Help Me Decide, MKV(5): .:R32, ED30 or GTI

Man of Honour
that noise NEVER wears off :)
its also a nicer motorway wafter than a boosted 4pot

I'm a huge, huge fan of 6 cylinder engines. So much so I've often stated I wouldnt have Car X or Car Y because it hasn't got enough cylinders.

But honestly one of the few places it doesnt really matter is on the Motorway. Join Motorway. Get to speed. Engage cruise. Then it makes no odds if you have 4 cylinders or 6 or 8 or what. Infact actually in this situation the less cylinders you have the longer you can drive for before having to stop to refuel..

Associate
[TW]Fox;21692901 said:
I'm a huge, huge fan of 6 cylinder engines. So much so I've often stated I wouldnt have Car X or Car Y because it hasn't got enough cylinders.

But honestly one of the few places it doesnt really matter is on the Motorway. Join Motorway. Get to speed. Engage cruise. Then it makes no odds if you have 4 cylinders or 6 or 8 or what. Infact actually in this situation the less cylinders you have the longer you can drive for before having to stop to refuel..

true enough but then when you want to overtake something you get turbo lag or maybe even have to drog it a cog whereas the vr6 just goes effortlessly whatever rpm youre doing

Man of Honour
true enough but then when you want to overtake something you get turbo lag or maybe even have to drog it a cog whereas the vr6 just goes effortlessly whatever rpm youre doing

It's a Motorway. You don't need to floor it and accelerate around somebody to overtake. You just.. change lanes. You don't even need to adjust your speed most of the time.

No wonder half the forum whinges about mpg if they keep accelerating every time they need to pass somebody on the Motorway!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21692957 said:
It's a Motorway. You don't need to floor it and accelerate around somebody to overtake. You just.. change lanes. You don't even need to adjust your speed most of the time.

No wonder half the forum whinges about mpg if they keep accelerating every time they need to pass somebody on the Motorway!

maybe down in the quieter parts of the country but around congested parts its not so simple.

Associate
[TW]Fox;21692957 said:

when was the last time you drove down a congested mway/dual carriageway? lol

Man of Honour
when was the last time you drove down a congested mway/dual carriageway? lol

Last weekend over the bank holiday?

Are you guys seriously saying that if you are cruising at 70 and you come up behind someone doing 65 you pass them by accelerating hard up to what? 85? Then pull back in and slow down?

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;21693019 said:

Are you guys seriously saying that if you are cruising at 70 and you come up behind someone doing 65 you pass them by accelerating hard up to what? 85? Then pull back in and slow down?

No......but motorways elsewhere in the country have more than 2 cars on the road. For me I might be in the far left lane cruising at '60*' only to come across slower 40-50 mph hour.......

IMO I would rather overtake as fast/least amount of time as possible, safely obviously.

Associate
[TW]Fox;21693019 said:

stop being a pedantic *disguise swearing and don't insult*

left lane at 70 wagon doing 55. big line of traffic in middle lane doin 70+.
you now have a choice
A wait for god knows how long for a gap big enough for you to get in without accelerating (which btw doesnt leave you long because youre gaining on the wagon at 15 mph)? or

B accelerate into merge with middle lane traffic efortlessy and safely with a 3.2l vr6 up front?

at 70 mph the torque will be similer between an ed30 and an r32 BUT you have to wait for it with the turbo motor wheras its instant with the vr6

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21693019 said:

Driving down your neck of the woods was a breeze compared to up here... You have to remember the more congested it is the worse the lane discipline is making lane changes quiet hard. South coast peak traffic is probably equal to our off-peak?

Soldato
Never had any acceleration problems in my Golf GTI on congested motorways, people who think it struggles to quickly accelerate upon lane changing haven't driven one with a DSG box. Sure My Impreza has some turbo spooltime issues if I am unprepared and in the wrong gear, but didn't have this in the Golf GTI.

As for congested motorways, have you ever driven on the M5 during holiday season? Pretty sure Fox will have done so.

PS Mk5 GTI with DSG would be my fave, 30-35+ combined MPG, closer 40 on a careful run, and a very nice relaxing place to be.

Man of Honour
stop being a pedantic

left lane at 70 wagon doing 55. big line of traffic in middle lane doin 70+.
you now have a choice

I'm not being pedantic - I genuinelly dont see the need to shatter the speed limit every time you go round somebody on a Motorway to such an extent that the 230bhp offered by a Golf ED30 simply isn't sufficient! Its just bonkers. A Motorway 'overtake' is nothing like the same thing on a single carriageway A road where you genuinelly do slam your foot into the carpet and get past ASAP.

It's a Motorway, there isn't anyone coming the other way to head on into you whilst you go past somebody going slower and the speed limit is, after all, 70mph and not 100mph so quite what the requirement is to nail it every time you come up behind a guy doing 65 I've no idea.

