Helldivers 2

Associate
First experience with a cheating player earlier.

They were only level 15/16 and had chinese type characters in their name. Played 2 games with them and they were calling down seemingly infinite stratagems - Loads of Gattling/Rocket/Autocannon sentries.

At the mission stats screen after - 0 stratagems used.

I recorded it with Nvidia and am uploading it to Youtube but a 120fps 4K video is massive so it'll take forever.

It really ruined the game, there was no real danger at any point (and we were playing on Suicidal difficulty). It makes you wonder why people do it to be honest.

Hope they stamp that out ASAP.

Just watched your video. While he definitely looks like he's cheating, bugs on suicide are easy as hell on the current MO planets, especially on suicide so most of the time you're standing about waiting for nothing. You'd think if these planets are meant to be swarmed with bugs, it would be like the last Automaton MO with constant patrols.

Me and my brother have been playing Helldive on our own and only dying a couple of times, so something isn't right.

Soldato
Yeah, it's a shame that the devs are being punished for Sonys decision.

The reviews and reddit are a little toasty right now.

tX2dxWH.jpeg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thing is as well - I can't even see there being any perks for linking a PSN account and it shouldn't require that to be able to ban people who are cheating from the game or what is the point of Game Guard...

I'm not that bothered as such about reviving my PSN account but I dislike the way every and everything wants to require separate accounts these days, while it might be a small thing individually it all adds up when you need 2 dozen extra accounts for various games, etc. and that just becomes hassle, so likely I just won't bother.

Man of Honour
Thing is as well - I can't even see there being any perks for linking a PSN account and it shouldn't require that to be able to ban people who are cheating from the game or what is the point of Game Guard...

I'm not that bothered as such about reviving my PSN account but I dislike the way every and everything wants to require separate accounts these days, while it might be a small thing individually it all adds up when you need 2 dozen extra accounts for various games, etc. and that just becomes hassle, so likely I just won't bother.

An account for everything these days, often multiple accounts for some games. I’m absolutely sick of it. I miss the days of those giant PC game boxes, a fat manual and none of these digital services.

Soldato

I'm very much in the same mindset, I had a ton of issues with a Bethesda account login process causing crashes for me when doom eternal launched. It's left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I CBA to even entertain the possibility of getting into a similar situation.

Soldato
Isn't this because of Sony demanding it? Not the devs?
While it is Sony who want the account linking, the developers have made the situation what it is. PSN account linking was always part of the deal on PC, the developers knew this.

The developers turned off the requirement while they dealt with the launch server capacity issues, and then just didn't turn it back on for months. If they'd turned it back on as soon as the server issues were dealt with there might have been some backlash but nothing compared with the reaction they're facing now.

Hopefully this doesn't hurt them long term (beyond Helldivers), as they've caused themselves and Sony considerable reputational damage... although they seem to be working a reasonably effective campaign to shift all of the blame back into Sony.

Soldato
Yeah you have to wonder - although Sony is painted as the bad guy here - if Arrowhead knew this was the deal all along (which they must have done?) but didn't enforce it, then they're unfortunately the authors of their own misfortune. Maybe they figured people are just so used to cross-services like Ubisoft, they'd just go 'whatever' and sign up? But the whole sale to non PS countries makes it so much worse.

I mean we've all done it at work; put something you don't want to do off for so long you can't put it off any longer, but you've left it so long now... that it's far, far worse than it was if you'd have dealt with it at the start.

Soldato
Arrowhead aren't working a campaign, they are jumping on board with it - at least publicly one which was already well underway and going to happen anyway. They are trying to save face with consumers, nothing more.

Arrowhead should have been communicating shortly after launch reguarly, that's all they had to do about this "requirement", but they failed that one minor mission.

Personally I closed my PSN account years ago as I only had physical media and sold my playstation and games after one of the numerous Sony breaches. Now to be mandated to sign back up, I'm not keen on that as it's a company I made a choice to drop years ago.

I'm also wondering under Steam TOS, if this behaviour is acceptable, what for the future? devs can get away with paywalling games months/years after release if they can easily switch out requirements by front loading the purchase page with vague "requirements" which aren't at time of purchase required to play.

Soldato
While it is Sony who want the account linking, the developers have made the situation what it is. PSN account linking was always part of the deal on PC, the developers knew this.

The developers turned off the requirement while they dealt with the launch server capacity issues, and then just didn't turn it back on for months. If they'd turned it back on as soon as the server issues were dealt with there might have been some backlash but nothing compared with the reaction they're facing now.

Hopefully this doesn't hurt them long term (beyond Helldivers), as they've caused themselves and Sony considerable reputational damage... although they seem to be working a reasonably effective campaign to shift all of the blame back into Sony.

Sony has changed the terms after the fact. PSN for PC games was always optional not mandatory (post #1783)

Back
Top Bottom