Hellblade II: Senua's Saga [RELEASE DATE 21 MAY 2024]

Soldato
It's doing abysmal numbers on Steam though, there is just no audience for these kind of games. I doubt the developers will survive the chopping block :(

Well it's £50 on steam, or you can just subscribe to gamepass and play, it's not really a surprise steam numbers are low.
I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into it, but I don't think I could pay that for a game that's going to last around 7 hours.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah no way I'd pay Steam prices for something as short as this. It was £8 on game pass, £8 for up to 8 hours of gameplay? Seems fair to me.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Played around an hour and it's more of the same, which I'm not in the mood for today. But more than that I'm not sold on it graphically.

Lumen is not a fit for purpose ray tracing system. It fools enough on their nanite landscapes at night, but comes up short with interior GI and daytime lighting. We really need hardware options here and a better all round implementation.

Senua herself doesn't have as realistic features as the previews showed. Her skin texture is often too uniformly shiny, and I swear her eyes were more realistic in the last game - more semi-transparency in the various parts of the eye that led to them being more alive looking. Turning off DLSS (qual) and FG and going back to TSR with no SR to mimick native somehow looks better, I may be imagining it, but ofc the frames tank so it could be the movie framerate effect.

And nanite on the whole. It works well, everything is detailed. But Epic have pulled the curtain too far back on the wizard of oz, and instead of looking at the landscapes and thinking wow, I'm just seeing the same nanite tech they've shown in all their demos.

You could argue this is better than AW2, but I don't think it has the same scale. Random nanite geometry all around does not make this a masterpiece of graphical quality. To me AW2 is still the better looking game, despite a lot of its softness.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
You are imagining it.

TSR is soft and blurry when you look at finer details:

DLSS or DLAA are the only options for clean and sharp high fidelity rendering

The quote was in a paragraph referring to Senua's skin complexion, not the overall environment. If TSR is softening effects then it makes sense how it can be preferable with skin.

That said I've loaded up the scene where she ties up the enslaver before going in to the village, to test. The differences up close are negligible, but I would probably go for DLSS on closer inspection. Also I turn sharpness to manual and have it to 0. It's too much at other settings.

I'll say this, she's a nightmare to get the same photo angle. Always moving her eyes or mouth, looking to the sides. Especially in the Draughr Ceremony.

Last edited:
Associate
is it much different to the first?
I only played it for a couple of hours before i gave up.
This was the same for me, wanted to really like it but just couldn't quite get into it. Might give this one ago as is on Gamepass but can't see me getting hooked. Looks amazing though graphically.

Associate
There's nothing scary about this game.
The puzzles can be a little frustrating if anything but that's about it
tell that to my heart as it goes into overdrive! A couple minutes into the start of the game youre running through a cave with voices in your head hurrying you along - was wearing headphones and my palms started sweating and my heart beat was pretty elevated! It's the last thing I want after a day of work and putting the kids to bed hahahha

edit - im talking about the first one. not the newest one. I think I'm derailing the thread i'll stop talking about the first game now :p

Last edited:
Associate
is it much different to the first?
I only played it for a couple of hours before i gave up.
I don't think they made a different enough game. The audiovisual experience was huge step up but playing it was very much the same. From the walking around with voices in your head to the combat to the puzzles. It only took me about 7 hours to play through.

Associate
tell that to my heart as it goes into overdrive! A couple minutes into the start of the game youre running through a cave with voices in your head hurrying you along - was wearing headphones and my palms started sweating and my heart beat was pretty elevated! It's the last thing I want after a day of work and putting the kids to bed hahahha

edit - im talking about the first one. not the newest one. I think I'm derailing the thread i'll stop talking about the first game now :p

Same I played first one before going to bed and didn't sleep all night, had a crap day at work following day. Will give this one a go at some point just to see the gfx though

Back
Top Bottom