Help an OSX noob 'learn the ropes' (potential OSX sticky ideas)

stuppy you might need an imap mail server to get the e-mail working, there are a fair few to choose from. Personally I'd use linux/postfix for the task but as your running a windows box that would only be possible with either a wipe and reload or get a copy of VMware server (free) and run a linux virtual machine with postfix in your windows box.

i'd like to know the answer to 2 as well.

i think it is possible to share your mail if you use EUDORA.
EUDORA can install the mail folder on a separate drive (or server) and files can be shared with MACs. it's pretty neat. you shouldn't miss Mail or Outlook.
It imports easily your Mail or outlook mail.

muddyfox470 said:

I was about to ask how the person in the video had gotten the terminal window to be transparent but I just figured it out for myself. For those that don't know, go to 'Terminal' -> 'Window Settings' then select 'Color' from the drop down box at the top of the dialog. The level of transparency can be adjusted from here.

Edit: One more thing. I just ran the delocalizer program which is listed in the must have OSX apps thread. It managed to free 1955mb in total!!!

Last edited:
Ok I have more questions.

I have been playing again tonight and certain things are bugging me on my new Mac.

1. I connected my 2 Maxtor External Drives up by FireWire. How the hell do I share them so that my Windows Machines can access them? I can find the drives fine on MacOSX when they areplugged into my Windows Laptop, but not the other way around.

2. Im still struggling with the e-mail problem. I couldnt find Any settings in Eudora to store mail on a different computer and connect remotely, and Entourage 2004 has no setting like that either.

3. I cannot get Flip4Mac to work either. When I try and play .wmv files in Quicktime like it says it should be able to, it doesnt work. Ive installed it using the option to run under Rosetta aswell and no luck.

4. When I close the lid of my MacBook , what actually happens? Does the computer go to sleep? Is Sleep mode where all the power is off? There is a glowing light on the front of the notebook when its shut so there is obviously power somewhere still?

5. Nobody still not know how to mount network drives upon start up? Im thinking maybe Automater could be used to do it?

1. I connected my 2 Maxtor External Drives up by FireWire. How the hell do I share them so that my Windows Machines can access them? I can find the drives fine on MacOSX when they areplugged into my Windows Laptop, but not the other way around.

Have you turned on Windows sharing in System Preferences?

2. Im still struggling with the e-mail problem. I couldnt find Any settings in Eudora to store mail on a different computer and connect remotely, and Entourage 2004 has no setting like that either.

Dunno

3. I cannot get Flip4Mac to work either. When I try and play .wmv files in Quicktime like it says it should be able to, it doesnt work. Ive installed it using the option to run under Rosetta aswell and no luck.

Dunno

4. When I close the lid of my MacBook , what actually happens? Does the computer go to sleep? Is Sleep mode where all the power is off? There is a glowing light on the front of the notebook when its shut so there is obviously power somewhere still?

I believe it keeps power to the RAM which is how it comes back on so quickly. My brother says his Powerbook can last for days in that state.

5. Nobody still not know how to mount network drives upon start up? Im thinking maybe Automater could be used to do it?

Dunno.

2/5 aint bad :cool:

To automount shares at login:

Firstly, mount them, then:

Go in to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

automount1.png

Click the + near the bottom, then this will pop up. Click the share you want to auto-mount in the side bar, then click Add.

automount2.png

Thanks I sorted out the Mounting thing using Apple Script. Its better cause I have to click it to run it so if im out and about with my MacBook and the drives aint there to connect to, im not gonna be having problems with it trying to mount drives that aint there. :)

Yes Ive enabled the Windows sharing thing. I use the same Username and password on my windows and mac machines. I can see the Macbook from Windows, but all it does is lets me view "Stuppy" home dir which is no good to me.

Also,

I have imported my bookmarks from Firefox on my Dell laptop to Firefox on my Macbook - but when i select hte bookmarks menu I have no icons - is that right? Ive attached a picture of what I mean - on Windows there are icons on the right for each website. Ive looked for a plugin but cannot find anything.

bookmarks.jpg

Firefox website icons (not sure of official name :confused: ) are actually viewable through "manage bookmarks"...

However, I don't think it will show up in the normal browser window..

Yeah they show up in the Bookmark Manager, but not on the list when you click it in the Finder Bar at the top. On Windows they are viewable on the list - surely there must be a way to make them viewable?

Berserker said:
So, what tips, tricks, free software, etc. do you know? Anything goes so long as it's legal and within the forum rules. No matter how obvious you may think it is, it may not be obvious to me. :)

:)

Get yourself a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner so that when its all how you want it you can "Ghost" it off:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Read this site daily (and its forums):
http://www.macrumors.com/

Go here for the Mac version of the OcUK forums:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/index.php?

Go here if you have problems with anything:
http://www.macfixit.com/

Get youself Cee Pee You (neat little CPU usage app that sits in menu bar):
http://www.unsanity.com/ceepeeyou

Get Mac Janitor to run maintenance tasks:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html
(Note: not sure how this runs on Intel but Ive not heard any probs)

There are many more (see archived thread for a much better list... sticky that one maybe, I think it was requested in the thread).

Last edited:
Click and drag various functions to create a workflow for something useful eg renaming loads of files numerically (thats what Ive used it for).

Best thing to do is play with it and see what it can do.

Mat said:
Best thing to do is play with it and see what it can do.

that's right. it's like creating a "macro" in MS Office...but applied to a whole operating system! the ROBOT icon says it all!

you can tell the MAC: look for such files, rename them like this and add this date to the name of the file.

Just a note for any Mac 'noobs'...

Mac is short for 'Macintosh'. Therefore it is not an acronyn, hence 'MAC' should be written as 'Mac'.

MAC = 'Media Access Control'... which is a unique hex number that Ethernet NICs have.

Someone asked about what happens when you close the lid of a mac laptop and it goes into sleep mode. Basically the HD is powered down but the ram stays powered and I think the processor still runs but at very slow clock cycles. Sleep mode is not turning off the computer, you can leave apps and documents open and just close the lid and come back later and open it up and it's all there.

It's safe to travel like this (HD is not running) and I regualrly commute with my powerbook G4 in my backpack like this. I don't think I've restarted it for about a month now and I've never turned it off I don't think. It's never failled for me so far, but even if it did, just before it goes to sleep it creates a disk image of what your doing, so if there is a power failure it restores from that (this is similar to an Xp hibernate I think).

Back
Top Bottom