Help needed please

Associate
So i brought WD BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 Drive to go into my MSI B450 Tomahawk MB.Anyway i installed it the way the MB Manual says and it wont boot up i get the DP symbol on the monitor screen but then thats it nothing after.Ive tried pressing F11 to acess the boot menu but even that dont work. Im using a 250gb Samsung SSD already as my boot drive and also have a 1tb HD for bits and pieces as well and im planning on using the M.2 as a games drive. Has anyone got any idea whats wrong and how to rectify it?

Soldato
So i brought WD BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 Drive to go into my MSI B450 Tomahawk MB.Anyway i installed it the way the MB Manual says and it wont boot up i get the DP symbol on the monitor screen but then thats it nothing after.Ive tried pressing F11 to acess the boot menu but even that dont work. Im using a 250gb Samsung SSD already as my boot drive and also have a 1tb HD for bits and pieces as well and im planning on using the M.2 as a games drive. Has anyone got any idea whats wrong and how to rectify it?
Try going into bios by pressing delete on keyboard as you turn pc on and make sure your ssd is the boot drive in the bios and not the m2 hopefully that should sort it for you

Associate
OP
Try going into bios by pressing delete on keyboard as you turn pc on and make sure your ssd is the boot drive in the bios and not the m2 hopefully that should sort it for you
Thanks for the reply mate thats just it i cant get into the bios i just get a blank screen and when i take the M.2 out it boots up fine.Im assuming its trying to boot off the blank drive with no sucess.Is it worth creating a boot usb?

Soldato
Thanks for the reply mate thats just it i cant get into the bios i just get a blank screen and when i take the M.2 out it boots up fine.Im assuming its trying to boot off the blank drive with no sucess.Is it worth creating a boot usb?
I'd say it's trying to boot from the blank drive you should be able to get into bios from boot by keep pressing delete key repeatably you could make a bootable usb then put Windows on your new drive then switch them over but I'd try to get into bios from boot up first

Associate
OP
I'd say it's trying to boot from the blank drive you should be able to get into bios from boot by keep pressing delete key repeatably you could make a bootable usb then put Windows on your new drive then switch them over but I'd try to get into bios from boot up first
Well i tried pressing the Delete key repeatedly and it made no difference.Still just a black screen

Associate
OP
It should boot as normal from the ssd
Not mixing up M2 sata and nvme ports are you?
Assuming that motherboard has more than 1 x M2 ports I haven't seen the specs for the board

Hiya theres only one port and this is what the spec on the MSI website says
1 x M.2 slot (Key M)1
  • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD® Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD® Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices

Soldato
It should boot as normal from the ssd
Not mixing up M2 sata and nvme ports are you?
Assuming that motherboard has more than 1 x M2 ports I haven't seen the specs for the board
Yes hadn't thought of that try putting the sata cable to the ssd in another sata port incase the one youve got your ssd in is disabled due to useing m2 drive

Soldato
Hiya theres only one port and this is what the spec on the MSI website says
1 x M.2 slot (Key M)1
  • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD® Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD® Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
populating the slot with a drive will however disable two of the six available SATA ports; specifically the two right-angled ports closest to the 24-pin motherboard ATX power input.

Soldato
Right just done a search on internet looks like you might have to disconnect your ssd mate and install windows on the m2 then add your ssd go into bios then and set it to boot from ssd and save then boot into windows useing ssd and then format m2 drive should work fine then

Associate
OP
Right just done a search on internet looks like you might have to disconnect your ssd mate and install windows on the m2 then add your ssd go into bios then and set it to boot from ssd and save then boot into windows useing ssd and then format m2 drive should work fine then
Yeah thats what i was hoping to avoid but if its gotta be done then its gotta be done lol

Soldato
Shouldn't really need to do all that
Though no experience with that board at all so not saying Alex is wrong
My x570 I just installed 3 x m2
Booted it up as usual from the ssd and
Formatted the 3 x M2 job done
But guess that's a budget board so
Possible alex is correct

Soldato
Shouldn't really need to do all that
Though no experience with that board at all so not saying Alex is wrong
My x570 I just installed 3 x m2
Booted it up as usual from the ssd and
Formatted the 3 x M2 job done
But guess that's a budget board so
Possible alex is correct
I agree shouldn't have to it's a strange one wont even let him get to bios to swap it over to boot from ssd

Back
Top Bottom