Help an OSX noob 'learn the ropes' (potential OSX sticky ideas)

leezer3 said:
ATM, NeoOffice is only a PPC binary though, and won't work on the new Intel macs. The MacOSX X11 version will work on the intel machines, but isn't as well integrated with the rest of the OS currently.

-Leezer-
Is it? I have a proper Mac and not one of the 'spawn of the devil' Intels. Does that mean that at the moment there is no OpenOffice available for Intel Macs? :(

AJUK said:
Is it? I have a proper Mac and not one of the 'spawn of the devil' Intels. Does that mean that at the moment there is no OpenOffice available for Intel Macs? :(

The 'original' OpenOffice will run on the Intel macs, but not NeoOffice. The whole trouble is that Java will not run under Rosetta (The PPC emu layer), and therefore apps heavily dependant on Java won't run without a universal binary.

-Leezer-

Though the following is not really useful, it does have a gee-whiz factor that is undeniable. Steve Jobs uses the feature in his keyntes all the time.

It is this. Hold down shift when minimizing or maximizing windows or whilst using the Exposé functions I mentioned earlier. It causes the scaling and "genie effect" functions to perform in slow motion; windows gracefuly pirouette across your display.

It's useless but it's marvelous.

Last edited:
I at some point would like to get a macbook pro, some of this stuff is really handy, even if i dont have one yet ( :( ).

Does OS X have a system restore feature like XP does, on the very very slight chance that you may need it?

Last edited:
EVH said:
Apple + Shift + 3 (Total Screendump)

Apple + Shift 4 (Crosshair section screendump)

...same as above + Spacebar when the crosshair appears (Individual Window screendump)

this is cool! I used macs for 2 years and I didn't know that.

i would add aMSN to the list of useful software.
microsoft MSN does not work with webcams. aMSN let you use your MSN account with webcams.

YAZU, to clean the registry (you shouldn't need it).

ISOlator, generates ISO files with drag'n'drop.

MACtheRIPPER, for reauthoring DVDs.

File Syncronization, for syncronising 2 folders.

If you want try setting up 'hot corners' that can then minimize windows, show desktop, show widgets etc. try them out

go to system preferences > dashboard and expose

and just have a mess around

also i recommend downloading 'sizzling keys' which allows you to change tracks in itunes whilst being in a different program etc. it also comes up with a nice little window to show you track name, artist name and album cover. i use apple + f14 as play; apple + f15 as previous track; apple +f16 as next track

works well

to get the album covers in itunes select an album and right click and get info, then you can just drag in any picture from the web or whatever.

if you hold down apple and esc keys you should also go into frontrow, as front row should be installed by defualt on your intel mac.

hope that helps

ian

YOU MUST WATCH THIS :D http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2446159677494585380&q=mac

PS. can anyone help me in getting GIMP installed on my mac (g4 1.5ghz) as i am 100% confused about how to install it as it talks about having to install other things etc.

Last edited:
ClamXav looks good for AV, not that you need it but may stop you passing on anything to Windows users. A universal binary is being developed but the ppc binary will work on intel macs with a bit of poking.

I found a universal binary (v2.0.2 rc4) for openoffice here and i must say it does load a lot quicker than using the ppc one.

Also Parallels Workstation for MacOSX (30 day trial or £21) is probably worth a download if you can't be bothered with boot camp or need XP but don't play games.

Last edited:
AJUK said:
Don't waste money on Office for Mac
except that it includes Entourage which is far superior to Outlook. And I'm a fan of Outlook and use it on my work XP machine.

Entourage has far superior features to handle emails. Better rules, redirects etc. I use a mac running 24/7 to receive and process emails, redirecting selected emails to my blackberry so it doesn't get filled with dross.

Entourage is well worth the time getting to know it.

Celestial Caravan said:
except that it includes Entourage which is far superior to Outlook. And I'm a fan of Outlook and use it on my work XP machine.

Entourage has far superior features to handle emails. Better rules, redirects etc. I use a mac running 24/7 to receive and process emails, redirecting selected emails to my blackberry so it doesn't get filled with dross.

Entourage is well worth the time getting to know it.

ok, but the newest version of MAIL is also very good.

Right Ok since this is a thread about Mac, I have some questions for you all!

I have just got myself a Macbook Pro - im not a complete newb to MacOS X as I have used it at work for 3 years, but this is my first Mac at home and there are certain things that I would like to do and need some assistance.

1. At present I have my e-mails all stored on my home server (Windows 2000 Serve Box). All this is, is a .pst outlook file that sits on my server - I tell Outlook 2003 to connect to that file through the mapped drive to my server. That way I can access my e-mails through outlook from both my Windows based laptops. Now I have got a Macbook, Im guessing that this isnt going to be possible and need some way of having my e-mails stored on my server, but that can be accessed by both Windows, and OS X. I would like to use OSX's mail client as it looks very nice, but Im having trouble getting it to work.

2. How can I tell it to connect to drives on my other laptop and server everytime Mac OSX Boots up? I can't find an obvious option.

Think thats it for now - im sure there will be shed loads more questions :)

Back
Top Bottom