearly they have taken first principles approach to what you can achieve with a modern heat pump and it’s great to see.

Whether it’s a thermal store or not, who cares? All that matters is that it can supply a reasonable amount of hot water to supply a normal sized family home.

Frankly it’s just great work.

I think I'd have to make 160 years old to make that cost back with the projected savings.

That sounds like a higher end install, the additions are not required to do a heat pump. A more typical ‘minimum viable install’ will be a fraction of that after the grant.

Soldato
This is going to be a game-changer for people who don't have an airing cupboard, or they have one but it's too small, like what I was told from Octopus.

They have basically inverted the cylinder. The hot water from the heat pump (or boiler) flows into the main body, not the coils.
And hot water on demand flows through the coils and is heated as used, just like a combi-boiler. No expansion vessel is needed, no legionnaires cycle needed as there is minimal water stored, and it's always flushed through the coils.
It will fit inside a standard kitchen cupboard under the worktop. There are a range of sizes available if you have a bit more space.

My situation too. 100L tank to be replaced with 150L but they require 1.8m height and I only have 1.5m. Heat Geek Mini Store would be perfect and simpler to plumb.

I suggested simply installing it where the existing 2 water storage tanks are for the central heating. Would need another few hundred quid for a structural survey on top of the planning permission for sound and location of the heat pump.

Those regs really need to change so I don't end up with the HP at the end of the garden facing towards the house and neighbours!

Associate
my potential install hit a few road blocks.

I had to have a survey done testing artex to see if it had asbestos. Luckily that came back clear.

Today the engineering team came to do a visit.

They went around making final decisions on radiator sizes and placement.

Decided where the heat pump would go and that they will board my loft out and put the water cylinder up there.

Things were going so well and he said it was going to be a easier Install than most.

Then they started doing a load test on the electricity which was fine until they discovered my supply is on a loop.

So now I have to wait for the DNO to unloop the house. Potentially having to dig up mine or my neighbours gardens.

Spoke to my neighbour about it after and luckily he was pretty chilled about it.

Soldato
The DNO should sort it but it will take a few weeks. They may come back and clear you to install anyway.

A heat pump isn’t a significant load unless you need a really big one.

Soldato
Anyone put their ASHP in to cooling mode? Tempted to run some cool water through the floor to bring down temps at home, but appreciate that going too cool can cause pipes to condensate where they're not appropriately insulated.

Associate
Anyone put their ASHP in to cooling mode? Tempted to run some cool water through the floor to bring down temps at home, but appreciate that going too cool can cause pipes to condensate where they're not appropriately insulated.
It doesn't work very well in cooling mode unlike A2A heatpumps. I couldn't in anycase as a condition of the payment scheme.(heat only). Once the payments stop it would just be a wire connection to be changed.

Soldato
I wouldn’t, all my radiator pipes run through an un-insulated suspended floor, that’s a recipe for disaster if they condensate.

It doesn't work very well in cooling mode unlike A2A heatpumps. I couldn't in anycase as a condition of the payment scheme.(heat only). Once the payments stop it would just be a wire connection to be changed.
Are you on the RHI?

All is new installs for the grant and don’t have such a condition. That said, I don’t know if my heat pump has the capability

Associate
I wouldn’t, all my radiator pipes run through an un-insulated suspended floor, that’s a recipe for disaster if they condensate.

Are you on the RHI?

All is new installs for the grant and don’t have such a condition. That said, I don’t know if my heat pump has the capability
Yes, RHI until next August. Our pipes run under floorboards so not an option.

Back
Top Bottom