• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[HELP] PC locking up completely at random during games

Caporegime
OP
btw I have noticed since enabling the XMP profile that my CPU core temps have increased, originally they were around 35 but now sit around the 45 mark (idle) :confused: Is that normal?

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, not sure, will need to check the bclk with XMP on and off, is there anyway of finding this out in windows rather than the BIOS?

XMP disabled:

nt4OHh.jpg

XMP enabled:

lYJAah.jpg

qpi voltage went from 1.1V to 1.2V

EDIT:

Yup, bus clock speed went from 133MHz to 160MHz

EDIT:

A bit of topic from the issue I am having but..........how much performance gain will I get from this XMP being enabled as it also ups the CPU a bit? We only talking about a few FPS in games, would it help minimum FPS? Trying to decide if it is worth it for the 10 degree increase in temps :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I have just disabled the XMP profile as I was actually getting too hot from the heat being put out :o :p and the increase in the CPU fan cooler noise (gelid tranquillo with gelid fan) was noticeable, a quiet system is a must for me (PC case is literally right next to me on my desk and is left on over night a fair bit), now my temps are around the 30 degree mark (idle), it is actually a 15 degree difference :eek:

Will enable XMP again, when/if I get a new/better CPU cooler or/and a better case.

So, will have to test the games out again, this time with just the "performance enhance" mode set to "standard" and if it still happens, do I just set the qpi/vtt voltage shown here to 1.32V, despite the memory running at 1.5V and 1333MHz again as opposed to 1.65V and 1600MHz?

Caporegime
OP
All CPU info. at stock clocks/XMP disabled below, so more or less, it is using 1V.

OWDl2.png

EDIT:

And bios photo with stock:

Z9e1Vh.jpg

If the problem isn't fixed, I will do as you said in your last post there.

Caporegime
OP
Don't worry, fixing the lock up issue is still my main priority :)

Just had a couple of hours gaming session on FC 3 and no lock up so far.......... *touch wood* This is with just the power enhance mode set to standard as opposed to turbo mode.

When/If the lock up issue does happen again then the next thing I will do, is change the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.32V and hopefully that will be it sorted once and for all!

@Gregster

Thanks and indeed! Once again, wazza has been extremely helpful with my problems/questions! It is much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
TBH if the issue is solved with the standard preset for performance enhance and/or the qpi voltage change, I might just leave the CPU core voltage etc. for the time being, as long as the temps (including noise levels) and performance is good and most importantly stable, then I am happy with the PC for the time being :), extremely tempted to do all this overclocking, undervolting etc. stuff now though! :p Have learned a lot about it from this thread and messing around in the BIOS etc., previously I didn't have a clue :o

Caporegime
OP
Ok, I will enable the XMP profile again then and in order to stop the temperature of the CPU cores rising by 15 degrees, I adjust the "CPU vCore" in the this area of the BIOS, right?

http://i.imgur.com/NdRaoh.jpg

Just set it to "normal"?

And that is all I have to do in order to have good CPU core temps and the RAM running at 1600MHz and of course the system being stable :p

Caporegime
OP
Ok thanks very much! :) if it is unstable, what will happen? Will the pc just not boot up, crash/lockup more often?

What about the qpi/vtt voltage? Should I just leave it for the time being?

Caporegime
OP
If I clear the cmos to reset the bios settings, will my sata control mode be put back to ide as well? Really don't want to do another reinstall of windows :p

Suppose I could just leave the dvid setting and see how the temps and stability are with just the cpu vcore set to normal and if it isn't good enough then try the dvid setting?

Caporegime
OP
Ah ok, just I thought you couldn't go from ide to ahci without reinstalling windows otherwise the drive wouldn't be found thus pc wouldn't boot into windows etc.

Right, later on today, I will try the following and see what the outcome is:

- enable xmp

And

- set cpu vcore to normal

If the temps have increased by 10+ degrees then:

- adjust dvid

Or

If temps have remained the same or decreased then:

- let it be and monitor stability etc.

And take it from there, sound good?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Previous GPU was:

HIS 4850 turbo iceQ4 512MB

I enabled the XMP profile and set CPU vcore to the "normal" preset mode this morning, only had about a hour and a bit of gaming on FC 3 and so far still no lock up *touch wood* Hoping that the "turbo" to "standard" preset mode for power enhancement has fixed it.

Core voltage according to CPU-Z is always at 1.024V now as opposed to 0.896V at idle and 1.104V at load (far cry 3 running) when I only enabled XMP and kept Vcore set to "auto"

Temps are lower at idle, around 30-35 degrees for all 4 cores, however, it is quite a bit cooler today and since the core voltage is higher at idle now, I am guessing temps will be a bit higher than what they were last night, which was around 45 degrees, on the plus side, the load temps should be a bit lower though! How much of a temperature drop will there be if I change the dvid to what you suggested wazza?

EDIT:

IGNORE THAT! GOT SCREENSHOTS MIXED UP!

The 0.896V @ idle and 1.104V at load is with XMP disabled and vcore set to auto.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
According to CPU Z;

XMP enabled and vcore set to auto:

Idle - 0.896V
Load (FC 3) - 1.104V

XMP enabled and vcore set to normal:

Idle - 1.024V
Load (FC 3) - 1.024V

EDIT:

IGNORE THAT! GOT SCREENSHOTS MIXED UP!

The 0.896V @ idle and 1.104V at load is with XMP disabled and vcore set to auto.

EDIT:

Thinking of buying a coolermaster megaflow 200mm for the top of my bitfenix raider :p should drops the temps even further (for everything) then and hopefully reduce the noise overall?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hard to say if there is much performance difference in games etc. but I will try to keep it at this (XMP enabled and CPU Vcore set to normal) for a bit and see how things go with temps. etc. If all is good enough then I might as well keep the OC, probably gain a few FPS or so in games, every little bit helps! :p

Don't you think it is better overall to keep the CPU vcore set to normal instead of auto?

Caporegime
OP
I may try the dvid later on then and see if it is stable. Going to make sure this lockup issue is gone first though.

Since changing from turbo to standard, no lock ups so far.........however, it is very random, could be fine for days but then happen like 5 or so times in one day. Going to play black ops II now as it happened a lot more in that game than far cry 3. So strange the way it randomly happens and only happens in 2 games out of like 5 :confused:

Caporegime
OP
It just happened again there in BO II, this is with:

- xmp enabled
- performance enhance mode set to "standard" instead of "turbo"
- CPU Vcore set to" normal" instead of "auto"

This time when I hit the restart button the noise of the audio went all "crackly"

So now I will change the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.32V in this part of the BIOS?

NdRaoh.jpg

Should I disable XMP, put CPU vcore back to "auto" and put performance enhance mode back to "turbo" or leave them as they currently are?

Caporegime
OP
It just happened again :( after about 45 to 60 minutes of black ops 2.

Could it be the psu then? Unfortunately I don't have a spare to try out.

Caporegime
OP
Ok changed it to 1.35V now. Just noticed though that when I go to the advanced memory settings, it still shows the profile qpi voltage as 1.2V, is that being over written with my manual changes in the advanced voltage sub menu or is the XMP profile for it still applying despite me manually changing the qpi/vtt?

UZKYCh.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Yeah probably did.

Trying BO II again with the 1.35V (XMP enabled etc.) and lock up happened again.

So will disable XMP now and set qpi/vtt to 1.31V (1.32V isn't available) and just leave the speed at 1333MHz?

What about the CPU Vcore, should I set it back to "auto" too?

Back
Top Bottom