Help, Computer build not working :(

Caporegime
yeah that can be down to bent cpu socket pins,short circuit/psu not compatible

dont buy anything till you've tested outside the case/checked cpu pins/tested front panel switch by shorting the pins on mb

if after all that its still not booting id look to borrow another psu to try

Soldato
I'd first try shorting the power jumpers for the switch to rule out the button/case, saves you taking it out of the case if there is no need

Then yes, take it out of the case and set it all up (usually on top of the motherboard box is a good place)

Associate
yup next move is to take it out the case and just connect the PSU.
if it starts up again with nothing a all connected then check the cpu pins. if they ate ok try a different psu

if it doesnt power up
short the power + - on the panel header and see if it powers up

Associate
Sounds like the PSU is checking the relevant connections, finding that there is a problem and shutting itself down.

1) Check the 24 pin (the big power connector to the motherboard), is securely fitted to the motherboard.

2) Check the smaller CPU connector is correctly/securely connected to the motherboard.

3) The wires to the front of the case, e.g. power LED, HDD LED, double check vs the motherboard instructions. Why because as others have said it easy to get mixed up there.

4) This is the important bit, sometimes the wiring for the case has a reverse polarity issue, what you have to do is turn the power LED wire upside down etc.

5) Is the CPU fan connected to the CPU header on the motherboard?

6) Stupid question, I presume the memory is fitted securely and correctly to the board, if the board does a self test and find this missing it may shut down. TRY ONE STICK OF MEMORY AT A TIME.

Regards

Von

Associate
OP
Sounds like the PSU is checking the relevant connections, finding that there is a problem and shutting itself down.

1) Check the 24 pin (the big power connector to the motherboard), is securely fitted to the motherboard.

2) Check the smaller CPU connector is correctly/securely connected to the motherboard.

3) The wires to the front of the case, e.g. power LED, HDD LED, double check vs the motherboard instructions. Why because as others have said it easy to get mixed up there.

4) This is the important bit, sometimes the wiring for the case has a reverse polarity issue, what you have to do is turn the power LED wire upside down etc.

5) Is the CPU fan connected to the CPU header on the motherboard?

6) Stupid question, I presume the memory is fitted securely and correctly to the board, if the board does a self test and find this missing it may shut down. TRY ONE STICK OF MEMORY AT A TIME.

Regards

Von

1/2 - yes both connected tightly to the mobo
3 - I have checked but i have also completely removed these from the board and it still doesnt work
4-i've already removed all Fpanel wires so shouldnt be that
5-Yes the fan is defo connected.
6- nothing is a stupid question but yes both RAM is connected and i have tried putting only one stick in and switching them round and both things happen. I have even swapped the RAM to a confirmed working set and something.

Associate
OP
Ok i have a couple of things i want to run past you lot which could be the problem...

1- Is the power supply wattage and 12v rail powerful enough? could it be a lack of juice?
2- Could the motherboard be broken? how would i test this?
3- Could the processor be broken? again how would i test this? (dont really want to keep taking it in and out as worried i will break it.)

All the other components are working, as checked RAM same thing, taken it out the case same thing, tested the PSU same thing as well.

Associate
I'd say breadboard it. Take it out of the chassis and place it on a cardboard box, install CPU, cooler, RAM, hook it up to a monitor and switch it on. If it doesn't turn on automatically- great! Plug in a power switch or short the two front panel switch pins with a screwdriver- make sure that you're plugging it in to the right one!

If that works, start adding more components until we can rule out those. If it still works fine, it's probably a short in the case due to incorrect mouting or a rogue screw!

It sounds like hassle, but fault finding outside the case saves you a lot of headaches.

Associate
OP
I'd say breadboard it. Take it out of the chassis and place it on a cardboard box, install CPU, cooler, RAM, hook it up to a monitor and switch it on. If it doesn't turn on automatically- great! Plug in a power switch or short the two front panel switch pins with a screwdriver- make sure that you're plugging it in to the right one!

If that works, start adding more components until we can rule out those. If it still works fine, it's probably a short in the case due to incorrect mouting or a rogue screw!

It sounds like hassle, but fault finding outside the case saves you a lot of headaches.

Yer ive tried that, i have taken it out the case with only the PSU, CPU and Ram installed and as soon as i flick the switch on the PSU it boots for about 2 seconds, and then dies and even if i clear the CMOS it boots again for 2 seconds and dies. I can rule out the PSU as i put it into my other machine and that worked, so do i need to return my CPU and motherboard??

Associate
as you've tried the PSU paperclip trick and the PSU seems to be ok I woud now assume motherboard failure.

as you are going to have to remove the CPU anyway you can check for any pin damage when you do.

Associate
OP
as you've tried the PSU paperclip trick and the PSU seems to be ok I woud now assume motherboard failure.

as you are going to have to remove the CPU anyway you can check for any pin damage when you do.

Yer i know the PSU is safe and i ahve removed the CPU and all seems ok nothing is different.... right motherboard back to your home.... Great.....

Associate

So they did, I was searching the thread for RAM.

So I assume it doesn't boot without being in the case, with one stick of RAM in slot 1, and nothing else plugged in?

RAM is on the QVL and you've tried multiple sticks on their own. Which doesn't leave many choices, board, psu or chip.

Can't see from the photo, but I assume the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header? not that it's likely to stop it booting.

Associate
OP
So they did, I was searching the thread for RAM.

So I assume it doesn't boot without being in the case, with one stick of RAM in slot 1, and nothing else plugged in?

RAM is on the QVL and you've tried multiple sticks on their own. Which doesn't leave many choices, board, psu or chip.

Can't see from the photo, but I assume the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header? not that it's likely to stop it booting.

No it doesn't boot even out of the case, yes tried one RAM but the RAMS ok as tried booting the computer with tested ram and still no luck so its not that that's tripping it, the PSU again I've tested and all is well with that. I have deiced to send the MOBO back as the processor looks fine and yes the fan is in the right slot

Associate
Just read the manual and saw that they had two fan headers next to each other, and that front is indeed cpu.

Used to them being on the other side of the cpu closer to the case.

You seem to have run out of things to diagnose, and motherboard seems to be the best place to start, dead cpu without overclocking is very rare, and you were getting some power to the board.

Hope you get it sorted then, although it's better to have boards fail quietly than with a bang and make the rest of the components suspect.

Back
Top Bottom