Help launch a new case!

Caporegime
My thinking was it's better to pull the heat out of the case than push hot air in.

I've not had a chance to test temps much but CPU idle's at 30C and one run of Heaven 4.0 resulted in 73C on the 980 GTX.

Soldato
Nice. I never tested the various push/pull set ups, I just fitted mine in push, wish I'd messed around with it a bit now if only for purposes of self interest.

It's a great case, offers everything a proper SFF case should and about half the size of most "SFF" cases from some of the mainstream companies.

Soldato
Vincent, I meant to ask you about that PSU. I read around that it's fan can be noisy, how do you find it?

I've caved in and ordered me a silver M1, had an unexpected bonus at work so I thought I'd get one whilst they have stock.

Associate
How's that PSU ? is it fairly well behaved in relation to the fan ? previous model had some issues in regards to that.
Not sure i like those flat ribbon cables, have fun routing those ??

Nice choice on the board and CPU btw, probably the only choice really, the impact range

Caporegime
I've not had a lot of time to play around with it.

My TV is 4k and has DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0

At the moment via DisplayPort the Geforce 980GTX will output 4k fullscreen (great) but when I switch to 1080p it'll only output in the middle of the screen, Even playing with the scaler settings, I can't get it to change.

I need a Mini HDMI 2.0 -> HDMI 2.0 cable which I am hoping will allow fullscreen 1080p, so I can test some games out.

Not much point trying them at 4k as one GPU won't be sufficient unless it's an older game.

Caporegime
Right, just been testing it for an hour.

I don't find the PSU fan even noticeable, but the coil whine from the 980 GTX is a bit annoying when running games/benchmarks. I was sitting less than 1 metre away though...

Now that I've overclocked the CPU to 4.5Ghz, the noisiest thing in the case are the fans on the radiator though, and only when under load.

Heaven 4.0 benchmark at 1080p was 1675ish and I ran the Arkham Origins benchmark with DX11 everything and Full Phsyx at 1080p and it got:

Min FPS: 52
Max FPS: 111
Average FPS: 76

Not sure if that's about on par with most 980 GTX's?

The coolest thing was that i loaded steam on to it and instantly had access to all the games installed on my main rig, via streaming.

I tested Spec Ops: The Line which stream at 1080p and there was no perceptable lag. I had the screens side by side so could see the host screen vs the streamed screen and they were bang on.

#technology

Soldato
Not an uber build as I don't have the disposable income to throw at it, I've just migrated over my current system. Will probably upgrade over the coming 12 months but TBH this still does most of what I need.

The bits waiting to go in bit of a black and white theme going on:

jaxuyw.jpg

99% buttoned up and done:

wl3uxy.jpg

2lsin2s.jpg

23v0uop.jpg

MSI Z77IA-E53
Cryorig C1 with Thermalright TY-147 (amazing fan BTW)
Team Group 1600mhz RAM 8GB
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Palit Kalm X 750ti
Corsair CS550M (80+ gold, silent, can't praise it any higher, never heard it)
2x Corsair SP120 as case fans

Cable management wasn't too bad, but then I don't have any PCIe power to run so just a single modular SATA power.

Soldato
TBH I was expecting a headache with the PSU, but it was completely smooth sailing. I just did a quick dry run to see how things would go in then just installed it all without any hassle at all.

Incredibly enough there is more room internally than the much bigger Lian-Li case I migrated from, this thing runs way cooler and way quieter whilst being considerably smaller, which is crazy.

TBH the only thing that swayed me to keep my current rig rather than going big with the spec was the poor selection of SFX PSUs available, by all accounts the two Silverstone units are far from ideal and quite noisy, this Corsair has been silent from day one, I've never once heard the fan.

So I think I will keep things as they are until something better on the PSU front arrives, at the minute it copes admirably with 1920x1200 on high settings, so long as I keep the AA down or off it runs most things at 40-60fps which is fine for me.

Associate
The Silverstones really are the only option in the SFX range, the newest one, apart from a couple of lower end caps used is supposed to be really good, and the fan not too bad, although you could swap it for a noiseblocker or similar, but, if you go for the 600w model and under utilise it, the fan wont be a worry.

As for your comments, yes i've seen this many a time, sometimes, it really does pay to spend a little more and buy something that has been thought out properly, this case was such a success right out of the gate it's amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not an uber build as I don't have the disposable income to throw at it, I've just migrated over my current system. Will probably upgrade over the coming 12 months but TBH this still does most of what I need.

The bits waiting to go in bit of a black and white theme going on:

jaxuyw.jpg

99% buttoned up and done:

wl3uxy.jpg

2lsin2s.jpg

23v0uop.jpg

MSI Z77IA-E53
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Palit Kalm X 750ti

Cable management wasn't too bad, but then I don't have any PCIe power to run so just a single modular SATA power.

Case??

Associate
Edward78:

This whole thread is about the NCASE M1, which is a crowdfunded ITX case designed by an enthusiast. You might still be able to get hold of one at ncases.com, although they all might be gone.

Caporegime
23v0uop.jpg

MSI Z77IA-E53
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Palit Kalm X 750ti

The case fan on the one on the bottom.

Is that intake or exhaust?

I should probably add some to mine....

Back
Top Bottom