No wonder some of you complain about motorway fuel economy, on a busy stretch you must be dumping a pile of fuel into the engine every few seconds and yo-yoing your way down the road :eek:

There is NOTHING wrong with a Golf ED30 for Motorway driving.

Driving down your neck of the woods was a breeze compared to up here... You have to remember the more congested it is the worse the lane discipline is making lane changes quiet hard. South coast peak traffic is probably equal to our off-peak?

What? The M27 (The South Coast Motorway) is a heavily congested Motorway. My last Motorway drive was on the M5 through Bristol on a bank holiday when half the North appeared to be going to Weston Super Mare. I know what a busy Motorway is like. My most regular Motorway trip is up towards Birmingham but I guess thats nice and quiet too? :p

Soldato
[QUOTE='[TW]
What? The M27 (The South Coast Motorway) is a heavily congested Motorway. My last Motorway drive was on the M5 through Bristol on a bank holiday when half the North appeared to be going to Weston Super Mare. I know what a busy Motorway is like. My most regular Motorway trip is up towards Birmingham but I guess thats nice and quiet too? :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my point, I have driven a busy friday rush hour M25 (lived in Uxbridge) and the M5 in holiday season, there is little between them.

Associate
[TW]Fox;21693545 said:
I'm not being pedantic - I genuinelly dont see the need to shatter the speed limit every time you go round somebody on a Motorway to such an extent that the 230bhp offered by a Golf ED30 simply isn't sufficient! Its just bonkers. A Motorway 'overtake' is nothing like the same thing on a single carriageway A road where you genuinelly do slam your foot into the carpet and get past ASAP.

It's a Motorway, there isn't anyone coming the other way to head on into you whilst you go past somebody going slower and the speed limit is, after all, 70mph and not 100mph so quite what the requirement is to nail it every time you come up behind a guy doing 65 I've no idea.

No wonder some of you complain about motorway fuel economy, on a busy stretch you must be dumping a pile of fuel into the engine every few seconds and yo-yoing your way down the road :eek:

There is NOTHING wrong with a Golf ED30 for Motorway driving.

What? The M27 (The South Coast Motorway) is a heavily congested Motorway. My last Motorway drive was on the M5 through Bristol on a bank holiday when half the North appeared to be going to Weston Super Mare. I know what a busy Motorway is like. My most regular Motorway trip is up towards Birmingham but I guess thats nice and quiet too? :p

yes you are and you add some exaggeration into the mix.
i never said the gti or ed30 were bad on a motorway i said the r32 is even better.

you dont understand what torque and hp actually are.
hp is a pub figure only of any use at high rpm it tells you nothing about what the engine is doing anywhere else

torque = grunt its the force that actually propels you
hp = workrate more = better but there are different ways to acheive it

70 mph in 6th on an r32 is around 2700 rpm at that rpm a stock r32 makes about 240 lb ft (which is intant with it being na) (that works out at 123 hp not that it means a thing)
i dont what rpm the gti and ed30 are doing but id guess at similer and youll be at or near peak torque but youll have throttle lag while you wait for the turbo to spool up

non of them cars have anywhere near 230 hp at 2700 rpm which shows how irrelvent hp is

are you seriously telling me you can get on even a semi busy motorway or dual carriageway and sit at 70mph never altering speed and still drive safely? if you are then youre a liar!

i never once mentioned rocketing off up the road if i wanted to do that i wouldnt leave it in 6th gear would i.
the bigger vr6 motor is more tractable than a blown 4 pot thats all iv ever said

Caporegime
If I can manage gaining speed to join a faster lane in 5th in a 1.6 Focus, I'm sure the OP could cope with doing it in a ED30. You use judgement, rather than hammering the throttle.

Associate
If I can manage gaining speed to join a faster lane in 5th in a 1.6 Focus, I'm sure the OP could cope with doing it in a ED30. You use judgement, rather than hammering the throttle.

correct but more instant power gives you more options and makes overtakes safer imo

Man of Honour
You keep implying that overtaking on a motorway is the same as doing it on a single carriageway A road!

It's pretty much just changing lane.

Associate
[TW]Fox;21693829 said:
You keep implying that overtaking on a motorway is the same as doing it on a single carriageway A road!

It's pretty much just changing lane.

and youre assuming i always sit at 70mph on motoroways.
theres a good chance the middle lane will be goin a fair bit quicker than 55mph add this to the idiots dont leave a safe gap

Soldato
and youre assuming i always sit at 70mph on motoroways.
theres a good chance the middle lane will be goin a fair bit quicker than 55mph add this to the idiots dont leave a safe gap
If someone doesn't leave a safe gap then what does it matter how quickly you accelerate - surely you wouldn't pull into it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom