Help me OC my i5 3570k on Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen3

Associate
I've had this set up for a fair few years and its been running well until today. I kept getting BSOD errors so I've hopefully narrowed it down to some bad ram?

I had the CPU running at over 4ghz for a long time but now with messing about with it I've lost my OC. It's been so long I cant actually remember how I did it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
So this is the setup I was using for my 4790k and prior to that, 3770k:

Multi x45
Load Line Calibration = high
CPU voltage in offset mode = +0.020v in offset
CPU current capability 120%
Phase control extreme
VTT at 1 notch over the standard

...and enable XMP profile.

Soldato
4ghz shouldn't take much.

Set multiplier to 40, set vcore to 1.2v (which is about stock voltage) see if it boots / is stable. If not add 0.01v - 0.02v and test again, repeat until stable.

Soldato
2v? Damn dude, u got balls I'll give you that.

Did you try resetting the bios before we give up hope? Maybe the motherboard just went into safe mode rather than putting ridiculous voltage through the CPU?

On the plus side, 2nd hand 3570ks are probably pretty cheap these days, assuming you didn't fry your motherboard's vrms at the same time that is.

Associate
OP
Im about to pick up a 2nd hand i5 3570k on ebaybfor £40 but new boys comment about frying the vrm has got me worried.

At post I get a 00 code on the mobo but I cant find what that means?

Associate
00 for that board if I'm not mistaken is CPU not recognised.

:: edit ::

Bah, rechecking specific tables seems to suggest it's saying hasn't reached POST stage yet. But no word on solutions to this as its a variety of possible issues...

:: /edit ::

Soldato
It might be worth considering a 2600k over a 3570k if they are similar price. I killed my 3570k and replaced it with a 2600k which I preferred.

Edit - have you tried clearing the cmos yet though?

Associate
Reminder that 3570 maxes out at 4.0Ghz for all cores, and can run 4.2Ghz under single or cerain configs (at least on a Z77); as it's not an unlocked CPU, expect to it to be from 3.4Ghz and onwards depending on your motherboard. The 3570k is the one you'd be after if you wanted to get above 4.2Ghz on all cores. Although most probably wouldn't notice much difference really between those speeds. Keep us updated on what happens.

Back
Top Bottom